how to freeze breastmilk?

TicToc

Reaction score
I saw something on here about how breastmilk can develop a bad taste if not either scalded or put in the fridge before freezing. Can anyone tell me exactly how to do either of these things? And is it ok for the milk to have already been in the fridge for a day or two?

I asked my lactation consultant if I could freeze several pumps together and she said that it was fine. She said to just make sure that the date I put on the bag (or however you choose to freeze) is the date of the first pump.

I don't know anything about scalding it-I have always read just how to warm it up by placing the milk in the bottle and the bottle in boiling water, or just under hot tap water.

Hope this helps!

You only need to scold your milk if you have an excess lipsase problem which makes the milk taste soapy after defrosting. All you do is put the milk in a saucepan and let it simmer. DO NOT leave it. As soon as little bubbles appear around the edges then you have turn it off, pour it into a storage bag and rapidly cool it under the tap or in a bowl of water and then freeze it. It is a total pain in the ass so i would test some frozen milk first to see if you have this problem before doing this all the time. If you do have to do it then dont let the milk boil it totally ruins it.

i haven't used any of the milk i've pumped for florence yet but with my older daughter i put milk straight from room temp to freezer, and defrosted in the fridge. i never scalded it, i wouldn't know how! :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->