How to Break The News?

CowtownGirl

Mom and ttc #2
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been done before but the 'what are you looking forward to' thread got me thinking...

I have no idea how I'll tell DH if he's not there when I test and hopefully get the BFB one day - what are other people planning on doing or have done?

As for my parents, well, we are ttc over here starting in Sept and will be moving back to Canada in Dec (hopefully) and if we were lucky enough to have got a sticky bean by the time we go my plan would be to get a little 'I love grandpa and grandma' type babygro or christmas ornament or something to give them as a gift when we arrive, and when they figure it out, have a shirt on under my coat that says 'Baby' with an arrow to my tummy or says 'mommy to be' or something. :winkwink:

If we're not pregnant before going then I'd probably want to do something similar for them anyway.

What are other people's plans for telling family/friends??

i dunno how id do it! cause im not getting my coil taken out (once its put in) Until he gives me permission to do so.

:) I think from then on itd be like.... id take a test when i have a missed period and let him see the results, but only id back it up with a cheapie first and then let him do the test reading.

i have no idea how i'd tell bob, he's the type who would'nt believe me, even if we were activley trying, and make me test in front of him (well not right in front of him, but with him outside the bathroom), so maybe i'll just leave all the tests out for him to see.

parents on the other hand, we'll probably tell them with a scan picture after 12 weeks, my parents probably won't be very excited until later on anyway, and i don't want to tell his parents until after we've heard the heart beat, his mom is desprate for her first grandchild and i'd hate to tell her, have her so excited and then have to give bad news

I've thought about this, I'd probably test twice and then say something stupid like "Guess what!??" and show OH the test.

I will want to wait until 12 weeks to tell my family, I will very likely be too scared something will go wrong and having to tell someone it went wrong is something I do not want to do. I just feel it's very private. I know the support would be awesome but still... I think I will probably also end up telling one friend very early on but I def want to wait with telling anyone else until I hit that end of the 1st tri.

Anywho, I'd probably do something like show his mum a pic of the scan and my mom I will probably just blurt it out.. chances are she's gonna figure it out very early on... haha

Well I dunno. Not by test message whilst he as at work I know that much! He is a scaffolder & works 300ft up in the air. Wouldnt want him to fall off in the shock.

I think I would do a test on my own 1st if I was late. If it was BFP I would then say oooh my AF is late... Maybe we should do a test? Then we would test together and Id act all surprised! Haha.

I would tell my mum straight away probably just send her a photo message of the test. That is the only person other than OH I would tell. I love her to bits she is my best friend and I didnt tell her last time (i went through my MC on my own) then finally had a mini break down months after & ended up balling my eyes out at her house and eventually told her and she was upset I hadnt told her. I wish I hadnt gone through it all on my own and if it was to happen again I would like my mums support. (Tearing up here thinking about it).

We wouldnt tell anyone else till after 12 week scan.

xxx

I'd probably test while my OH was there.. I'd like to go through the initial excitement with him :D
With my mum I'd probably buy a babygro with 'I <3 Grandma' on it or something like that :) and see if she cottons on haha

I'd probably test while my OH was there.. I'd like to go through the initial excitement with him :D
With my mum I'd probably buy a babygro with 'I <3 Grandma' on it or something like that :) and see if she cottons on haha

Aww thats cute.

I wouldnt want to get his hopes up then get an BFN.

xx

Yeah, I always think that DH would be with me when I test, but I know if I thought I might be and he wasn't home for whatever reason, I'd want to do it anyway. Maybe I'll use magpies idea and pretend I hadn't!! lol!!

I would actually love to tell my mom right away (even if it wasn't sticky, just to have her support and things) but also want to tell her in person. So if we got a BFP here, I'd wait her in person, if we got a BFP after moving, then I could tell her anytime. I definitely wouldn't want other people to know till 12 weeks (I have a MASSIVE extended family and wouldn't want to have to tell them all if anything went wrong).

xx

I've thought a lot about this :blush: I've seen a little T-shirt that says 'Ssh I've got a secret...' on the front, and 'I'm going to be a Big Brother' on the back :D Going to put this on Max, wait for OH to get in from work and see how long he takes to click! :D

With Parents, we'll wait until the first scan and announce somehow with the picture..It gets me all excited just thinking about it! :cloud9:

xxx

I've thought a lot about this :blush: I've seen a little T-shirt that says 'Ssh I've got a secret...' on the front, and 'I'm going to be a Big Brother' on the back :D Going to put this on Max, wait for OH to get in from work and see how long he takes to click! :D

With Parents, we'll wait until the first scan and announce somehow with the picture..It gets me all excited just thinking about it! :cloud9:

xxx

That's a really cute idea!! :thumbup:
I've been thinking about it, too since someone on here mentioned you can watch videos of people telling their OH's and parents, etc on youtube! I think it's my new way of passing the time while wtt!! :blush:

I don't think I could wait 3 months to tell family. I think I'd do a cheapie, and if it's BFP i'd get a clearblue one with the words and show OH. I'd probably show my mom the test but with OH's parents we'd prolly just get a bib with 'I love my grandad and grandma'. I'd wait to tell everyone else apart from very close friends so they don't ask why i'm not drinking etc.

