How many oz at 3 weeks?

LittleNikki

Reaction score
As the title suggests I'm interested to see how many oz per feed your 3 week old takes. My 2nd son is 3 weeks tomorow and was taking 3-4 oz every 2-3 hours which I thought seemed like quite a lot for his age.

Then today at 8am he polished off his 4oz and was looking for more so made him another 2oz which he drank most of, so almost 6oz, he then slept for 4 hours before waking for a feed and again drained 4oz so offered another 2 and he drank most of that again. 3.5hrs later he woke for another feed, this time I made him 5oz and he took most of it.

Does this seem like a lot per feed for his age or ok since he has been going longer between his feeds?

My 1st son was breast fed till 4 months so never formula fed a newborn but I'm sure he only took 5 oz per feed when he started on formula

That sounds totally fine to me! And I wouldn't worry about his age. My son also was asking for more than was typical at that age, so when I looked it up I learned it was better to go by weight. (general rule of thumb is about 2.5 to 3.5 ounces per pound of body weight). And then we were like, duh! Of course! He was born at ten pounds. Of course he needs more than what the box recommends for the average newborn. :)

And yeah, because he was able to take more at one time, he also slept a lot longer in between. It was great!

Well my son wasn't huge, he was born at 8lb6oz and my 1st was 9lb4oz but since he was breast fed he used to snack quite a lot rather than take big feeds. Think it was just the thought that my son was on 5-6oz at 4 months that made me think it was maybe to much

Oh also lastnight he did do a 6 hour stretch between feeds so maybe he just felt the need to make up for it today

My almost 4 week old has been having anywhere between 2 and 4 ounces each feed, sometimes she will drink the whole 4oz in one go but not often she will have about 3oz and then want another ounce an hour later! She likes little and often in the evening.

The past 2 days I've kept track of how many oz he drinks in a day. He has been having about 33oz in 24 hours which seems a lot since I've read he should have about 2.5oz for every lb he weighs and on kindly he was 10lb4 which would mean about 25oz in 24 hours and I've read they should never really have more than 32oz in 24 hours.

Could it be that ha is just having a growth spurt and that's why he's drinking so much or do I just have a greedy little boy lol

I wouldn't worry too much about the rule of no more than 32 ounces a day. I think that's just a general guideline, same as when they state an adult person of such and such age/weight needs X amount of calories per day. But then, you also learn it varies considerably depending on the activity level of the person. Babies are individuals too, all with different needs.

But if it would ease your worries, maybe you could call the doctor's office or something and doublecheck with them?

DD is having 2-3oz every 2-3 hours. I agree with the pp that I don't think it's anything to worry about but if you're not sure then you should speak to your doctor who should be able to put your mind at ease.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->