How much life does a real Xmas tree have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

comicwife

Proud mum of 4
Reaction score
I would love to try a real Xmas tree this year but I also like to put my Xmas tree up at the beginning of December :happydance: and take it down after Newyear :happydance:

Would that be too early/long to have a real Xmas tree up for before it started dying/dropping needles on me lol

We get our real tree a couple of weeks before Christmas and take it down on the traditional 12th night of Christmas. Our tree is still in great condition when we take it down.

How long they last depends on how you treat them. Ours is always placed away from radiators and kept watered. A friend of mine couldn't work out why her tree was dropping needles all over the place until I pointed out it was put in front of a radiator.

We buy ours on the 1st Dec and take it down around 28th Dec (I just want the house tidy again after Christmas) and it's always still in a good condition.

They get cut down at the same time so it doesn't really matter when you buy them. They might even last longer the earlier you buy them cos you can put them in water. We get ours late November and it lasts until we throw it out in January. In fact I expect it would last longer- we throw it out still good as new.

Thank you ladies this is good to know:thumbup:
Also can I ask what does the tree stand in?? As I noticed you all mention water lol and do you need to get a special stand for it?
Thanks ladies:flower:

You either have your tree in a stand or you can get it blocked. Blocked is where it is put into a lump of tree so it has a base to stand in. But you can't water a blocked tree.

You can get all sorts of stands. We changed out plastic one when we first had kids for a heavy metal one (I need 2 hands to lift it) for safety reasons. You can spend what you like on a stand. I like ones with spikes in the center as it saves hassle spending ages trying to get the tree straight.

I've always got a block for the bottom of the tree, it's always come with the tree. I've also never water the tree and it's lasted.

We get one around the 6th and it lasts :) we put it into a metal stand and water it.... not sure how often, just whenever it runs out i fill it back up

Thank you ladies you are all being really helpful :flower:

My next question is how and where do you go about buying a real tree? Lol

I know you can buy real trees in supermarkets or at the garden centres but whenever I have looked in the past they are always quite small in height and bushiness ( my artificial tree is 7ft tall and 5ft wide at the bottom ) so I am use to big bushy trees and I would love a real one that's similar.
I would love to go and pick my own to be cut down so how would I go about doing this??

Does anyone else do this with real Xmas trees? :flower:

I have never seen a pick nd cut option, i think they exist but are pretty rare.
I go to boughton house for mine (dno if thats any help) but most the farms/garden centres/stately homes we usually offer xmas trees for sale, we take ages to pick. They are usually in price sections, different types etc

sorry if that is hard to read, wiggly baby on lap so typing using my left hand :dohh:

edit: just seen ure in scotland, so boughton house would be quite the journey hahah

I have never seen a pick nd cut option, i think they exist but are pretty rare.
I go to boughton house for mine (dno if thats any help) but most the farms/garden centres/stately homes we usually offer xmas trees for sale, we take ages to pick. They are usually in price sections, different types etc

sorry if that is hard to read, wiggly baby on lap so typing using my left hand :dohh:

edit: just seen ure in scotland, so boughton house would be quite the journey hahah

Lol I know that feeling well doing everything one handed lol
So I'm guessing if I look on google I might be able to find somewhere :happydance:
Hopefully someone from Scotland might come on and recommend me somewhere at least that way I know they are good trees:happydance:

I do go to a pick and cut but we live in the country. We have few estates locally who have Xmas tree farms as well but only one is pick and cut so they are rare.

Before the pick and cut opened we went to an estate where the trees were in rough height groups and it's just a case of looking through until you find the right tree and then they net it.

I would just google to see if there is a pick and cut somewhere near you.

We get ours from our local garden centre. There are always hundreds to pick from and are all out on display and once you have picked, they net it for you.
Our Christmas tree is always 7/8ft tall and very bushy.
This was our tree last year:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 8
We have had ours up for 2 months before, and it lasts but usually put up 2nd week in December and take down new years day

We get ours from our local garden centre. There are always hundreds to pick from and are all out on display and once you have picked, they net it for you.
Our Christmas tree is always 7/8ft tall and very bushy.
This was our tree last year:

Your tree is sooooo pretty!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g