how much to pump and dump

birdlee337

Reaction score
So I am having a hysterectomy on jan 27th. I will have to pump ans dump in the hospital for 24 hours after my surgery. I have a manual and electric pump...but honest I don't get much out at all with them. I can express in the morning when I wake up only on the right and get 3-4 oz out. So I am wondering how this will work in the hospital do I just get out whatever I can for 24 hours and it will be ok? This worries me...don't want to pass the anesthesia on to my daughter when I get home! Thanks!!!!!! :)

Please check with an expert about whether it's even necessary.
https://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=62&Itemid=33
Many times the anesthetists and doctors don't have a clue and will tell you this to cover their butts without the extra work to look it up. If it's just a concern due to GA, it would be a very rare anesthesia (you'd have to be allergic to several things) that you'd need to pump and dump for. The vast majority of the time, you're okay to nurse once you're alert and holding conversation. I'd find out exactly what they plan to use and contact the expert.

https://www.nbci.ca/index.php?optio...and-medications&catid=5:information&Itemid=17
"Drugs for local or regional anaesthesia are not absorbed from the baby’s stomach and are safe. Drugs for general anaesthesia will get into the milk in only tiny amounts (like all drugs) and are extremely unlikely to cause any effects on your baby. They usually have very short half lives and are eliminated extremely rapidly from your body. You can breastfeed as soon as you are awake and up to it. "

I had a d&c in July and had general anesthesia and was able to bf as soon as I woke up. I agree with MommyJogger, I would check with your surgeon. My gp told me that I couldn't nurse for 24 hours but my ob said it was perfectly safe. Good luck.

Wouldn't it work in the same way as alcohol? In that you don't actually have to pump and dump in order to rid your milk of the alcohol, you just have to wait until your it leaves your blood stream and therefore your milk. The only reason you should pump and dump when you drink is to keep up your supply, not to get rid of the alcohol-laden milk as it doesn't work that way. I assume it's the same with anaesthesia.

Thanks all. The more I read about it the more I think I don't have to pump and dump! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->