How on earth do people eat 2,500 calories per day?

I am curious as to how many of you have actually counted calories throughout your pregnancy?

I certainly haven't. I do try to make healthy choices and eat just until I am full, but I am not counting at all.

I count my calories daily lol
Maintaing a healthy reasonable weight in pregnancy is very important to me. I really don't want to be one of those women that have to work hard at getting bouncing back from prepregnancy. My doctor is quite proud of me :haha:

I don't know about calories counting but i don't think i have been eating particularly more. Apparently you are only supposed to eat 200 or 300 calories extra which is not very much. I just eat when i am hungry without being unreasonable ( i am not hitting on the ice cream or chocolate asa i am hungry, lol) and it has been working well for me, i am 33 week and have put on 19lbs which is normal.

Thanks for making me hungry haha. You can't say whopper around a pregnant woman :D Must. Fight. Temptation...

Maintaing a healthy reasonable weight in pregnancy is very important to me. I really don't want to be one of those women that have to work hard at getting bouncing back from prepregnancy. My doctor is quite proud of me :haha:

It is important to me too, but I just make the best choices I can, but I don't stress out about it. I have gained 8 lbs thus far, and I have been on total bed rest for the last 3 weeks.

Honestly, at least for me, I don't think it is the calories that matters as much as the type of food that is eaten. I try to eat primarily whole foods - for example I eat organic full-fat yogurt, that is just made with milk,fruit and cane sugar instead of the low-fat stuff that has all sorts of crazy additives to make it taste better.

I eat whole fat sour-cream and cheese for the same reason. I try to avoid as much processed food as possible. I just feel like if I am eating healthy food, then counting calories isn't really necessary?

It is important to me too, but I just make the best choices I can, but I don't stress out about it. I have gained 8 lbs thus far, and I have been on total bed rest for the last 3 weeks.

Honestly, at least for me, I don't think it is the calories that matters as much as the type of food that is eaten. I try to eat primarily whole foods - for example I eat organic full-fat yogurt, that is just made with milk,fruit and cane sugar instead of the low-fat stuff that has all sorts of crazy additives to make it taste better.

I eat whole fat sour-cream and cheese for the same reason. I try to avoid as much processed food as possible. I just feel like if I am eating healthy food, then counting calories isn't really necessary?

I wouldnt think it would be necessary if you ate healthy. I tend to let the cravings get the best of me and eat sonics chili cheese fries atleast 3 times a week since week 16 ha ha Its just one of those cravings that won't die! But I eat lots of fruit and veggies everyday also. I havent been able to workout quite as much from sore hips and backaches that recently took place, so calories are really important now.

Ladies i have got to be the worst pregnant eater EVER! i dont eat alot. Before pregnancy i didnt really eat breakfast, lunch was snacking and dinner was whatever often eaten around 7 or 8. During pregnancy im pretty much the same...i tend to snack all day a little bit here and there. Example today i had some nuts....a few bites of ice cream...i just ate a cheese quesadilla with no dip...just cheese and pita. I dont know really how else to eat so im really struggling during this.

Although i have only gained 4 lb and those were gained just in the last week and a half over christmas!

Ahh, the cravings. I understand. My pregnancy has actually been really weird, and I crave sweet stuff A LOT less than I did before. I eat them occasionally, but not often. Though, I will say being on bed rest has made me eat a lot more, probably out of boredom :blush:.

I started really focusing on whole foods during the pregnancy, and have avoided at all costs ANY artificial sweetener. I used to drink coke zero with reckless abandon, but I don't drink them now. I do have a regular coke on occasion, but not 3+ a day like I used to with the Coke Zero.

I really think that cutting out the artificial crap IS what has changed my cravings, plus the high fructose found in most processed food. I still eat sugar, but it is usually in a more natural/raw form - I use honey or molasses often. I think it has made a big difference.

The sugar cravings are horrible! I hated sweets (cookies, icecream, cakes, pies eveything) before pregnancy, and now I can't get enough! So glad that I have not bloomed out duringthis pregnancy over my chili cheese fry and sweet addiction.

I think most of my calories come from donuts and chocolate, lol. Maybe thats why my butts getting huge. I've tried to eat more food today, and it just sucks. It takes all the fun out of eating when its like force feeding myself. Pre-pregnancy I would only eat one meal per day and just a few snacks. I loved being 5'9 and 118 lbs. It's a steuggle for me to watch myself gain weight. I'm 32 weeks on Sunday and I've gained about 24lbs.

