How to Break The News?

I've been thinking alot about this. For now the winners are....Taking my hubby out to a nice dinner and giving him a present, which will be a t shirt that says 'I love my pregnant wife' and tape the whole thing
The family, probably let me daughter have some fun and have her wear a t shirt that says 'Oops, they did it again, I'm gonna be a big sister.'

ooh there are some really sweet ideas here!:thumbup:

i think i would probably test with oh there as i don't think i could keep it from him even if i wanted to - he always knows when something's going on!:haha: To tell family i think we would prob tell our parents quite early as it would be difficult to keep it from them. i'm hoping it will be around one of their birthdays/father's day/mother's day/christmas or something and then we can send them a card to grandad/grandma from "the bump"!:thumbup::thumbup:

ooh i'm excited just thinking about it!:happydance:

Believe it or not this was a topic of conversation when I was out for lunch with my mum and a friend yest, Think I would test alone and then tell hubby ( although he would probably be like I whatever!! LOL) Mum says she would like to see the test stick.. and havent really thought about mil and fil, probably would go out to see them and break the news.

As for telling everyone else, I would defo have to tell work due to the job I do and would tell sister and both sets of parents and hubby brother, but apart from this would rather wait until 12week scan to tell everyone else.

Well I have no choice about telling my OH, he has always said he wants to be there when I test but as for telling our parents I'm kinda thinking that we would wait until the 12 week scan and put the copies in cute photo frames and wrap them up and give them to the grandparents to be at dinner or something, if dates work out then possibly as a christmas present.

I'm hoping we catch quickly so we can announce as a Xmas pressie too :cloud9:

xxx

I too have thought long and hard about this even though we are not starting until next year.

I love surprising my OH so I'm planning to create a photo book full of photos of the two of us throughout our relationship along with little messages and then on the last page I will have a photo of the BFP with something like "2+2=3". I will then give it to him over dinner.

For my parents in law and my parents - I think I may send them a 'Congratulations' card with a scan enclosed.

Not too sure how I envisioned telling our friends - although I saw this great idea on You Tube of a couple of got all their friends together for a photo but set the camera to video before breaking the news to everyone. The camera then captured their reaction.

Vanilla Spice

I just found these https://www.zazzle.co.uk/grandma+buttons There are ones for grandma, grandpa, nana, aunt, uncle, great grandma etc :) I think I will buy some and hand them out to my family :) Then once we have had the scan they can wear them and spread the news !!

I really like this one https://www.zazzle.co.uk/downloading_grandpa_to_be_button-145793129384249458

I'd always thought I'd announce it to my OH in a sweet/funny way but in reality it didn't happen anything like I'd imagined!
We weren't really trying and I'd started feeling sick-thought it was a bug. Then my sister jokingly mentioned that no-one else was ill and maybe I was pregnant.
The next day I went to a work course a 100 miles away from home, couldn't stop thinking about the fact I was 10 days late (which hadn't occurred to me before) and figured I was far enough away from work to buy a test. We live in a really small town and was worried about someone I knew seeing me :dohh:
Couldn't resist taking the test before I got home, fully expecting a negative result. When a :bfp: appeared I nearly fainted in shock. Had no battery on my phone to ring anyone and had to go the whole 3hr train journey home keeping it to myself. Walked in the door, showed OH the test and burst into tears! Never seen anyone go quite so pale as OH and it took at least a week to sink in!
Sorry for butting into the thread, it just made me realise how much I wish I had a better 'this is how I told your daddy' story for LO

I've thought about giving my mom/mil a congratulations card with a picture of the scan inside with the card saying "To Nannan, congratulations on your first grandchild" "Love from Me, Alex and Baby Sinclair x x".

I just found these https://www.zazzle.co.uk/grandma+buttons There are ones for grandma, grandpa, nana, aunt, uncle, great grandma etc :) I think I will buy some and hand them out to my family :) Then once we have had the scan they can wear them and spread the news !!

