How many oz at 4 weeks old? (Formula Feeding)

RainbowDrop_x

Reaction score
DD will be 4 weeks old on Friday and I'm just wondering about her eating habits.

Currently she takes 2-3oz every 3/4 hours (we feed on demand) and some days she'll cluster feed an oz here or there. I don't feel like it's enough. When the MW came out on day 10 she weighed her and made a fuss of the fact she hadn't gone back to birth weight. (She was 8lb at birth, 7lbs 11oz on day 10). The same MW also identified tongue tie and said we needed to look in to getting it snipped as it could effect feeding and later in life her speech. With regard to the tongue tie she told me information would be in the leaflets I got from the hospital but because I'm not BFing I didn't get the relevant leaflet so when I asked my HV he told me that becuase DD isn't BF she doesn't need it snipping.

She's been taking 2-3oz since the day she came out of hospital. We always make up extra in case she wants more so it's not like we're being extremely regimental in only giving her 3oz I just thought that by now she would've upped her intake :shrug: (I have no idea if her tongue tie is related to lack of intake)

I'm not sure what she weighs at the moment as I missed weighing day so I'll take her along next week but I was just wondering what your 4 week old took/or takes per bottle to see if it's about right or if I'm just being a neurotic mother and worrying too much :shrug:

At 4 weeks old she should be consuming roughly 24 ounces over a 24hr period.

I'm not sure if it varies for breastfed babies but my son didn't take anywhere near 4 ounces every 4hrs at that age. :shrug:

My wee one was taking about 4-5oz every 4 hours in the day but not really waking through the night. She put on weight brilliantly then slowed down, due to a cows milk allergy (went from 50th centile to 25th) - I would go to your GP and ask to be referred to a paediatrician. Take your babies growth charts. It could be due to the tongue tie, or it could be the milk not suiting your baby. My baby started refusing feeds and it turned out to be her developing an allergy, which we didn't suspect in the slightest, she is now on hypoallergenic milk and doing great again. This is probably not the case with your baby but we had to be really proactive in finding a solution - definitely get referred to a paediatrician in the first instance.

At 4 weeks old she should be consuming roughly 24 ounces over a 24hr period.

I'm not sure if it varies for breastfed babies but my son didn't take anywhere near 4 ounces every 4hrs at that age. :shrug:

It does feel a bit like concerns differ depending on feeding method. The MW that weighed her on day 10 said that if she was BF the weight drop wouldn't have been a concern but because she's FF it was :wacko:

My wee one was taking about 4-5oz every 4 hours in the day but not really waking through the night. She put on weight brilliantly then slowed down, due to a cows milk allergy (went from 50th centile to 25th) - I would go to your GP and ask to be referred to a paediatrician. Take your babies growth charts. It could be due to the tongue tie, or it could be the milk not suiting your baby. My baby started refusing feeds and it turned out to be her developing an allergy, which we didn't suspect in the slightest, she is now on hypoallergenic milk and doing great again. This is probably not the case with your baby but we had to be really proactive in finding a solution - definitely get referred to a paediatrician in the first instance.

DD wakes every 3/4 hours day & night. She doesn't refuse feeds by any stretch, if anything she's quite an eager feeder just never seems to take more than 3oz on any bottle :shrug:

Don't worry how often she is feeding or how much per feed, its more about how much in a 24h period. What formula are they on? Check the feeding guide on the tub.

my boy is 4 weeks tomorrow and on 4oz.. nearly taking 5oz

x

edit. my boy is also tounge tie x

I would say as long as you're feeding on demand that sounds perfectly fine. It's very normal for baby's to lose weight and take a bit to regain their birth weight (mine was BF at that age, but didn't come back to birth weight until day 26, which was a bit of a cause for concern at the time). But she sounds like she's eating well and putting on weight. We didn't switch to using bottles until 6 weeks, but I would say around that time my daughter was having about 2oz, maybe 3 on occassion, every 3-4 hours, fed on demand, but from birth to 4 weeks, I would have been surprised if she had more than 1-2 oz per feed. She just wasn't a big eater. There are some babies who eat huge amounts from early on and there are some that snack a bit more, which is all perfectly fine as long as they're growing okay.

You can see how the tongue tie affects her. It can sometimes cause issues down the line, but not always. My daughter didn't have a tongue tie, but she did have what they called a "short tongue" which is basically the same except there's nothing you can do about it. She also has a lip tie and bubble palate, all of which caused latching issues. She struggled to latch to and feed from even a bottle until she was about 5 months. It was really obvious and she would always pop on and off and was slow to feed and very noisy while eating. It eventually sorted itself out and none of it has made any difference since (she's 3 now). It's worth getting it evaluated if you're concerned. Your HV or GP should be able to refer you. But if it's not causing any obvious trouble, then you might not bother.

My lo was taking 3-4oz every 3-4hrs! She nearly seven weeks and still only taking 4oz but she was weighed this week and hv said her weight gain was perfect!
If ur lo is not refusing feeds I think that amount would be fine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->