How to give the pubity talk

Jkelmum

Reaction score
My daughter will be only 9 in march but her boobs are starting to sprout i had my 1st period at 10 so feel i need to sit and chat with her but i also feel shes too young not sure how to go about it ...she,s still my little girl:cry:

Hmm I honestly have no idea, hope it goes well for you though! My mom talked to me about it when I got my period but by that time I knew what to do anyway because I was 11 and we had just taken it in school and I really didn't want my mom to talk to me about it at all.

A couple of more years and I will be facing this talk. I think it's wise to sit down now and explain to her and not wait until she's a bit older. I didn't have this talk and I was overwhelmed with everything and truly didn't understand what was happening with my body.

Perhaps get a book on it and sit and explain to her what she will face in terms of changes in her body.

I agree with leeanne, maybe try a book, or even a website? If you don't get the chance to sit and discuss it with her before it all starts she'll only end up talking about it with friends and a lot of the time the info she gets from her peers won't be exactly accurate. May help to reassure her if she hears it from you xx

Sorry hun no idea...i learnt everything i know from school! lol
The book is a good idea...or speak to someone on here that has older girls...like Amanda or Mamafy?? I'm sure someone will be along soon x

Thanks anyway i am gunna have to try find a good book xxx

I dont know if its just for older kids, but my mum used Davina's book with my little sister. It has adults and kids sections for them to read to try and cut down on the embarrassment on both sides. I think it goes as far with the older kids sections to explain slang terms ect. Wish mum has of had it with me, would of saved a lot of embarrassment.

I think this is the book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lets-Talk-Sex-Anita-Naik/dp/1905026188

HTH
-x-

My dd is 10-and has the book What's Happening to Me? It's very good and we've both found it very helpful!!!
She has sex ed at school (yr6) but says she is glad I got her a book-it helped prepare her for what they would be talking about!
What we did to start with, was to look at the book together as I didn't want to give it to her for bedtime reading!

I dont know if its just me but i dont find it embarrassing....i would just be open....start first by explaining what a period is and that as you had a period early, that she MIGHT have a period early so you just want her to know what will happen so she isnt scared...then the questions should come after that....

i have a little brother who is 13 and i talk to him frankly about everything...he does sometimes get embearrassed but i tell him not to be and he open up with me...especially when i was pregnant....any questions i told him honestly and frankly....my mum was like this with me and i was able to go to her about anything and still can.

If you make it uncomfortable, she'll feel uncomfortable. I'm so open I don't think I'll have a problem :blush:

If you make it uncomfortable, she'll feel uncomfortable. I'm so open I don't think I'll have a problem :blush:

me too....

my mum was so open with me that i didnt find it embarrassing or anything......and i went to her with any problems or questions i had...same as my sister....

I've no advice, my DS is the same age I brought a book called "Living with a Willy" thinking it would be an easy way of doing it. How wrong was I?:dohh:

I sat with him one sunday aternoon to read with him, half way down the 2nd page it started on about orgasms and multiple orgasms:-=..:saywhat: Needless to say we didn't get much further. I have since given the book to my friends DS as he's 15, he thinks it a fantastic book and has been reading it to his mates over the XBox chat thing. :telephone::friends: So it's been useful to someone.. :thumpup:

Thought you'd like the giggle..:rofl::rofl: Guess I'm going back to the drawing board..#-o

me too....

my mum was so open with me that i didnt find it embarrassing or anything......and i went to her with any problems or questions i had...same as my sister....

Im like that too!

My little sis is 15 years younger than me and i gave her all the talks (my mum wont do it and didnt with me) i had to explain everything from boobs to periods to where Tampons should go and how the baby gets there :roll:

I had the same chat (well the baby bit lol) with my 10 year old step son last year, i think he asked me because he knows i will talk about everything.

Id just talk openly about things ... i wouldn't use vulgar words but i wouldn't use soppy words either,
Pictures are helpful to show exactly what happens (you can find alot of stuff online ;)
Most of all hun try to enjoy it ... it a big mum/child thing that you can do for her xxxxx

i think opt for an easy to read straight forward book. If i remember correctly back when my mum was giving me the "talk" it was embarassing for me and i definately didnt want to talk about it (and my mum and i are very close)..i think its just one of those subjects young girls get overwhelmed by and tend to avoid.

A book that she can read in her own time and in her own privacy is the way to go. Just let her know she can talk to you or ask you questions about anything.

best of luck

My DD is 9 will be 10 in June. She stated growing boobs at 8, we had to buy bra's. Well this past summer I noticed she started getting hair under her arms. She is 9 OMG!! Freaking out here.

I sat her down and told her she becoming a little lady and things will start to happen to her body that might scare her but not to be scare this is natural. We talked about her period and what to do if it happens at school, why girls get a period.
If she asked me I answered it in a way she would understand. I could tell by some of her expressions I was giving TMI at times, but she walked away knowing what to expect in the general 9 year old mind. I did by a book and put it on her dresser if she chooses to read it that is up to her.
Scary isnt it?? I was thinking I had a couple more years before this conversation. They grow up way to fast!!!

Sorry forgot to ad that the book is called "What is happening to my body" by Author Lynda Madaras

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->