I really like this one https://www.zazzle.co.uk/downloading_grandpa_to_be_button-145793129384249458

OMG!! I love the 'downloading' button - so cute!!!! :thumbup:

I'd always thought I'd announce it to my OH in a sweet/funny way but in reality it didn't happen anything like I'd imagined!
We weren't really trying and I'd started feeling sick-thought it was a bug. Then my sister jokingly mentioned that no-one else was ill and maybe I was pregnant.
The next day I went to a work course a 100 miles away from home, couldn't stop thinking about the fact I was 10 days late (which hadn't occurred to me before) and figured I was far enough away from work to buy a test. We live in a really small town and was worried about someone I knew seeing me :dohh:
Couldn't resist taking the test before I got home, fully expecting a negative result. When a :bfp: appeared I nearly fainted in shock. Had no battery on my phone to ring anyone and had to go the whole 3hr train journey home keeping it to myself. Walked in the door, showed OH the test and burst into tears! Never seen anyone go quite so pale as OH and it took at least a week to sink in!
Sorry for butting into the thread, it just made me realise how much I wish I had a better 'this is how I told your daddy' story for LO

You're not butting in at all - I was hoping for some stories of how people had already told people, too. I know I'd love to tell DH in a cute way if he wasn't there when I tested but I think I too would probably just end up blurting it out!! lol!! Thanks for sharign!! :flower:

My first pregnancy..I bought DH a baby name book and gave it to him as a gift..it took him a minute to clue in..too cute!! He kept saying "Really, really...we really are having a baby!" Unfortunately that ended in m/c. Second pregnancy... I found out on DH's birthday so I put our pregnancy test in a box and gave it to him. It was awesome!! Next pregnancy I plan on getting a t-shirt for Rian saying "I'm going to be a big sister" and see how long it takes Elliott to see it!

I love all these ideas! I know I would like to surprise OH when the time comes but haven't completely decided how yet. There's no way I'll be able to keep this secret from my mom and sister, so they'll probably find out right away also.

I saw a really cute idea once that I think I'd like to do something similar. It was a photo of the couple at a baseball game and said something like:

Tickets to the ball park... $60
Hot dogs and nachos... $30
Souvenir shirts... $20
Realizing there are 3 of us in this picture... priceless!

I'm looking forward to just being able to call my parents and say I'm pregnant without stressing for months worrying they're going to throw me out and hate me :lol:

I think next time OH & I will find out the sex and either keep it a secret from everyone else as a surprise OR we'll have a party to reveal the sex.. like yellow decorations and then I'll come out with a blue/pink shirt, or I saw an idea for making cupcakes with blue or pink M&Ms in the middles!

I want to test with OH there, with everyone else i want to have my first scan picture and give it them in an envelope to see there faces :)

I remember when my mom was pregnant with my brother (I was 11 at the time). I was off school ill and had asked my dad to go buy some stuff from the pharmacy. When he came home he handed me the bag and in that bag was also a pregnancy test. Needless to say, I was extremely happy when I realised what it was:winkwink: At first I thought it was some sort of temperature testing thingie :blush: Funnily enough I was also ill off school the day my mom went into labour.

I would be really temped to send them a picture (We live far away) of a bun the oven. Might take some time to take the clue but I think it would be fun as we always joke about everything :blush:

Hmm good question. I'm afraid to tell my husband, one time I was joking with him and told him I was pregnant, the boy's face turned white haha. I'd probably take a test while he was at work then him come home to a romantic dinner =)
My parents and his...we'd probably go ahead and tell them, though I do dread if something goes wrong and then having to tell them...

just chiming in here--my SO told me long ago that when the time comes I should not take a test without him. guess we'll find out together :) then i'll call my sister :) likely everyone else will find out much later while we enjoy our little secret for a bit. i wonder how long i can really keep it from my family though--we are all so close. that will be the hardest. i'll probably tell my best friend too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->