How painful is a csection?

whatwillbex

Reaction score
Hi
I've got a meeting with the consultant to discuss a possible csection. I was just wondering how painful is it even with pain relief in recovery?
Is it more pain or discomfort or more frustrating being limited mobility. I know it's like asking how long is a piece of string as everyone's different but just trying to get an idea from women who have lived it.

I have a low pain thresh hold, so either way I go will not be a jolly :/
Thanks

The most painful part for me was standing up for the first time afterward. The pain was bearable though, and I managed with just Ibuprofen. I was able to go shopping right after being discharged (slowly, and not recommended).

In my opinion, it's harder and a more painful recovery than having a vaginal delivery, and if I had two choose between the two, I would not opt for a c-section.

The actual operation itself was fine, I found getting the spinal in to be uncomfortable, but then you may have that with a vaginal birth. To me it was a dull pain, rather than the sharp pain I was expecting. I think it was more the thought of having a needle in my back!

During the procedure it felt strange but not at all painful. It felt a bit like the baby was moving around LOTS.

Afterwards I was numb for a while but I do remember being in a fair amount of pain, I can't take co-codamol so I was only using paracetamol which took the edge off it but I was still sore. I could walk, but it was uncomfortable. Carrying heavy items and bending were the worst for me, and transitioning between sitting and standing. On day 3 I was okay to go out a walk with the pram, albeit quite slowly. On day 6 I went shopping (as in, round a shopping centre) and out for lunch. I even had a glass of wine!

Anything that involves using my abs hurt for maybe 2 weeks afterwards. After maybe 3 weeks I felt pretty normal but still had pain if I overdid it for maybe a month.

I'm fortunate in that my scar is barely visible, I have no numbness and all in all I had a good recovery, but I would still say it was painful (my mum and dad got a fright when they saw me in hospital as apparently I looked horrific, lol!)

I had a c-section last October. I think the most uncomfortable/painful was getting the spinal, that had me in tears:wacko: After that you don't feel any pain during the procedure at all! You just feel them prodding around which is a really odd sensation. After that you'll probably be getting pain meds so you shouldn't feel much pain afterwards either, just sore. The worst is the first few days when you're getting out of bed and trying to e.g. get in a sitting position but I wouldn't say I was in any bad pain, it was bearable.

I had a c-section planned but my water went early so ended up with an urgent one. The worst part was the spinal which I had after my vaginal delivery as well so it wasn't down to it being put it quick, it's just not a nice thing. My son was born at ten past midnight Monday night/Tuesday mornnng and I was home Wednesday morning after it bathing my 3 year old. Getting up is tender and you have to be careful not to stand up quick or fully until you heal but i didn't find it anywhere near as bad as people had explained it. I took paracetamol for 2 days and no longer needed it. Your first poo is an experience but that is the same with either delivery method. The best advice I got was get moving asap and it proved right. The longer you sit down the harder it is to get moving again. It is a major op, physically you are changed and it isnt a method to take if you don't need it though. Even after a horrific vaginal delivery, I'd still choose it over a section x

I didn't think it was that bad but I also have a high pain tolerance and have been through a total hip replacement. The spinal is uncomfortable but then it's in and you're numb. Recovery isn't bad, just make sure you make yourself get up when they tell you. Recovery is much better in the long run if you get up and moving once cleared to do so!

well it is surgery and its all about the circumstances + dr.

My 2nd was worse than my 1st but my 1st wasnt a walk in the park either. 1st i felt them stitching me. 2nd they pulled the staples out and it hurt pretty darn bad.

I would not have a c-section again....thus my VBA2C.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. Thats really helped. X

I had my second section 2 weeks ago today. It's definitely been harder this time around but I think that's probably due to the fact that there was a lot more scar tissue etc. for them to get through.

As others have said, the worst part is getting up for the first time. In terms of pain/discomfort; I found the worst thing to be the trapped wind from having your stomach open - I've found this to be the case on both occasions. This time, I was prepared with plenty of peppermint tea and oil of peppermint capsules, which helped massively.

First time around, I was in hospital for 2 days and this time, I was discharged the following day. Whilst it isn't pleasant, I've recovered well on both occasions and it's definitely not the most pain I've ever been in. Providing you keep on top of pain by taking painkillers regularly, after a few days, it's uncomfortable more than anything else.

My first seemed like a breeze to my second , my second I had terrible complications and they stitched a nerve funny that was being pulled and it was so excruciating, NO amount of pain reliever could solve it because it was a nerve being pulled, they even tried 5 injections into my abdomen of numbing medication to try to relieve it which didn't help at all. Plus my staples started coming out and my incision started opening
. Recovery was hell and I never want to go through it again which is why come hell or high water I'm attempting a vba2c this time!
It's hit or miss on whether you will have a good recovery or a bad one! Just hope for the best but prepare for the worst! ALSO, I couldn't have made it either time without my belly binder afterwards , both times they gave it to me right after the c-section and it did help tremendously so definitely look into one of those!

I had my emergency c-section last Thursday. It's not horrible, but I have quite a high pain tolerance. I am just taken ibuprofen since I left the hospital, never even filled the narcotic prescription. It is hard to get up from a sitting/lying position, I feel like I am tugging on stitches at times. I also have a 2 story house, so stairs are really difficult and I try to not go up and down often, even though my bathroom is upstairs & I am usually downstairs. Definitely get up and walking, try to get that gas out of your belly. I take stool softeners to help in that department, which would be difficult no matter how you had your baby. I still think the worst part of the whole thing was the epidural, took the doctor 3 times to get it in because of my spine (he kept thinking I had scoliosis). Once it was in, I was fine, but oh boy, that flipping hurt!

