how to get rid of burnt cooking smell?

summer rain

Mum of 5
Reaction score
Earlier on, I was boiling some black eyed beans (peas) to make curry with tonight and OH came back from his friend's to pick up my two eldest for their part-time school-my eldest had just been messing about for the past hour and hadn't got ready like he said he would and like I assumed he was in the bathroom for ages doing, so I was really flustered trying to get them ready and out in time. Meanwhile my beans boiled dry, got horribly burnt on the bottom of the pan and I had to throw them away. It was a steel pan so not as potentially lethal as non-stick but it smells horrible! I have as many windows open as is tolerable in this weather and the extractor fan on in the kitchen but it still smells awful.....

Could you open the back door and all the windows, spray a bit of air freshner and close the kitchen door so the rest of the house doesnt get really cold? It's a horrible smell when somethings burnt in the pan, hope it goes soon. xxx

We live in a flat; sorry forgot to mention that but we do have a weird type of window in the kitchen where the top of it opens fully like a door-have that as wide open as possible lets see if it helps xx

It's one of the worst smells to get rid of too isnt it! I just did a quick search and apparently leaving a bowl of vinegar out, or boiling a pan with water and vinegar or water and lemon should do the trick.

I also heard a while ago that if you want the house to smell nice you should put some fabric conditioner in to water in a pan and boil that as the smell will fill the air - sounds like a strange one but I can imagine it to smell nice (make sure you wash the pan properly afterwards.) xxx

was going to say boil up some lemon juice & water or fabric conditioner & water.

thanks ladies :D Just came back to this thread now; I didn't do the boiling fabric conditioner trick as just read it but I did two loads of washing and strangely the fabric conditioner smell seemed to soak up the burnt smell and it just smelt neutral then; OH couldn't smell anything was burnt when he got back-so I knew the smell must've gone because he would be the first person to smell it xx

Thats good news, glad you got rid of the horrible smell. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->