How much is statutory maternity pay after tax etc?

toffee87

Reaction score
Hi, out of curiosity how much is SMP after tax and NI?

I'm not expecting yet, I earn around £15,500 a year and when I do eventually go on maternity pay it'd be SMP alone.

Just want an idea of how much tax comes off?

Thanks x

90% of your average weekly earnings (before tax) for the first 6 weeks

then

£136.78 or 90% of your average weekly earnings (whichever is lower) for the next 33 weeks

and then child benefit is about £20.30 or something like that, i just put that straight into my LO's account though

I think it depends on how your company works. on my payslip the SMP was taxed so I wouldn't have got the full amount but then my company refunded some tax every month that I had paid on my previous wages for the year so I ended up getting more than the SMP amount each month.

Its best to ask your HR cos there are so many different ways it can be done.

If ur only gettin smp u would only be paying NI on it because just smp wouldn't meet the tax threshold for u to be taxed

If ur only gettin smp u would only be paying NI on it because just smp wouldn't meet the tax threshold for u to be taxed

That's only true if you haven't met the tax threshold YTD. In other words if you have earnt over 10,000 already in that tax year your smp will be taxed. Obviously it all depends on when during the tax year you have to go on mat leave.

The above post isn't quite correct. As an employee taxed through the PAYE system 1/12 of your personal allowance (on a cumulative basis) is allocated to each month. So if you earn over £9,440 (current personal allowance) you will have already paid tax on the excess each month. Once you drop to SMP (after the first 6 weeks) you won't pay any tax as it is below the threshold. You will actually get some of the tax back you've previously paid. The NIC threshold is higher than basic SMP so you wont pay any of that either. So basically you get the full £136.78 a week.

Thanks for tht kitten-b

I am currently in a battle to get all of my SMP cos my wanker of a boss thinks it's ok to just give me what he fancies! Xx

Thanks ladies, so how come one poster said £500 a month?

because £136.78 x 4 = £547.12

on 15k a year this is how much you specifically will get ...

First 6 weeks £259.62 a week
Next 33 weeks £136.78 a week
Total estimated SMP £6,071.43

I have been getting about £580 per month and was getting confused as thats more than I shoukd get, makes sense now as im getting some tax I paid previously

I was getting approx 580 pm inc approx 10-15 tax back. Lowest I got one month was about 540. I was on about 14.5k before. I am now on approx 12k and have budgeted approx 580 again, knowing some months it will be less.

Xx

So how many months did u get the 547 for?

I was on a salary he gave me the first 6 weeks correct then nothin for 2 weeks notlw giving me 547 but obviously there's more than 4 weeks per month all those extra days is money I am missin out on

So how many months did u get the 547 for?

I was on a salary he gave me the first 6 weeks correct then nothin for 2 weeks notlw giving me 547 but obviously there's more than 4 weeks per month all those extra days is money I am missin out on

it will depend on your salary?

you should phone the maternity action line

https://www.maternityaction.org.uk/adviceline.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back