How to cope with death of pet?

Bittersweet

Complete(Boy/Girl)after losses and premature birth
Reaction score
I had to put my cat down yesterday (mums cat, but we got her when I was little she was 14 and i adored her). She was dropping weight rapidly and there were other things so the vet advised it was best.
She died peacefully and dignified I held her and petted her.

I came home (I have a cat at my place) all I did was cry and today I just can't stop. I can't I miss her so much already :(. I dint know how to cope? :cry:

Sorry hun. Losing a pet can be tough- but time will make it easier. :hugs:

Like any loss in life- try to focus on the time you had together and the joy your pet brought into your life. It's ok to greive, of course. Give yourself that time- then cope however works for you hun. There is no right or wrong.

Thank you. I just ache everywhere and can't stop thinking that she should have had longer and we should have had more time :(

I'm so sorry for your loss. I understand how you're feeling. Over two years ago I lost my pet hamster and I was devastated.

Allow yourself to grief. I was a mess for a whole week and still missed her very much afterwards but it does get better with time. Now I still think of her but instead of dissolving into tears I think of the good times and smile.

I'm so sorry, its so hard as they are part of the family. Let yourself grieve and remember all the good times

Aww that is so hard. Saying goodbye to my dog is still one of the most painful things I have been through 3 years on. But it does get easier. Allow yourself to cry and grieve. Soon it will be easier to remember the good times you had and things that made you smile about your pet rather than just how it ended. Take care xx

:hugs: It is hard, they're a part of your family. So sorry. I lost my cat a few years ago, I'd had him my whole childhood so it wasn't easy but I really enjoyed getting out old photos and going through them all, remembering the good and funny times. I found that really helped me.

Hugs xoxox we lost our 16yr old dog and it killed me. Just take a day at a time x

Our 17 year old dog had to be put down a few years ago. Like you, it was my mothers dog but I had grown up with her. It was really hard at the time and there is always worry about if you made the right choice, even when you know you did. It can be especially emotional if you are there when they are put down. Hugs. You will feel better in time.

Hun i'm so sorry :hugs:. Let yourself cry, you need to grief. I've lost a few of the family pets over the years (my parents have loads), and it's never easy, it's heartbreaking. They're members of the family and it's understandable to be upset. Time is a healer though and although you'll always miss them, try to be thankful for the love they've given xx

It must happened so quick we all thought we had more time with her. And she's gone :(

Losing a childhood pet is really hard, I think I cried more over the dog than I did many relatives.
It will take time to heal just as it would with any loss.

:hugs:

Xx

Yeah it's defs hard. I keep wondering if there's something the vet could have done. It I know she had go go

At that age even if there was something that could maybe have helped it's too much to put an old animal through.
You did the right thing and she has not suffered.
Xx

I googled what was wrong with her and alot if pages said her sitcoms would be too far home for the vet to help her so at least I know she had to go. Yes at least she isn't suffering x

It must happened so quick we all thought we had more time with her. And she's gone :(

I know what you mean. My cat was here one day then just didn't come home and that was it, he was gone. So hard when it's sudden like that :hugs:

It is. Plus we all thought she's go for longer tbh I thought my 2 year old cat would die before her that's how great she's been before now

I'm so sorry :hugs: I had to have our 17 year old dog put down on the 17th of April. She started fitting in our garden and gradually got worse and worse until we got to the vet. It was very traumatic for me I've never been in that situation and I had to do it alone. My OH was at work and all I could think was 'she's his dog she wants him here not me'. They gave her a drug to calm her so when they euthanised her she went peacefully.

All I did for about a week was cry at random moments. I felt so so guilty that I didn't find her sooner (I'd let her out in the garden as my son's therapist was about to arrive). I framed a picture of her and my son and my partner ordered a memorial plaque that we put onto the picture. Her passing still hurts but it's more of a dull ache now. Allow yourself time to grieve it's very hard to let them go especially if you have to make the decision to put them to sleep.

10271531_10204137423661010_863926188408410922_n.jpg

Oh sweetheart, I am so very sorry :hugs:. I know this pain very well indeed, I have lost several pets before their time and these have been some of the most heartwrenching moments of my life - the most recent was losing the cat love of my life the day before my daughter was born, I still haven't quite come to terms with it yet. What I will say is that it gets better with time. Allow yourself to grieve - it is like losing a member of the family, they love and depend on us and we nurture them like children. Your feelings are very real and very valid. Time does help though and you will be able to look back one day and remember all the wonderful things about her.

I am thinking of you :hugs:

Thank you. Just feel so sad and low :(. Sequeena that's lovely way yo remember her and the pic us cute!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->