How many weeks is it normal to have first scan??? Please?

babyclements

Reaction score
Ok, so I found out I was pregnant thursday :) only TTC for a month, io came off my nuvaring and had withdrawl period May 10th, if I was to fall into a regular 28 day cycle my O date would of been May 23rd/24th.... But thing is I really dont know when I O'd. So I could be just 2 or 3 weeks IF i O'd a week early. Anyway was to have my 1st scan on june 15th but I didnt want to have it too early incase we couldnt see heart beat so rang them to push it back 2 weeks just incase, so I will be at the earliest 9wks and 4 days latest 10 weeks 4days.
This is fine right?
I know heart isnt developed till 6/7 weeks so would much rather be later to be incase its too early to see anything.
Am I endangering anything not coming in till almost 10/11 weeks?
What do they usually do the 2nd scan? Ist that normally at 12 weeks?
Sorry for all the questions
Thanks guys!

I think it varies from country to country, then region to region and also based on your previous health and pregnancy history.

For example most women in the UK do not get a scan until 12 weeks plus. It seems to be different in the USA with some women getting a scan at 6ish weeks.

Yeah 6 weeks just seems a little early for me, I wouldnt wanna go till you can at least see a HB cos I would be worried that I didnt see anything and I would freak!
I am from Ireland, moved to US last year so the world of medicine here is new to me....

Nothing to add to what Housewife83 wrote. I'm sure some US ladies will be along with more advice.
Leaving it later is fine I'd say, unless you have any concerns.
Congratulations by the way.

I'm in Canada and I won't get my first scan until I'm about 14 weeks. I have my physical on the 21st and I'll almost be 13 weeks.

In the US, I think it is dependent on your pregnancy history and your provider. I had a scan at 7 weeks (profile pic) and clearly saw the heartbeats, but I think if you have no history of MC or problems with pregnancy and no other reason to be considered high risk, 12 is pretty normal. Personally I would inform my doctor and do what he or she suggests as far as when to get the scan. Good luck!

I'm in Canada and I won't get my first scan until I'm about 14 weeks. I have my physical on the 21st and I'll almost be 13 weeks.

Thanks for this info! I'm finding it quite hard to find info on what the normal procedure is in Canada and this helps a lot!

In the US, I think it is dependent on your pregnancy history and your provider. I had a scan at 7 weeks (profile pic) and clearly saw the heartbeats, but I think if you have no history of MC or problems with pregnancy and no other reason to be considered high risk, 12 is pretty normal. Personally I would inform my doctor and do what he or she suggests as far as when to get the scan. Good luck!

WOW TWINS!! Now thats a shock :D
Congrats !!!

Agree with above posters, I was told 18/20 weeks, but was offered an early risk assessment and scan at 12 weeks....

So, about 12 weeks is average....depends what your obgyn/midwife is like, how high risk you are...

Also if you present with cramping or bleeding, they often offer an earlier scan.

My baby measured at 11+5 at our scan and looked like an actual little baby, which was so nice, before 7 weeks you don't see much....I think you are right to push it back.

my first scan is scheduled when I'm 7+2, but the doc was going off my LMP and not my true ovulation (grr) - so it's my "8 to 10 week scan" just a wee bit early. I can't complain, I'm too eager to hear baby's heartbeat!

congrats and best wishes!

(I live in the USA, by the way. one of the few, it seems sometimes. ;D)

Hi! My first scan is at 11wks, was actually relieved that it was a little later on so I could see more. If you're a high risk they normally do early scans. Then generally can see the heartbeat around 6 weeks, and I think that's through an internal scan.

My doc does them at 8 and 20 weeks. If you want an NT scan (which we do), that is done at 12-13 weeks.

It really depends on your dr. at least in Canada anyway. I have many friends here who haven't had an ultrasound until around 12 weeks, just to check on things, and then the next one is at 18 weeks. Though I've always had early ultrasounds. Last time was to check the dates because we weren't sure when I ovulated (and my doc was a bit of a quack) and this time is to check dates again, but because I miscarried back in april....my dr thinks it's odd that I would have ovulated so early after my miscarriage, so he wants to see what things look like....then depending on whether or not we see the heartbeat, we might have to go again to make sure baby's heart is beating well, and then no more until 18 weeks.

Some dr's here just wont send you for an u/s until around 12 weeks though...that's just how they do things...

so it's very much a case by case thing...I think regardless of where you are.

I am in the US, with my DD they did a scan between 6-7 weeks, they do it to date it, even if you are SURE what your dates are, they insist on it liability, malpractice etc. My LMP was 05/06 and my first appt is 06/29, going by my LMP I should be about 7w 6 days on 06/29. This is a new OB for me, they would've got me in sooner but the OB I wanted is on vacation and her 1st day back is 06/29

my hospital does genetic screening and first trimester scan, so 11-12 wks is normal for the first scan unless they see a reason otherwise to have an early scan

I am in the US, with my DD they did a scan between 6-7 weeks, they do it to date it, even if you are SURE what your dates are, they insist on it liability, malpractice etc. My LMP was 05/06 and my first appt is 06/29, going by my LMP I should be about 7w 6 days on 06/29. This is a new OB for me, they would've got me in sooner but the OB I wanted is on vacation and her 1st day back is 06/29

Your dates are almost the same as mine! My LMP was 5/5 and my first ob/gyn visit is on 6/29. Wanna be bump buddies? :happydance:

Its best to have the firt can at 7 weeks. I had one at 7 weeks and another one at 10 weeks. I have had an MMC before, so the doc saw me at 7 and 10 weeks.
Before 7 weeks, I imagine, its kinda hard for some to find a hearbeat and to date it correctly. So its to best to wait.

i was sent for an early scan due to my history of miscarriages. they said i was 5wks 4days and we saw a strong heartbeat! i was amazed that it was there when it was so young!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->