How many losses until entitled to testing?

Discussion in 'Miscarriage Support' started by zoe87, Dec 22, 2009.

1. zoe87

zoe87 Im a new mammy!

Hi ladies
    just wondering if anyone could help me out. Ive suffered two losses and was told i could not get tested until a third loss? I feel this is very unfair and wondered if you's were told the same?

2. catfromaus

catfromaus Mum to angel Aiden Lynne

Yep, its the same in Aus. I know it sucks! Fingers crossed that you won't need the testing anyway.

Cat
    xxx

3. Smiler13

Smiler13 Well-Known Member

hi zoe, sorry for your losses. For NHS testing it's three in a row (i.e. with no babies in-between), except in cases of losses after the first trimester. One of the reasons given for this is that statistically it isn't uncommon to have two miscarriages (though that doesn't help when it happens to you!), so lots of women who experience this don't need the tests.

Many doctors will accept referrals for testing after two losses for private patients.

4. shocker

shocker Well-Known Member

hey zoe, im sorry to hear of your two losses but unfortunatly they dont offer tests unless you have at least 3 because apparently the chances of 2 just being bad luck is pretty high and many woman get sticky beans 3rd time around, good luck :hugs:

5. lauraperrysan

lauraperrysan Mummy of 2!! :)

just echoing what the other ladies said, 3 looses in a row for the nhs to start tesing....chances are still very good to carry to term xxx

6. kelly2903

kelly2903 mum2princess an expectin

3 in a row hun sorry you have to wait that long its unfair xxxx

7. fluffyblue

fluffyblue Loving being mommy

With my clinic its three in a row unless your over 35 then it two.

Although if you have a good GP they probably will send you if you ask nicely lol I mean cry scream stamp etc etc.

8. Widger

Widger Mummy at last

It does depend on where you live and how your consultant at the local hospital feels about mcs. The majority would say 3 mcs in a row but my consultant believes that 2 mcs is enough trauma for someone to go through so they put through testing then.

Sorry for your losses xx

9. zoe87

zoe87 Im a new mammy!

Thanks ladies i think it might be worth talking to my doctor about...Id just feel awful if i fell pregnant again and m/c knowing there could of maybe been a chance i could of prevented if id known (i.e if it was sometrhing wrong with me x

10. Rumpskin

Rumpskin Free to try again!

I was told after my second that i couldnt get tested until I had another - 6 months after my third, we are finally being tested.

Good luck lovely xxx

11. caz81

caz81 Well-Known Member

in leicester it is 2 in a row s maybe it varies depending on where you live?