I wasn't in any pain really after my section, or maybe I was a little out of it. I remember being given fentanyl but I hated it so much I refused it afterwards. I was given Percocet and maybe Motrin (for inflammation) but didn't like the Percocet so I started refusing that as well. That was a mistake as I got into a lot of pain so I only took half doses every 6-8 hours instead of the full dose every 4. i never cried from the pain, it was only ever at a moaning level. The first time I was taken to see my baby (NICU) I was in a wheelchair. I walked after that. The hardest thing for me was getting out of bed. USE YOUR ARMS!!! Roll onto your side and pull yourself up or lower yourself down with your arms. The drive home was intense. I never realized how much you use your stomach to stabilize yourself in the car. Whoever is driving you, have then keep a significant distance between the cars ahead because sudden braking sucks. Take corners slow. I was sitting in the back with our baby and got quite mad at my husband for not warning me about a bump so I could brace myself. I hope I didn't make it sound too awful. Honestly what bothered me most was the swelling. I was pumped so full of IV fluids (on top of pregnancy swelling) and the swelling was soooo bad that I complained about it more than the pain from the section. I would never elect to have a section but now that I've had one they don't scare me anymore.

I had a c section a week ago as an emergency after 12 hours of labour and a failed forceps delivery. I'm still in excruciating pain. I've been back to the doctor for stronger pain killers as the pain hasn't seemed to get better at all. Every now and then I get a sensation like being stabbed with hot knives. I'm looking for a light at the end of the tunnel. I'm finding things very difficult trying to look after the baby while in all this pain. Most people seem to say the worst of the pain goes after 2 to 3 weeks, so I am hoping that will be the same with me as the pain is quite often unbearable. Maybe my age (44) doesn't help. Having had 4 previous vaginal births, I can honestly say this one was the worst experience of childbirth that l have had

I just had one 11 days ago and honestly it wasn't that bad. I was more freaked out by all the needles, but I have a needle phobia. I also was more phased by the nausea but I don't handle anesthesia well...I was sick for a few hours afterward. I was pretty well managed from pain with ibuprofen and Percocet. They also gave me a heating pad which was the most helpful thing for my back and the cramping. I would say by the time I left the hospital I was feeling pretty good. I am doing really well nearly two weeks on, doing my normal routine with no pain meds.

Mine was scheduled and very low key. Was in and out in 40 minutes. I would do it again the same way, no regrets. I trusted my doctor and his reasoning for my csection (I have a bladder condition that he was concerned would be made much worse by a vaginal birth). I really didn't want to labor and then end with a csection, from all the stories I've heard that seems to be harder than a planned csection.

I had my son 5 years ago via csection and I'm getting a planned one with this pregnancy. Please consider the difference between a PLANNED and unplanned section. Everyone I know who had an unplanned section went through hell. With the planned, it could go either way.
My section was fine - I got the spinal block which went fine. 15 mins and my son was out. I got stitches not staples. I delivered Monday afternoon and was discharged Thursday afternoon. They made me get up to walk the next morning - that was the hardest part for me as it felt like my insides would spill out lol. Hold a pillow against your belly when walking the first time - it helps.
I took Percocet and I stayed ON TOP of it so that really helped my pain. My son was a master nurser so the meds didnt affect him much.
My mum stayed with me 6 weeks and that was a SUPER help - dont know how rough it wouldve been without her. I started feeling like my old self around 4 weeks.

Csection experiences are very varied - mine wasnt a big deal at all.

Snowbelle - hang in there, it does get better. However​, if you're still in that much pain, go ahead and be the squeaky wheel at your doc. My csection, I was in some discomfort but a Percocet/Tylenol rotation kept me feeling somewhat ok. It was more sore than shooting pain.

My C-section wasn't that's bad. Honestly, the biggest factor that made the first two months pretty bad (yes), was that my baby had latching issues and even with a nipple shield he napped an hour at best before waking to feed. The pain was barely on my radar compared to the sleep deprivation. I still have some of the prescription painkiller left over because I didn't need it all.

Msbene - True, there is a difference between emergency and scheduled sections. Also, having help makes a world of a difference!

Stay on top of your meds, get up and move but don't overdo it, and ask for help whenever possible! Seriously, with my next (VBAC is highly discouraged in my neck of the woods), I'm gonna tell people to not visit me in the hospital, but instead come to my house so that can help, hold the baby and let me nap!

I've had an emergency, and two planned c-sections. All have been fine, nowhere near as painful as I imagined. Yes you are sore for a few days, but it fades really quickly. My emergency wasn't any more painful than the planned ones.

I didn't find recovery painful at all but they kept pumping me up on drugs even though I told them I didn't want them. Sent me home with a ton of Tramadol too which sat in the medicine cupboard for months on end unopened before I threw the damn things out. I think the most painful part of recovery after my emergency section was moving my bowels, sneezing and coughing. I felt like I was turning inside out.

Recovery in general was pretty cruisy and felt very little (if any) pain. But I have a high thresh hold for pain too so I don't think I'm any good in regards to advice for you. :nope:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->