How to manage weight gain?

phrumkidost

Reaction score
I feel like my weight gain is out of control. I'm eating when I am hungry and trying to be reasonable. My diet is healthy (most of the time!). When I overeat, it's usually raw vegetables. But it now looks like I am retaining water and beginning to swell up -- it's not just in my bump. Help? Has anyone been able to manage this?

I have been trying so hard to control my weight but I am huuuuge! I can't get a grip on it - I have stopped worrying now because I know it will come off afterwards. I put 5 stone on with my 2 boys and lost it all in 6 months - so far with this one I'm up 3 stones!!!

Hey. I used to be worried about weight gain but not so much now. I eat when I'm hungry and my cravings are normally cereal so I don't deprive myself. I eat fruit and veg with my meals but the weight is piling on from the other things I eat but I'm not in the frame if mind to do anything about it right now. I'm gonna gain whether I like it or not! My goal is to lose a certain amount of weight by Xmas so I'll worry about that after bubs is born :) I'm up 2.5 stone now nearly x

This subject seems to be very prominent for 3rd trimester, and I have posted on about weight gain too... yesterday, my husband took a few pictures of me and I was so round for the first time in my life! Especially it is interesting to see that some women who are 6-9 months pregnant are still skinny like models except for their bumps.. It looks like they are either restricting their diet or who knows what keeps them this way?!
I have decided not to worry about it and just get the weight off after I give birth.

Yippee thanks so much for this post!!! I keep thinking of putting one on but didn't want people to get the wrong end of the stick. I've really struggled with my weight gain as its quite alot and all I've seen is people posting how little they have out on which makes me feel even worse! With my daughter I put on 6 stone through my whole pregnancy and with this pregnancy I'm 28 weeks and up 32lb!!! Aarrgghhhh there I said it!! I've been keeping that number a secret! But I'm exactly like u ladies and think ill eat when I'm hungry and whst me and baby are craving (luckily she likes veg and salad atm, my other daughter didn't during my pregnancy he he he) then ill worry about it when she gets here. This post is a breath of fresh air to be honest!! Thank u so my h for posting! As long as we are all happy and baby's are happy and frowning nicely then all is great :) sorry for the ramble just relieved to see this post xxxx

I feel like my weight gain is out of control. I'm eating when I am hungry and trying to be reasonable. My diet is healthy (most of the time!). When I overeat, it's usually raw vegetables. But it now looks like I am retaining water and beginning to swell up -- it's not just in my bump. Help? Has anyone been able to manage this?

How much have you gained? I am really watching what I eat as am up 10.5 kilos already and don't really want to gain any more...

I tend to only put weight on my bump and stay pretty slim everwhere else, i dont like the insinuation its down to food restriction.

I just listen to my body and eat when im hungry...which is alot! If there is one time in a womans life where their weight shouldnt be a worry its when shes pregnant

I wouldn't worry about it, I have GD so control my diet and have to watch everything I eat and drink and I've put on 2 and a half stone - imagine if I could eat what I wanted, I'd be up 5 stone at least by now!

I had gained about 40 lbs with my twins up until about 33 weeks... then between 33-34 (8 days to be exact) I started swelling REALLY bad and gained 19 lbs in those 8 days... that was INSANE but the doc says its all swelling and water weight... my ankles (or cankles rather) and calves are huge and swollen... but overall I dont look fat and none of my eating habits changed... so the weight we gain is a combo of water weight and expected weight gain. But 19 lbs in 8 days????? I was in SHOCK :wacko:

omg this is so me right now,i feel huge,not to mention the weeks still to come,im hungry all day,all i think about is food,food is my best friend,i dont even want to go out cause i feel so ugly these days ..

How much have you gained? I am really watching what I eat as am up 10.5 kilos already and don't really want to gain any more...

At 28 weeks I've gained 20 pounds, so about 8.5 kilos or so. Looking at those online weight calculators, this puts me at the upper end of "normal". I wouldn't be so troubled by this if it weren't for the fact that I actually lost 10 lbs in the first tri. This means that I've basically gained 30 lbs in the past 12 weeks. If I continue at this rate I will be huge and way out of what's considered normal. I am not worried about losing the weight after the baby, but remaining healthy while pregnant.

Thanks also to all of you who have responded! It is reassuring to hear I am not the only one concerned about weight gain. I guess as long as it's healthy it should be okay. But hard not be alarmed by the numbers and the puffiness...

I try to go on body shape rather than weight. I can see that most of my added weight (around 15kg now) is in my bump but I also have a bit more podge on my hips and a bit of back fat (euw) around my bra which I'll have to lose after baby comes.

If you can see that you're putting on fat (i.e. weight on your arms, legs, back, hips etc) then it might be worth checking with your Dr to see whether they are concerned and recommend any diet changes. If your Dr is happy then just carry on as you are - you do need a certain amount of fat gain when you're pregnant and I don't think it's anything to worry about unless it's excessive.

You might find that you've put on a lot of weight recently because baby has had a few growth spurts - it sounds like you've put on a perfectly normal amount overall so don't worry!

My mother is 5'10" and has weighed 135 lbs her whole adult life. . . . except when she's pregnant. She literally has the healthiest diet of anyone I know; mostly veggies with some fruit and protein. She exercises, does all the right stuff and is in great shape. She does this while she's pregnant also.
With me (1st born), she gained 32 lbs. Everyone else, 50 +. I think some people it just happens, and some people it doesn't. She lost it within 6 months too every time, so don't be scared that you won't loose it. If you're gaining from healthy food, your body needs it for something. And if you're breastfeeding, you burn 500 calories a day minimum while they're BFing exclusively, so as long as you maintain a healthy diet while BFing, it'll come off.

Thanks also to all of you who have responded! It is reassuring to hear I am not the only one concerned about weight gain. I guess as long as it's healthy it should be okay. But hard not be alarmed by the numbers and the puffiness...

But I think the regained weight does not count - that is just your body replenishing fluids etc lost through ms. So I would take the 8.5 kilos as the overall gain - which is really good and at the low end of permissible gain. You have done really well plus if you are concerned you can try to maintain your weight rather than gain more - that is my plan. So I have toast for breakfast, baked potato and lots of salad for lunch (or soup or salad) and a snack rather than a whole meal for dinner. Lots of fruit in between. I hope I can maintain it :).

Ohmigosh I so know how you feel! I just posted about this this week. I've been walking and eating fairly healthy since and I haven't gained a thing!! In fact I've lost a little weight!! I find if I'm not super careful and I don't work out then I gain like 5 lbs that week and if I do watch what I eat and work out then I don't gain any lol.

I had gained about 40 lbs with my twins up until about 33 weeks... then between 33-34 (8 days to be exact) I started swelling REALLY bad and gained 19 lbs in those 8 days... that was INSANE but the doc says its all swelling and water weight... my ankles (or cankles rather) and calves are huge and swollen... but overall I dont look fat and none of my eating habits changed... so the weight we gain is a combo of water weight and expected weight gain. But 19 lbs in 8 days????? I was in SHOCK :wacko:

I have no swelling as of yet but I am the same way. Within the past 5 weeks I have gained 9 lbs and no matter what I do it keeps adding up more and more. :dohh: There is no way the baby is that big or needs all that. I dont know whats going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->