It's a long way off though I think :wacko:

i remember having all these plans how i would tell everyone when i got my BFP instead i phoned ian up and work hysterically crying saying we are having a baby and i kind of told everyone else the same way hahaha next time i hope the i can do it differently

Lou
xxx

I plan on oh definitely being there when I test. Go through it all together :) with parents I have a similar idea to above- wait until 12 week scan then send a picture in the post with a congratulations card... Then inside, "congratulations, you're going to become grandparents" :)
I know they'll be a little apprehensive as I'm hoping to be 23 with my first and they'll see that as very young. So I think hopefullt if they see the scan picture they'll fall in love with their future grandchild and there won't be any negativity :p xxxx

I think I will do a test on my own in case it is BFN and if it is BFP show OH.

I don't think I will tell anyone else until I have my first scan photo. I might tell my mum though, I know she will be excited because her first and only grandchild (my nephew) lives in Barcelona, so she only gets to see him a couple of times a year.

DH and I have discussed this already and we will be doing what amyclaire said above with regards to telling the parents.

We'll be waiting for the 12-week scan and then sending them a copy in the post (we live 160 miles away from them) and putting something like ... "Dear Nanny/Grandad, looking forward to meeting you around dd/mm/yyyy. Love Baby D".

I may pre-warn my parents about a card coming and not to open it and then get them to open the card while I'm on the phone to them, as I'd love to hear their response, but I worry that they'd perhaps catch on if I did this and I'd want it to be a total surprise. Oh well - lots of time to think about it!

With DH I know I'll be testing on my own because he's not a morning person and I'm up an hour before him most days. He'll know if I'm late for AF anyway, as I would have told him and would also be telling him when I'll be testing etc. I guess I'll just go wake him up, as always, and perhaps leave the test next to his morning brew ... although knowing my luck he wouldn't notice it :dohh:

The first time I was pregnant, I bought a candy jar set of three jars. One jar said 'goodies for grandma'. Another said 'goodies for grandpa'. And another said 'goodies for the grandkids'. And I put the picture of the positive pregnancy test in one of the jars for my parents. It was their first grandchild. :D Unfortunately I lost that baby a few weeks later but the jars are still on their counter and I now have a beautiful daughter who will always have 'goodies' at her grandma and grandpa's house. :cloud9:

As for telling DH, I could never ever take a test without him. It's just one of those special moments that we share together. :shrug:

Thanks for all your responses ladies!! It's really nice to hear all the ways people have/will share the good news. It's something I love thinking about and distracts me for the time being! lol!!

xx

I plan on oh definitely being there when I test. Go through it all together :) with parents I have a similar idea to above- wait until 12 week scan then send a picture in the post with a congratulations card... Then inside, "congratulations, you're going to become grandparents" :)
I know they'll be a little apprehensive as I'm hoping to be 23 with my first and they'll see that as very young. So I think hopefullt if they see the scan picture they'll fall in love with their future grandchild and there won't be any negativity :p xxxx

I'm sure they'll fall in love with the scan and be thrilled - 23 is plenty old enough to be a loving, wonderful mom. I think it's hard for people not to get excited about babies!! (although, I have seen it happen - but not often!!) :flower:

I have thought about this LOTS! DH will no doubt be there when I test. But we'll wait until 12 weeks to tell our parents. For DH's parents I'm making a family tree as they are really into that kind of thing. And where baby would be it'll say "coming March 2011" or something like that. MIL will hopefully get this for her birthday. For my parents I'm preparing a photo album from a trip we went on recently. There's a picture of me kissing a statue, which is supposed to bring fertility. I'll explain this in a caption and then the next page will say something like "...and it worked" and have a scan picture. I can't wait to see their faces!!!

I have thought about this loads!!
OH will definetly be with me as I can't imagine testing without him there!
We will then wait till the 12week scan to tell anyonel else. Hopingto get grandma and grandad cards to put the scan piccy in saying 'can't wait to meet you on ???'
I will then have to tell work and we will start telling close friends!
I am giving up drinking when we start TTC so hopefully people wont notice to much!

I am just so excited thinking about it!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->