How to get started in cloth when LO is 9 months old

Lu28

Aisling's mammy
Reaction score
I had been toying with the idea of cloth since before Aisling was born but kept being put off by the relatively large initial outlay as money is tight at the moment. I do keep looking at the overall saving of cloth though and Shifter's statistic of spending £1000 on sposies until LO is 2.5 years has gone a long way to giving me the push! :haha:

I know literally nothing about it though, have no idea where to start in looking at types of nappies suitable for this age, what else you need (liners etc), how to clean them...... The list goes on! Is there anywhere where I can find all this advice - don't want you ladies having to write an essay because of my ignorance!! :lol:

https://www.babykind.co.uk/whatwilIineed.htm

this is useful :)

To be honest the girls here are a great source of knowledge and its so useful to have so many peoples opinions on products, sizes, problems etc.

Glad I did some good for once lol! :thumbup:

It can be daunting when starting out, but we are all happy to answer your questions.

You will probably want to look at "one size" nappies, that is, ones that will last you now until she potty trains. The other option is to start with size 2 nappies, but it depends how big Aisling is already!

I really recommend trying a few different brands to see what fits her best and what you get along with. See if your council offer an incentive. Some offer cash back on real nappies, others have starter kits available with a few different nappy samples.

You will need a nappy bucket and you may wish to opt for washable or disposable liners, though I have never bothered with them.

:)

I'd love to have as much advice as possible from you ladies, just feel a bit bad being spoonfed when you guys have probably done your own research! :blush:

Honestly hun, most of the research any of us has done has been asking other mums what they do!

Shifter, she's 18lbs if that makes a difference re sizes?

I'll have a look into council incentives, presumably just on the local council websites?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of liners?

Well I use one size nappies, but I gather that sized brands will vary a little in where they advise you to move up from size 1 to size 2.

Liners have two functions: 1 to draw the moisture away from the skin. 2 to catch solids. Disposable/flushable liners are easy, you just tip the whole lot down the loo. Washables are obviously more eco-friendly and economical as you wash and reuse them. If you use a pocket nappy, such as Bum Genius or Blueberry then you don't need liners for reason one as the nappies themselves are layered with fleece, which draws the moisture away.

Ooh yes Lu, you will love it! Have a look through some past threads on here - other ladies have asked the same questions, hang on I'll find one :)

:yipee: Thats great hun:)

What kind of nappy you want will depend on loads of factors....money, longevity, ease of use etc etc

have a think about what is important to you(and OH) in a nappy if you can think of your 3-4 most important things you need from a nappy then i'm sure we can all recommend a few different types for you to look into etc :hugs:

Thanks ladies!!

I think the main things are:

Ease of use - not sure if some are easier than others
Ones you use liners with - given the state of some of Aisling's weaning nappies, I think using liners might ease me into it! :lol:
Cost - it'd be nice if they'd last her a while
Prettiness - I sort of want to way up the cost with some of the really pretty ones I've seen you guys with!

I've found my council do a £30 cashback if you spend £60 so I'll get the voucher for that and have a read of the links you've given me, thanks! :flower:

Oh and I like the slimmer fit ones too.

What sort of price should I expect to pay for preloved?

Woooooo!! Welcome!!! You are going to LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

I'll give you a week til your addicted.

Pockets are my fave type of nappy for all of the things you mentioned were important. Once you have stuffed the nappy with its soaker, it is pretty much as easy as a disposable nappy to put on and change. I like liners, and I use fleece reusable ones but I just cut up a fleece myself and use pieces of that. That way, if its a REALLY messy poo explosion, I just chuck it away but 99 times out of 100 it's good to be just washed with the rest of my nappies!

Just ask away if you need anything, even if it sounds silly! xxx

yaaaaaaaaay :) if you want some slimmes fitting fluff then check out some itti's - they are absolutely bloody LUSH! and fit really trim!! they cost somewhere between 11-13 new depending on the print etc so are fairly reasonable but they are sized so you will have to replace once Aiisling grows out of each size.

also check out Blueberrys they are lovely and soft and look really pretty :) tho are a little more on the expensive side (somewhere around £23 ish) but they are BTP (birth to potty ) so will fit till she is Potty Trained:) :hugs:

sara

xxxxx

Ok, one of many stupid questions I'm sure! :blush: You know the nappy covers - are they the pretty looking things you guys have photos of your LOs in or do they go on top of the pretty things? If they go on top, do the pretty nappies ever get seen??? There should be a guidebook on this, I'm useless when I have too much choice!

it depends what kinda nappy you get hun. some nappies need covers (fitteds or terrys) others like AIO (all in ones) or Pockets or AI2(all in twos) dont need covers so you get to show off the gorgeousness:)

ps NO questions are stupid :hugs:

Lol, if we are handing out recommendations I would say the BumGenius AIO Organic, it is my all out favourite by far, no covers, no stuffing, just one piece, so really easy. Freya wees like a horse and we have never had a leak from them, like we have so many others.

It all depends on your baby's shape though, so what will suit one baby might not suit Aisling.

Do you want to borrow anything from me to have a play? We are still in disposables because of this stupid norovirus so mine are sitting unloved :cry: If you want you can borrow a Blueberry (birth to potty) BG AIO (birth to potty) Pop In (birth to potty) all lovely and clean of course, I wouldn't let a stain come close to my pretty nappies! Let me know if you want a try.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->