How to go about breastfeeding & expressing?

LeoTheLion

Reaction score
Hiya, with ds1 i ebf but this time round i'm planning on expressing also so hubby can be involved a bit more & i can have a little freedom to do things with ds1 still ..
Those who do both what kind of routine do you have?

TIA XX

Interested to know also.
I would ideally like to express from 6 weeks + as I will return to work for 2 days a week.

I breast feed in the mornings and evenings and always pump after each feeding session to keep up my supply, then I pump and bottle throughout the day, I generally pump every 8 hrs and get about 12 oz each pumping session unless I've just fed her then less of course, but since I think I'm about to get my first pp af my supply has suffered a bit so I've been pumping every 6 hrs and after nursing! That way I can freeze some and refrigerate some for her bottles! Hope this helps.... Oh, I forgot, if we are out of the house during a scheduled feed I generally just breast feed. I prefer to nurse when out of the house since it's easier than carrying a bottle and everything!

^ that's not to say I feed her on a "schedule" ,just that she's gotten into a routine and I can pretty well work things around her schedule! ;)

thankyou, that does help. I don't want to express then not have enough to bf if baby wants it say 10 mins later.

I express once a day so I can build up stocks for OH to give the occasional feed and so that I can get away for a few hours now and then.

I pump in the morning as I find I get most at that time of day and LO is happy to space out his feeds then.

I've been giving a bottle of expressed milk since 4 weeks, once a day or every other day. We did slack off for a bit while I was saving stocks for a wedding, and he almost started to refuse the bottle so I recommend that once you start you keep it up regularly.

I don't express a lot so for the poster looking advice on returning to work, I hope someone else can reply and advise you. :thumbup:

It's hard to know when, I'm just starting to pump so I can build a stash. I aim to pump straight after the first am feed when we're getting up. He feeds every 2ish hours, if I do the whole hour before or after last feed thing, he gets frustrated at the boob.

However, there is milk there, he just has to work harder and I know my supply would adjust if I did it daily, but straight after works best. I get half the amount, but he's not annoyed for next feed and it should adjust soon to get more :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->