• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How painful is the medical management (tablets)?

caz_hills

Reaction score
Hi ladies,
After our news yesterday, I want to get my head around options. There are some horrifically scary stories about medical management. Has anyone experienced it and willing to share what it was like? I miscarried last year and had the surgery but although it was fine, I didn't like being put to sleep and want to consider doing it at home.
Thanks x

My experience was really positive both times. 18 weeks with first, 15 weeks with second.
I had the pessaries and oral tablets.
First time took around 6 hours, second time 8.5
The pains were like contractions but manageable- I just had painkillers. I guess as baby etc is smaller you don't need to dilate as much therefore it's not as painful as full blown labour.
The downside is both times my placenta got stuck- but did come away the same day eventually without the need of surgery. Hth

Thank you so much, it's reassuring to know.

My experience was really positive both times. 18 weeks with first, 15 weeks with second.
I had the pessaries and oral tablets.
First time took around 6 hours, second time 8.5
The pains were like contractions but manageable- I just had painkillers. I guess as baby etc is smaller you don't need to dilate as much therefore it's not as painful as full blown labour.
The downside is both times my placenta got stuck- but did come away the same day eventually without the need of surgery. Hth

Hi Caz so sorry ur going through this hun x

Not sure whether my experiences will be any use to you but I hope they might help hun. I have had three missed mc with the third one ending yesterday. I have had two natural ones one in 2008 and the second one ending yesterday. My natural mcs have been pretty tough where my body has worked really hard to successfully get the contents of the womb out - very strong contractions, loads of big blood clots and awful pain (manageable with pain killers though). Once they get started my body keeps going until everything is out - yesterday's one lasted 18 hours total. In contrast I had mmc last year and after 3 weeks of waiting for it to happen I opted for the vaginal pessaries and I expected the same as my natural mcs but actually it was so much more gentle. I took the tablets Friday evening and bleeding started about 3 hours later with some pain (nothing like the natural contractions) I bled steadily then from Friday for about a week and I went back to work the following Thursday and passed the sac that evening walking to the hairdressers. Having been through both I think if I had the choice which way to do it I would go for the pessaries rather than natural as my natural ones seem to be scarily intense!! At points Weds night I was definitely getting thru a pad in about 30mins which is probably too much bleeding.

Well hope this helps. Keep in mind hun that we are all different - do ur research and go with ur gut instinct. Sending u big hugs and thinking of u xx

I'm so grateful for your experience so thank you.

I have to wait until Tuesday and then my preference is the tablets. But we do want to have testing to understand what has caused it but I assume we need to have the surgery for that so they can have the tissue to test. I really really don't want another procedure in the hospital (last time they were wonderful and it went smoothly) but id prefer todo it at home and feel more natural x

I'm so grateful for your experience so thank you.

I have to wait until Tuesday and then my preference is the tablets. But we do want to have testing to understand what has caused it but I assume we need to have the surgery for that so they can have the tissue to test. I really really don't want another procedure in the hospital (last time they were wonderful and it went smoothly) but id prefer todo it at home and feel more natural x

I had to stay in hospital- because of how far I was- however every time I went to the loo they put a bowl in it to catch anything that came out. Could you ask for a few to take home?

That's a good idea thank you. If we can get testing then brilliant but I just hated the being asleep part, just got scared I'd never wake up again :( irrational I know x

No I totally understand that feeling. With my first mc at 18 weeks my placenta got stuck. They put me on a drip but it souldnt come away- they came to take me to theatre and I was petrified- when I had to sign the firms I told the anaesthetist I was signing my life away. At the time it's how I felt- luckily the placenta came away just as I was about to go down. It's a very frightening thought to be put under xx

Gosh Loraloo that sounds so hard for you. Thanks for all your advice and support you are so kind x

I had a mmc at 9 weeks in march and opted for the pills.

I k ow everyone's experience is different but for me it was a wonder drug. I had a natural mc in 2013 and the bleeding was very heavy, it went on for two days and I was very scared. This time I had the pills at around 9 and it was all over by 11.30. I had to stay in the hospital the whole time and I had to have a second lot of pills just in case but it wasn't very painful at all. I'd say similar to period pains, I didn't need any pain killers or anything and by the time I went home the bleeding was like a regular period.

I was very nervous before hand but truly it was nothing like I am ignited and nothing to worry about at all.

Thanks so much, it is definately my preference, but will have to see (i) if the scan is negative (although they expect it to be) and (ii) whether I can get any testing done x

I had a mmc at 9 weeks in march and opted for the pills.

I k ow everyone's experience is different but for me it was a wonder drug. I had a natural mc in 2013 and the bleeding was very heavy, it went on for two days and I was very scared. This time I had the pills at around 9 and it was all over by 11.30. I had to stay in the hospital the whole time and I had to have a second lot of pills just in case but it wasn't very painful at all. I'd say similar to period pains, I didn't need any pain killers or anything and by the time I went home the bleeding was like a regular period.

I was very nervous before hand but truly it was nothing like I am ignited and nothing to worry about at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlzsmuzaffar
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->