How to get baby to go back to breastfeeding after getting used to bottles?

kris85

Reaction score
I have a 3 week old and after having issues breastfeeding (not latching properly, not gaining weight, constantly damaging my nipples & decreasing supply) it was recently found she has a posterior tongue tie.

To get it fixed its going to cost us around $500 so have been trying to decide weather to get it done or switch to formula (we were told they usually correct themselves in time so its not essential to get it done). In the meantime I've been pumping & topping up with formula as I'm only pumping. around 1-2 ounces every 3 hours.

Today I tried to put her on the breast & she would only suck a little and then became really fussy, kept pulling off, shaking her head and even just falling asleep - and I know she was hungry. I'm assuming shes gotten too used to bottles.

I'm leaning towards getting the tongue tie fixed and pursue with breastfeeding but now I'm worried we'll pay all that money and then she wont feed from my breasts.

Any advice on how to get her to take the breast again? Also how to I re-establish my supply without having to feed her non stop, or is that the only way? I have a toddler and don't have the time to constantly have her on me or pump all the time!

Not sure I have any real help for you, but I've had similar problems. I also express about 1-2 oz per session and have to top up with formula.

She has never sucked at all on the boob, until I tried nipple shields last week which worked perfectly, maybe that would help you too? I've now got thrush though so back to pumping for the time being before trying again!!

When you get your little girl back on the boob, are you planning to stop the formula? I'm not sure what to do about that if mine goes back on - I know they say babies get more out than a pump, but even if she was to get double what I pump, she'd still be about an ounce short of what she has at the minute and I'd really like to avoid having to feed her every hour or so! Difficult to know what to do!

X

I think she may be fussy and sleepy at the breast because it's hard for her, with the tongue tie. Not necessarily because she prefers the bottle..?

She's still young so I expect she would go back to the breast if her tongue was freed up. I would go with the TT procedure, and soon. I also highly recommend Craniosacral therapy to loosen things up before the TT procedure. My DD had the TT snip (twice as it reattached) and I'm glad I got it done. She was feeding with shields before we got it done and she was weaned off the shields shortly after the second snip.

However, it's hard to predict as some babies just prefer the bottle/shield :(

She is probably fussy cause BFing is more work.
You could also to get her used to being on the breast use a SNS so that she gets more while on the breast and she doesn't get too fussy cause of the flow from you.
A sling or wrap would also maybe be helpful as you can keep LO close to breasts while still having hands free to tend to your other child. It would help to keep your supply up till you get the tongue tie done.
Eating oatmeal every day is good for supply as are lactation cookies. You can also try fenugreek and blessed thistle. And there is also mothers milk tea that you could try.

https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/exclusive-pumping/#IncreasingSupply

Lots of skin to skin, lie on sofa with bare chest and strip baby off to nappy. Spend as much time as you can doing this so baby reignites feeding reflex. Have a bath with baby....more skin to skin.

That may help

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->