How soon after birth did you BF

sandilion

Reaction score
OK so yes i already have a DS, but he was born 8 weeks prem due to a placenta abruption, so that meant once he was born i got to have a very quick cuddle of him then they carted him off to the NICU.

He didn't get to BF him until it was 3 weeks later - he was too small. I just had to pump for the first 3 weeks.

So if i hopefully carry #2 to full term.... once she is born and they give her to me do i try to latch her straight away? How soon should i try to get her first feed in to establish BF her?

I am so excited to be BF again i really can't wait, and starting to worry about the possibility of it not working out (not sure why... my hormones probably making me anxious)

Could people share their experience with starting to BF after giving birth to a full term baby?

:flower:

I started pretty much right away. After cuddles and kisses of course!

I fed both mine within minutes of being born. Olivia had a quick feed in the delivery room and then went to sleep but little Wesley was born routing, he fed non-stop from the minute he was born (about 8:30pm) till about 2am. The nurse had to bring me a co-sleeping cot for my hospital bed in the end! :)

Both my babies were emergency sections so we got skin-to-skin half and hour to an hour after birth. Both DD and DS immediately started crawling to the breast so I fed right away. The midwife helped me get started with my first baby.

Ideally baby will be put on your chest straight after birth and you can let baby smell and route out for your nipple, see if there are videos on youtube of a baby naturally latching on to mum it's an incredible thing to watch.

My babies were fed within an hour of giving birth, I found third stage quite painful and ended up getting my self washed up before feeding DS2 as I had a bit of a sporadic bloody birth on our dining room floor lol so wanted to be clean before feeding on the sofa, I feel bad about that now though!!

My babies were fed within an hour of giving birth, I found third stage quite painful and ended up getting my self washed up before feeding DS2 as I had a bit of a sporadic bloody birth on our dining room floor lol so wanted to be clean before feeding on the sofa, I feel bad about that now though!!

I really do not think you should be feeling bad about that hun!! Sounds like it was quite an ordeal! Im sure your DS understands! :)

Thanks all I am feeling a bit more confident about it. And good idea about looking it up on youtube. I feel like a amateur even though I already have a DS!

When I had DS1 (vaginally) I felt so nauseous after giving birth I couldn't have him on me so I don't think I breastfed him properly for a few hours as he was fast asleep on DH! He had a tiny bit about 10 minutes after he came out but I nearly threw up on him and just wanted him off me :/

DS2 was born via scheduled section and I got skin to skin while they stitched me up and breastfed him within an hour and basically stayed skin to skin with him for the next 3 days! :) Felt much better about the whole experience with DS2.

DD1 wouldn't latch on until 72hrs old. But first tried in recovery post c-section.
DS was to the breast within an hour. He went for a skin to skin cuddle with Daddy first as I had forceps and needed stitching.
DD2 was skin to skin in theatre (another c-section) but I didn't nurse her until recovery.

Straight away! As soon as she was born she was passed onto my chest and latched straight away. I count myself lucky that it was so easy, she knew what she was doing even if I didn't!

Stalking for info, Im worried about this also and have no clue what Im supposed to do...

I was stitched before breastfeeding my little boy so it was about an hour after he was born. He was on my chest though. He was latched on for about an hour and fed great!

DS didn't show lots of interest for quite some time. I got him to eat just a little 3 hours after birth. Turns out he had a tummy full of amniotic fluid! After they got that out, he ate really well.

I fed both mine within minutes of being born. Olivia had a quick feed in the delivery room and then went to sleep but little Wesley was born routing, he fed non-stop from the minute he was born (about 8:30pm) till about 2am. The nurse had to bring me a co-sleeping cot for my hospital bed in the end! :)

Similar experience here! My ds fed about half an hour or so after being born but wasn't for that long. My dd fed continuously for 4 hours pretty much straight after birth and then slept for about 4 hours! She pretty much fed all night long for the first 3 nights but I didn't mind, in fact I cherished those nights and just had her in my bed. I hope you get to feed this one straight away xx

I had a quick cuddle then lo was with daddy and then in crib sleeping while I was stitched. The midwives didn't encourage me and just said when I was ready to let them know. It must have been about 4-5 hours before I tried. Next time I want skin to skin and to do it straight away

My memory is a little fuzzy sadly due to all the medication I was on that day. I had a long failed induction then a c-section, but if I remember right… they had me hold him as I left the surgery room (all wrapped up) and then I think I first fed him in the recovery room. Honestly there were lots of relatives pushing their way into my room against my wishes in the middle of the night… that's another story. I think after they transferred us to the normal room I fed him again? So possibly twice within a few hours maybe? We had some latching struggles for a few days, but nothing serious.

My memory is fuzzy too as I was under a lot of medication but my husband told me it was about 20 minutes after birth because she was taken to a machine as she was struggling to breathe.

Both within an hour of birth. Dd1 was a bit tricky as she was my first and no one was really helping my so i'm not convinced she successfully fed until several hours later, but dd2 latched probably within about half an hour and fed for well over an hour!

My son was born, passed up for skin to skin for at least 30mins, taking for apgar ect while I was stitched and as soon as he was back the instinct to feed was strong...my midwife saw me try and helped me get him to latch on and he fed until I was taken to my room......

Instinct will take over, try not to worry.....:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->