how to control cravings?

minnie10

Mummy to 1 , wtt#2
Reaction score
i get really bad junk food cravings especially when im just home from work.the more i try to ignore them the worse they get and then i give in.i say to myself right im only going to have one chocolate bar or biscuit but i dont i eat and eat until i actually feel sick.

was just wondering if any of you ladies know how to control these cravings?

I find at night i have to eat as i'm hungry because it's been a couple of hours since my last meal so i snack on something say a biscuit and then i want more and more to fill me up, hence eating too much then feeling sick! I now have a bowl of cereal or something before i go to bed to fill me up and keep me away from junk but you could sort out healthier snacks if you're healthy eating? It may take a couple of days/week but as soon as you stop eating junk food your body won't crave it any more x

yea im always hungry when i get in from work and one biscuit leads to about 10.guess i just have to keep at it and try and not give in lol

If you're too hungry to control cravings when you get home from work, try having a high protein snack about half an hour before leaving work. Something like low fat greek yogurt or cottage cheese and fruit; apple with cheese or apple with peanut butter; I like rice cakes with peanut butter. Protein fills you up fastest so will keep you from feeling voraciously hungry when you get home. Now if its a sweet tooth kind of craving that's different. But not being super hungry will help you with will power anyway. :)

I read don't keep things in clear containers where you can see them, and typically cravings only last 5 minutes so call someone get your mind off it.

Brush your teeth! Having a lovely fresh mouth will stop you wanting to graze.

Make sure you drink enough water throughout the day as sometimes thirst can fool you into thinking you are hungry.

I agree with Gen79 about eating a protein snack around a half hour before you leave work. Protein helps you to feel fuller and helps curb cravings.

"be stronger than your cravings" :)

I use several different things to control cravings, because Mine get bad on my days off of work! I work 4 10 hour shifts, so I get 3 days off a week, and I feel the urge to eat all day long!
Keeping no junk food in the house is out of the question, my husband is a snacker, and so there is always something here. I will use the brush your teeth, or chew gum one. Because few foods taste good with a minty mouth, plus you don't want to ruin the fresh breath feeling. I also will drink a big glass of water, and if I'm still hungry, then I know its hunger not thirst.
I am a chocoholic! I keep chocolate chips (for baking) in the house. And when I need chocolate, I go and grab about 5-10 chocolate chips. Just a few is lower in calories than a candy bar, and satisfies the craving. (but it does require self control!)
Another thing I do is with cookies (I LOVE cookies!). My husband, who is very tall, (6 foot 9 inches) will hide my cookies somewhere up high. And he sets out one cookie a day for me (I still don't know where he hides them!) and I only get that cookie. It keeps moderation for me, and I have no choice because I can't find the darn things! (and trust me, I've tried!) haha

yea chocolates my downfall as well,if i have one piece i find it very hard to stay away from the rest.

I would keep it all out of the house if it were me :hugs:

I found after about a month of eating healthy I wasn't craving the bad type foods any longer.

I also think it's important (for me at least) to have one day a week as a cheat day where I basically eat what I want so that I'm not feeling deprived of anything

For me i try to push it all out of my head and snack on fruits instead my favourite being watermelon, i also stopped buying biscuits, muffins, chocolate etc. I keep all that stuff out of the house so its easier for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->