How much money do you want to save up?

kate.m.

Mummy to Travis
Reaction score
If anyone finds this question too nosey, of course you dont have to answer! :muaha:

But i was just wondering- those people who are saving up for when they have a baby- how much are you planning on saving? I really havent got a clue as to how much would be a good figure! I mean,theres maternity leave to think about, and then i suppose it depends on if its ur 1st or not (eg getting stuff out of the loft!). Im not sure whether i should set an amount to aim for, or whether i should just put bits of £ away "as & when" & just see how much we've got when our ttc date comes round.

£1500 for baby stuff and think about mat leave nearer the time, depending on how much we're earning!

We are just putting away what we can and whatever we have will be a bonus at the time. We are not waiting until we have X ammount before we start TTC though so it isn't really that big an issue for us. I think if we wait till we can afford it on paper or bank statements we will never do it!

xxx

I'd like to have £2,000 put aside for all baby's stuff and nursery etc.

i'm trying to save as much as i can.

i've currently got about 4k in savings and plenty of time before my and OH ttc, but i've also got a loan which i intend to pay off later this year and i want to use an independant midwife when i'm pregnant, if at all possible, which is around £2.5k in my area... so i'm going to need a lot of savings if i want to have any left to buy baby stuff and make things a little easier financially when i'm on maternity leave.

at the moment, i'm just cutting down on everything i possibly can and trying to save every last penny...

Good question hun, and its interesting to get replies from and mums already and how much they spent (if they dont mind)
Well girles as you know me and OH are moving into the house we brough i hope beginning of July. So me and OH will have to get use to paying bills so will be putting mone away as and when. I have said to OH i do hope we can save a sum of money before hand 1500-2000 ish i think just so we have money to buy baby things!

Hi, Me & my Wife have around 2000.00, not sure if we would use all of it, probably set up a baby account.

hopefully around 1500 - 2000 ! want to get all the stuff i couldnt afford last time! x

hopefully around 1500 - 2000 ! want to get all the stuff i couldnt afford last time! x

I bet you have things from being pregnant first time round also. When you thinking of TTC hun?

Well I am currently trying to save £20k!!! for a house deposit and have £1050 :rofl:

Would like another £3000 after buying the house for when baby comes though, more if possible, I do worry about bills already!

This has actually been interesting reading. It seems £2000 is the magic number for most people.:thumbup:

We always said no less than £2k spare in the bank just to buy whatever we want without feeling like it was coming out of savings etc. I read this topic yesterday and it actually got me started looking at our finances and planning some more. And I was pleasantly surprised at the amount over and above the £2k that we should have saved by then :happydance:

I would like to have £1500 as that's the amount that everything I costed came to. I am not going to wait until I have this to start TTC but it's just what I'd like to save up before and during pregnancy - but anything is a bonus really!! xx

im not planning on saving up but i am planning on buying thigs gradually through the pregnancy like i did with the others, that way itsnot a big bulk buy. Like i buy one toiletry every week with the food shopping and things like that

I wont be saving anything... I have 1 child and I have hoards of things from her, as well as lots of hand me downs for either sex... So I wont really have to buy anything.

ooh- just did my finances: & if we put away £100 per month between now and ttc date + 9 months- we'd have the magic number: £2000! Thats if i was lucky enough for a bfp in the 1st month, obv would be more if it took longer!

I want to save enough for a buggy and il just get everything as i go along. Il be able to get handme downs for both sex's clothes and the moses basket il use the one i had when i was a baby.

Il also get £800 from my health insurance ones the babys born.

I don't think I have a set amount in mind, just enough so we don't go short. OH wants to get married and move out together first and I won't be able to wait much longer after that to start trying. I'm hoping our families would be very supportive and I'll just work harder :dohh: Plenty of hand-me-downs in my family so it's mostly the big things like cot, pushchair, changing equipment etc. I plan on breastfeeding so buying formula shouldn't be a problem.

2k definitely seems to be the magic number! i dont really want to save up loads as such i just want to have everything i need for the house and baby and no doubt we'll just work our socks off when ttc/pregnant and manage, guessing family will buy loads as i think this will more than likely be my parents first grandchild!
mind you i had a hell of a shock when my OH began working out how much a baby would cost, my feeble estimate was something like oh babys are little, few hundred and you're sorted...he enlightened me :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->