How much notice do you think is adequate for family coming to visit?

shellideaks

Mummy to 4
Reaction score
OH's mum came to visit today, she did mention on the phone yesterday that she was thinking of coming and that was fine.

What bothered me was that she text OH to say she was coming today and was leaving in 5 minutes. Cue me running round like a mad woman trying to clean etc.

I'm not sure if it's just me being over dramatic but it really annoyed me. I would of preferred if she'd of text this morning and let us know that she'd be coming over this afternoon.

I like a few hours notice at least. Like most people who have kids we are almost never 100% on top of everything that needs doing to keep a house running smoothly. We're all in our PJs right now for example. :lol:

It depends who it is if its my mum its a case of take us as you find us - if the house is a mess or we're in pj's its no biggy but if its MIL we like a bit of notice but she lives 2hrs away from us so we normally get it except the last time she visited she text us at 8am saying she was outside :dohh:

See this was my issue, I was in my PJ's as was DD, the kitchen was a state cos I was in the middle of defrosting the fridge, the dishes needed washed and the living room needed to be hoovered. OH was completely unbothered and told me to leave it all but I don't want his mum coming round when the house is a mess!

If someone turned up at my house at 8am, I'd ignore them :p

:lol: My dad turned up at ours at 10am last week and I ignored him :blush:

I like at least a couple of hours notice but my inlaws are awful for just turning up with no notice at all, or texting and saying they're on their way. They only live 3 miles away so if they are on their way, they are usually arriving by the time the text arrives! I hate it, I like notice for sure. My own parents always give plenty notice, usually they will say in the morning that they will pop in late in the afternoon.

Last weekend, I was really ill with a sickness bug, and the inlaws said they would take Sophie out on Monday morning. I said don't make it TOO early because I was feeling pretty crappy and really slow at getting ready. At first they said 10.30 but then they said 11, purely because I said I was feeling too ill to rush. They only went and turned up at 10.30 anyway and I was in the shower when they got here, and Sophie wasn't quite ready. GRRRRRR!

If its my parents I don't mind, lthough they'd always give me plenty of notice anyway. My inlaws will ring oh and within 15/20 mins be round which I don't really like as I like to organise myself etc and I hate the house being messy etc xx

Couldn't care less. If they don't like mess that my children create, or me in my dressing gown (which btw, is 90% of the time)they can feck off.

Couldn't care less. If they don't like mess that my children create, or me in my dressing gown (which btw, is 90% of the time)they can feck off.

100% this! I love having visitors but they take me as they find me - I don't put myself on parade for anyone lol! And I really don't care if they just turn up - I like surprise visitors :)

What about; how many times is it acceptable for family to come round or see you in a week? Xx

When I had only read the title, my initial response was at least two days notice plus a text when they set off :rofl: My family live about 2 hours away though so they are unlikely to spring it on me any later.

So yeah, I would definitely want a text in the morning.

x

We hate OHs family coming round, they're just so judgemental about mess! So much so that they've only been 3 times in a year :rofl: xx

It depends who it is with me.

My sister, father and cousin can come round when they like but I usually get a text telling to pop the kettle on or something similar.

The rest of my family will have made prior arrangements to visit.

If anyone else is coming round then I will get warning anyway as I now live in NE England and my in-laws live in Belfast, Lincolnshire or Plymouth.

When I lived in Belfast though, my TV was always on very quiet, blinds were closed and front door was double locked. Didn't want my MIL thinking she could simply turn up and come in when she felt like it. Same with my hubby's brothers and sisters (16, 15, 13, 9, and 8).

My mum or brother I don't mind because I lived with them so they know if the house isn't spotless then either clear yourself a seat or go home :rofl: but everyone else I like an hour or so warning

I do like a bit of notice because otherwise i get all anxious. I like to know what i'm doing each day but thats my issue.

I prefer 6 months notice :haha:

Usually there's a day or two notice unless it's a true emergency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->