I would love to not be able to eat that much, lol but the medication i am on is a bad one for weight gain as it slows your metabolism down and increases your appetite because it dries your mouth out and enhances your cravings and without it I would not eat much at all :(
lol I probably consume around 3-4000 calories a day but before getting pregnant it was under 2000 :(:(:(

2,500 is so generalized! Pre-pregnancy, my daily caloric intake was roughly 1,200-1,500 calories. I was also maintaining a healthy BMI of 21 for...well, forever it seems! I never saw myself as eating too much or too little...I was eating until I was full and maintaining a healthy body weight, which is the key factor!
The only thing I've changed since being in the second trimester about my routine daily calorie intake is an added protein shake (330 calories) in the morning!

My ex (not FOB) was estimated to eat at least 4k calories a day. He's morbidly obese. He wouldn't eat all day and would have a full frozen pizza, two or more Magnum bars and a bunch of soda throughout the day.

I only spent a few nights there ever and he'd rarely eat at all - it wasn't until I realized he was gorging himself after I left that I felt ill.

Thank goodness! I was feeling horrible that I wasn't eating enough. I'm 16 weeks and still losing a little bit of weight, so I might have to make an effort to eat a little more, though. My metabolism is just too fast and I burn through a heavy meal so quick... Yeah, yeah I know, cry me a river...

I have no idea how people can consume that many calories without eating a lot of junk. I still eat whatever I want but I eat small portions that do not add up to a large calorie consumption. I can be quite happy eating a tiny piece of brownie for a dessert. People look at me and think I must be a freak but for a lot of things I am happy with just a taste. If I go out to eat at least half the meal I take home because it way too much food. People think I must be starving myself or something but I am really healthy and my baby is already at 2lbs.

When pregnant you're not advIsed to increase calorie intake until the third tri, and even then it's just 300 extra calories per day, which is a couple slices of toast for example. Pregnant women in most cases do not need to up their calorie intake throughout their pregnancy unless specifically advised to do so. So this 2500 calories a day is somewhat misleading also as the additional calories should be based on your normal diet ...again unless advised other by a healthcare professional

yeah yeah yeah and that is great in theory but what happens when you get insane cravings and constantly crave salty fries, cheese, pizza and burgers and nothing gets rid of the headaches and dizziness but eating these foods? Its easy to say no if you are not throwing up every day or feeling terribly nauseas without easing these cravings.

I agree with the other women who find it hard to stick to 2500 calories, I used to calorie count and tried all types of diets and know how many calories is a nectarine or an apple but am trying not to think about calories and fat content while pregnant or it will flare up my bulimia again

Thank goodness! I was feeling horrible that I wasn't eating enough. I'm 16 weeks and still losing a little bit of weight, so I might have to make an effort to eat a little more, though. My metabolism is just too fast and I burn through a heavy meal so quick... Yeah, yeah I know, cry me a river...

The NHS guide I was given said approx 300 extra calories in the third trimester only, there was no reason to eat any extra in first or second trimester.

300 extra is just two slices of toast with butter!

However my weight was not monitored as MW said it isnt an accurate indicator of foetal health and I defintely lost weight (didn't try to) - LO was healthy, small but healthy.

Most people vastly underestimate the amount of calories that they consume, usually because the serving sizes on the label of food are very unrealistic and people tend to have bigger servings. If you are not losing weight then you are eating enough calories - it's simple laws of physics. If you are gaining steadily then you are eating enough for you and your baby.
I don't think worrying about numbers of calories is necessary or useful. Most people do not count them accurately and also your activity level is important in that calculation too. I'd say just eat what you want within reason and concentrate on getting a nutritious diet.
However, 2500 calories really isn't all that much. Apparently the average sized man who is reasonably active would stay the same weight with that many calories.

I don't think 2500 is so many calories either! We all are so different in our metabolisms and absorption. Pre-pregnancy, I ate about 1900 calories a day (I went through a phase where I measured and weighed everything, just to find out.) and yet, I managed to maintain a BMI of 19. I am only 5'4 and have a moderate activity level, so according to most dieticians, I should have only needed about 1650 a day. At my caloric intake I should have been slowly but steadily gaining weight, according to them. Yet, I never had an issue!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->