how many embryos ?

raf-wife

Reaction score
at my recent consultation i was asked to go home and consider single embryo transfer. when we were told we needed ivf we talked long and hard and decided we would want 2 embryos if possible, now im having to think again :shrug: im interested to know what you ladies have decided and why ?

I was the same and always thought put back 2. Then at our consultation fs tried to persuade us into SET. But in the end we had 3 transfered - and that was the fs decision.

Obviously it is something to think about - but you can't really make the decision until you know how many you have and what quality they are.

Best wishes. xo

Well i was recently told that by having two put back it only increased your chances of a BFP by 5% not doubling the chances like what i thought...

My hospital would advise SET and 3 day transfer but I have always asked for two to be put back.

Like Blue said... its hard to say until you know what stage they get to and how many but whatever you decide good luck!!! :hugs:

My FS told me that he'll put back 2 embryos if/when we do IVF.

We had two put back in, and as someone else mentions it only increases your chances of twins of 5%..

x

Putting back two embryos seems to be the norm here in the US. However, DH and I decided on SET. We wanted to do that from the beginning and our decision was solidified when we had a lot of good quality embryos to work with. We had five day 5 blasts to choose from so we picked the best one to have put back in and froze the other four. If our embryos weren't as good of a quality, we may have considered putting back two instead. Anyway, our SET worked and I am now 15 weeks pregnant.

So partly the decision was based on the fact that we definitely didn't want multiples and also based on our embryo quality. Good luck with your decision. I know it was agonizing for us to decide.

Hi Raf-wife,

We just went with 1, which is very much the practice here in Australia.

Putting back 2 increases your chance of pregnancy by only 5%, but it increases your chance of twins by 50%.

Unless you know for sure you'd be happy with twins, and you aren't worried about the risks of multiple pregnancy I'd go with one.

But ultimately it's whatever you feel is right for you. People who are self funding often go with two or more because they are less able to count on going back for another try if this one doesn't work.

Good luck to you honey :hugs:

we went with 1 as well... not by choice, law is different here. the 1st try you always only get one transferred.

i wanted 2 but that just wasn't an option... i'm now glad though we didn't do that. given how sick i've already been with just this 1, i cannot imagine what 2 would have given me!

hi we're having 1
but only because twins run in my family. So have risk of twins with 2 embreyos but then if both them eggs are twins could end up with 4 babies. am I'm only a very petite girl could NOT handle 4!

I think 1 is sensible as it does increase your chance of getting pregnant with 2 but the risks are so high if you have twins.
I'm sure whatever you decide will be right for you. Sound like you and hubs are being quite rational about it
x

I had first thought that two would be fine based on it increasing our chances of having one and worse case snarios we have twins is no big deal and we'll have to have less IVF in the future to reach our desired brood of four :)

However, since then i have been reading about the age of the embryos when they are implanted and if you wait until they are Blasocyst then your chances are much better of a successful implantation so asssuming that is an option that is available to me, i will have a single blastocyst transfer.

I can't help but feel that risking twins isn't worth it.

Increased risk of a c-sec.
Increased risk of premature/low birth weight babies that can't go home right away.
Less one on one intereaction with baby as it grows.
Double the financial demand.

I mean, all of these things aren't the end of the world but i personally wouldn't select to have them.

I might ofcourse change my mind if i have a failed attempt, but at least then i feel it would be justified :)

I had first thought that two would be fine based on it increasing our chances of having one and worse case snarios we have twins is no big deal and we'll have to have less IVF in the future to reach our desired brood of four :)

However, since then i have been reading about the age of the embryos when they are implanted and if you wait until they are Blasocyst then your chances are much better of a successful implantation so asssuming that is an option that is available to me, i will have a single blastocyst transfer.

I can't help but feel that risking twins isn't worth it.

Increased risk of a c-sec.
Increased risk of premature/low birth weight babies that can't go home right away.
Less one on one intereaction with baby as it grows.
Double the financial demand.

I mean, all of these things aren't the end of the world but i personally wouldn't select to have them.

I might ofcourse change my mind if i have a failed attempt, but at least then i feel it would be justified :)

Once upon a time I would have thought that having twins would be quite cool but you have just given me a complete reality check!!! One will be quite enough I think without all that palarva! I always worried about the expense as well since its two of everything and nappies cost a fortune. Also the fact of the night feeds with one possibly asleep and the other awake and then one baby waking the other up and both screaming = no sleep all night! :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->