How the heck do you start the midwife process?

CharlotteLove

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My name is CharlotteLove - I'm nearly 7 weeks pregnant. Yay! A natural birth is very important to me. It doesn't have to be at home or even in a birthing center, but I do want the 'midwife' experience and minimal intervention. Trouble is that I have no idea how to go about finding a midwife. Also - I've been going to my OBGYN for ultrasounds, etc. Do I 'break up' with her? Do I continue to see her AND the midwife? How do I tell her I don't want her to deliver?

I am not sure how it works where you are but I looked at what midwives were available in my area and i found this through the internet and through the midwifery registration page. I looked at all there websites and went to the one that I liked the best on the internet, based on testimonials and one that was easy to get too. I was lucky they were amazing and I used them with both kids.

My midwifes still sent me for USS, so I don't see why you would need to still use your OBGYN. I don't know if they will let you use a midwife, some will some wont, you will need to speak to your doctor.

In my experience midwifery care is just as good as having a doctor and even better, you have longer appointments, you really get to know them and them knowing you. They will do everything in their power to respect your wishes.

Good Luck!

it does depend on where in the world you are, as different countries, and even states, are different!

Over here in NZ it's pretty much normal to have a midwife and I don't know *anyone* who has used an obgyn... There are dozens of registered midwives in my wee city alone, I called a friends recommendation first, who then referred me to a few other names cos she was unable to take me, one of which I've stuck with. If I didn't have a recommendation to go with then I could have gone into the maternity hospital and they have a list of every registered midwife in our city that I could call up and interview as I pleased.

I think that, over here anyway, you can keep your obgyn if you want to as well, and they can work with your midwife together with you, but I think that if you don't NEED an obgyn (ie it's not a high-risk pregnancy that needs specific medical overseeing) then I'd drop her and stick with just the midwife! In that case, once I've found a midwife I'd simply tell my obgyn that I have found a lovely midwife to take over the rest of my pregnancy and birth and leave it at that; without making another appointment with my obgyn! I imagine she will still stay as your obgyn if you want or need to go back to her (ie your medical files will stay with her and her practise unless you request they're destroyed or whatever) sorta in the same way you may have a doctor you don't see for years but they're still your doctor!

Good luck!

You would change to the MW. I had to go to an OB office to get a prescription for prenatal vitamins. They ordered my blood tests and an early U/S. I then switched to the MW. The MW could have done the tests, but since I was there I just did them and had them transferred. The MW does not do as many U/S. They do one at 20 weeks. I requested the 12 week U/S and they did schedule it for me, but said it was not customary for them to do. If you go to a CNM they can write prescriptions for you; a LMW cannot write any prescriptions, so you may have to see an OB or GP if you need one. (I had to go to the GP to get antibiotics for bronchitis.) Some OBGYN offices have MWs that work with them; the one I go to has their own practice.

I live near Portland, OR, USA - and a lot of midwives work at the hospitals and medical centers around here.. you can just google your city + midwife, haha.

It depends where you live. If you let us know we can give you more area specific information that pertains to you. :thumbup:

hi! and congratulations!!

when I decided I wanted to find a midwife I just googled midwives in Belgium and went from there...called around a bit... am sure you can do the same where you are hun.. good luck!! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->