How many bottles once you introduce rice etc.

huggybear

Reaction score
Hey there

am in dire need of some advice, i am swotting up on weaning etc (My LO is not ready yet but will probably start within the next month) but want to be in the know for when he is, at the moment he has 5 8oz bottles in a 24 hour period and weights 18lbs, my question is once you have starting LO on baby rice and having sponfuls after bottles etc do you keep LOs on the 5 8oz bottles in the 24 hour period, it does seem rather alot or do you then start dropping bottles?? jeez i know nothing!!! help!!! (BTW he wakes once in the night for a bottle but i am going to try dreamfeeding him this before i go to bed) - hope i make sense.

thanks ladies!!

x

Don't drop bottles. Your LO will drop them himself, don't force it. For the first year food is just a supplement, milk is their main source of nutrition :) HTH X

great thanks for this, so should he still be draining 5 8oz bottles and baby rice (then after a few weeks purees) all in a space of 24 hours, wow that sounds loads, should if be worried if he only took 5 6oz bottles, the reason i ask is that my HV said 8oz was too much milk but i didnt really want to wean early and i would ask my HV but it literally costs me £5 (in parking) everytime i go see her and its literally a whole day out and i just cannot be a*sed, shes a right moody cow as well so i feel more comfortable asking here really... ta very much.x

I breastfed so I have no idea on bottle amounts but if he's happy on that amount now, then keep it at that amount when you start to wean. I used to give Amelie a bit of baby rice mixed with milk about 2 hours before her bed time feed when we first started out. We worked our way up to 2 meals a day so I put the baby rice in the morning and some veg puree for dinner.. then eventually she got to 3 meals. However, it wasn't until she was about 3 months into weaning that she started to drop her feeds. Now she has 4 feeds a day. I'll write out our routine so you understand what I mean..

On waking at 6.30-7ish - Breastfeed
8.30-9ish - breakfast
11ish - breastfeed then nap
12.30-1ish - lunch
3ish - breastfeed then nap
5.30 - dinner
7 - breastfeed then bed

So even now at 9 months she still has quite a lot of milk and still has a breastfeed every 4-5 hours.

fantastic, thats really helpful, cor it must feel like your constantly feeding LOsm hey i wonder how back in the day when mums had to return to work after 12 weeks did this, must of been hard!! thanks so much for your advice, really helpful. x

I have found that since we started weaning, the entire day seems to revolve around breastfeeding or food! :dohh:

I would question that 8oz of milk is too much! My LO is about 3 weeks older than yours and takes 9oz at each feed (45oz over 24 hours) and she is not eating solids.

Won't a baby just vomit it all up if he's eating too much? I really don't believe a baby understands what greed is at that age. I think he's just eating until he's full :shrug:

Yeah I agree. I'm a firm believer that you can't overfeed a young baby.

I wouldnt say it was too much either - sometimes we can do 9oz and even 10oz on occasion. We aim for 5 x 8oz carton and 5 x 7oz powder and all I can see is we're going to be doing a few 8oz/9oz feeds soon the bigger she gets.
For 18lb I would aim for 45oz powder and 50oz carton if it's like sma gold where you add an extra ounce for carton.

Upon reading this I'm feeling quite worried. My lo is 4 months and has had failure to thrive and is only on 6oz 5-6 times a day as he won't take more and is weighing in atm at 12 14 1/2 pounds.

I have been told once on regular food they should have 500ml a day ontop, but until then for them to carry on with bottles as normal. Hope this is of some use?

Upon reading this I'm feeling quite worried. My lo is 4 months and has had failure to thrive and is only on 6oz 5-6 times a day as he won't take more and is weighing in atm at 12 14 1/2 pounds.

I have been told once on regular food they should have 500ml a day ontop, but until then for them to carry on with bottles as normal. Hope this is of some use?

My friend's baby weighs only a couple of ounces more than yours, at 6 months, and is fine, just has a small apetite. She's BF so don't know how much she's drinking.

I think 6oz 5-6 times a day sounds pretty average for a 4m old.

You're right about 500ml minimum on top of solids, but that is at 6 months. If you need to wean earlier for whatever reason, the solids should be in addition to the milk, not instead of.

Don't worry, Freya is 5 months, on 6-7oz 5 times a day and weighs around 13lb.

Everyone says she is pretty small, but I don't care, she is perfect to me and there are plenyy of smaller babies. They all catch up in the end anyway. :)

as mentioned the main point is tht before 6 months the food should be in addition to the solids..

luisa was having 40ozs of milk and 2 meals at 5 months

now at 6 months she is having about 25ozs and three meals

she is about 16lbs now

hth

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g