How to get baby to swallow!!!

Scottish Sam

Mummy to Rebecca Rose
Reaction score
I want to start weaning Rebecca at about 5 months and thought I would try giving her a very small amount of baby rice every night to get her used to the different texture. She screws up her face and its like she doesnt know how to swallow??

Any ideas on how i can get her used to something other than milk? I have tried creamy baby cereal too but it doesnt make any difference

She'll learn from watching you eat and be able to when she's ready.

They will just play with it in their mouths at first pushing it backwards,forwards and sometimes all the way out. Its not because they dont like it etc its just they have to practise thats all. After a while they will get used to it.
Tabs weaned lovely at 3 months so just go with what you feel is right for your bubs and you wont go wrong.
Tabs hated that baby rice though so just went with the cereals then onto smooth bland things like cauli cheese etc
Keep up the practise and im sure bubs will get the hang of it :hugs:

Oh and make sure you have plenty of time and chill out with it too, lots of smiles and praise. If you get anxious about it they will too.

Tried again but she thinks its a game and is too busy smiling and laughing to eat!!!!

I think she is ready for something more than milk as she gives you a begging look whenever you are eating :rofl:

And I'm hoping i will help with her reflux too

i too would suggest it's too soon. She'll do it naturally when it's time. It's not necessary until 6 months.

Sonny - why did you wean so early? It's not medically recomended so early....(not preaching, just reminding other readers - babies should be left until 6 months before weaning if possible)

she will pick it up :D Ciaran was the same when i first started

i too would suggest it's too soon. She'll do it naturally when it's time. It's not necessary until 6 months.

Sonny - why did you wean so early? It's not medically recomended so early....(not preaching, just reminding other readers - babies should be left until 6 months before weaning if possible)

She couldnt physically handle the quantities she needed of fluid. Was still only doing a max of 3-4oz every 3 hours due to her reflux.
Her body needed more but her tummy couldnt handle any more volume of liquid.
Had the go ahead from the consultant paediatrician at the hospital and he said the 6 month rule is only to safe guard the medical professionals as yes some babies are not ready before 6 months but the majority are and you know when you're baby is ready etc.
xxx

She couldnt physically handle the quantities she needed of fluid. Was still only doing a max of 3-4oz every 3 hours due to her reflux.
Her body needed more but her tummy couldnt handle any more volume of liquid.
Had the go ahead from the consultant paediatrician at the hospital and he said the 6 month rule is only to safe guard the medical professionals as yes some babies are not ready before 6 months but the majority are and you know when you're baby is ready etc.
xxx

Ah right, quite an exceptional little miss then. people should check with their doc if planning to wean before 6 months. And definately if beofre 4 months.
If the World Health Organizaiton recomends it...

I know my LO wasnt able to sit up straight and support his head and swallowing well enough at 3 months.

Ah right, quite an exceptional little miss then. ??

I know my LO wasnt able to sit up straight and support his head and swallowing well enough at 3 months.
Im not talking pork chops and rib eye steaks that was more when she got to 16 weeks and her 2 bottom teeth came through to their full length. Just a thin consistency baby cereal.

They will just play with it in their mouths at first pushing it backwards,forwards and sometimes all the way out. Its not because they dont like it etc its just they have to practise thats all. After a while they will get used to it.
Tabs weaned lovely at 3 months so just go with what you feel is right for your bubs and you wont go wrong.
Tabs hated that baby rice though so just went with the cereals then onto smooth bland things like cauli cheese etc
Keep up the practise and im sure bubs will get the hang of it :hugs:

Come on girls lets play nice. Sonny has stated in this thread (and others) that she had reasons to wean early. It's not something she took lightly at all (if you see the post about her talking to the consultant etc. etc.). Personally don't think we can judge unless we've been in another persons shoes. Although it may be recommended that babies be weaned at 6 months we all know that doesn't work for every baby and every situation.

I want to start weaning Rebecca at about 5 months and thought I would try giving her a very small amount of baby rice every night to get her used to the different texture. She screws up her face and its like she doesnt know how to swallow??

Any ideas on how i can get her used to something other than milk? I have tried creamy baby cereal too but it doesnt make any difference

Personally this makes me believe that she just may not be ready for solids yet....but you and only you know your baby and what's best for her

Caitlin always watched us eat and showed interest then we started giving her tastes an dlike someone said they will play with it, feel the texture, spit most out and in time they will get the hang of it.

Caitlin was never a fan of baby rice right through her weaning!

I can't remember when we started I think about 5 months and tbh went with flow a bit that its not clear in my mind.

Talk to your HV she will advice you better and even give you suggestions based on yoru babies milk intake etc but Mummys usually right. Nothing wrong with trying if thats what your feeling - my own instincts have been wrong on things as Mummy but you know what you figure that out almost instantly and come back to it again another day.

x

Just to make it clear, I dont want to fully wean her just now, I just wanted to get her used to a different texture other than milk.

But she does have silent reflux and I have spoken to my HV who suggested letting her try baby cereal/rice as we are lucky to get her to take 20-25oz of milk per day and even then its a struggle

I'm not pushing the issue but just letting her try some every day or so
Thanks for the advice :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back