how to get rid of a cough?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by corrie anne, Dec 19, 2009.

1. corrie anne

corrie anne Mom of 7 girls and 4 boys

i have had a cough for 2 weeks now maybe longer and it is getting worse. i was prescribed antibiatics and was told to use rubitussin dm. it hasnt gone away and i am starting to think i am getting worse. i am having bouts of coughing where i cant catch my breath and i just cough and cough and cough. not really hacking anything up. i so need some relief!!!!!

2. 05wilkesm

05wilkesm Guest

im gonna be keeping my eye on this thread cos im exactly the same!
    i got a honey and glycerin medicine from boots and took some strepsils but im even being sick at night cos im constantly coughing!
    xx

3. Bingles

Bingles Proud mum of one

good thread I have just got a cough and cold and its causzing sharp chest pains every so often

4. plumplump

plumplump very cautiously pregnant

A few things I find good are Jakemans cough and throat sweets you get them for £1 for 2 bags in Asda. Also how about buttercup cough syrup it is soothing and i think it is fine for preggos. If it persists I would just go and get it checked again you might need a change of antibiotic. Hope you feel better soon girls x

5. corrie anne

thank you, i am in america so i dont know if we have thoughs things hear. i am on amoxicilicin. they also gave me an inhaler which i have used only once. they didnt check my chest on an x-ray. she even said my lungs sounds clear but everytime i cough its so rough and i feel flem when i inhale which makes it harder to breathe. now my kiddies are coughing.

6. Natnee

Natnee Mummy to Belle

I have had a cold for 3 weeks now, started off in my head but this week I have been coughing more but mostly at night. I think lying down sets me off. My sister told me something which sounds impossible but works. When she had a cold in the summer her doctor told her to try and NOT start coughing, as this sets off your coughing reflexes and then you can't stop. Mine has been a tickly cough but I have found if I just ride over the sensation, maybe have a drink of water it passes. Otherwise If I start I just can't stop til I'm almost being sick.

7. p3rox

p3rox Well-Known Member

I've been drinking hot water with lemon & honey and that's working for me.......Manuka honey is AMAZING for things like coughs but it's also quite expensive so normal honey will do :thumbup:

Hope you feel better soon xxx :hugs:

8. corrie anne

thank you ladies, i am aware that honey soothes a cough but am worried about having some during pregnancy since its not pasteurized. i love honey though. i have been drinking hot tea, i heard that caffiene helps open your airways.

9. Bingles

Bingles Proud mum of one

Thats amazing you say that, My OH said to me this morninkg to drink the honey he had in the cubord with hot water as its Manuka honey and great for the throat I laughed at him thinking Honey is honey and I hate it all. I will deffo have a glass of it in the morning though :thumbup:

10. LogansMama

LogansMama Well-Known Member

Make sure you are drinking LOADS and LOADS of water! Water will help to keep things loose. Make it a point to try and drink a GALLON. Seriously. Now I just need to follow my own advice... I know when I do, it works!

11. corrie anne

I think i drink about a pint of water a day plus all the sweet teas.lol. i hate water.

12. Bingles

Bingles Proud mum of one

ok I gave in its 3am my cough is doing my head in so I have manuka honey and lemon in hot water please let it work :coffee: :sad1:

13. corrie anne

Did it work? My kiddies have been up all night vomiting one right after the other. 3 of 5 have been and the other 2 are on antibiotics for ear infections so i hope that is way they havent been vomiting. my coughing is getting worse, my nose is running like a fauset again and i have massive flem. its not going to be an easy week, hopefully everyone will be well in time for christmas!!!

14. louise1302

louise1302 mum to FIVE boys :)

theres a cough syrup available from boots that is perfectly safe for pregnant ladies, i had a bad bout of bronchitis last xmas at 34 weeks preg and the pharmacist gave it me, it does contain a small amount of codeine but this is safe to take (the hosp gave me codeine for spd) its called Pavacol-d and is fantastic its about £3 for a huge bottle

hth

15. Bingles

Bingles Proud mum of one

Hiya tbh honest it helped it and get me to sleep still have cough this morning but going to keep going with it what else can I do. Hope your kids feel better soon xx

16. corrie anne

Bingles, im glad it worked for you. my DH is making me some tea now. he made one already but i like mine soaring hot, and he made it warm.
    My ob gave me a Rx for rubbitussin with codine in it but my husband told me that the label said not reccomended for pregnant women so he wont let me have any. i dont think we have it anymore, he might have tossed it out.