• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How to PEVENT Gestational Dibetes? Anyone? Help!

MyDreams888

Reaction score
Sorry Pevent = PREVENT!
Dibetes= Diabetes

Didn't see the spelling mistakes until I pressed "sent" and can't change it now! What's wrong with my typing???

How to AVOID Gestational Diabetes??? Anyone? HELP!!!

Hi ladies,

I just found out I'm pregnant with #2 on Saturday. OK I still need to go to the Dr to confirm, but I have had 2 very clear positive tests so...

BUT almost immediately, I'm ALREADY worrying if I'll have GD again this time around.

So my mom has diabetes and I'm over 35 so that already put me in the high risk category. The 1st time I was pregnant, I had to be in partial bed rest because I was bleeding (SCH). Also I had severe nausea till 6 months the only thing that made me feel better was sour/ sweet candies, I think that made things worse- eating sweets and no exercise. I ended up having borderline numbers for my GD test and I was diagnosed with GD.

Then the nightmare started... seeing 2 nutritionists several times and one of them was not so nice. Then starting 34 weeks, I had to go to the clinic every other day to have the baby heart beat scan (forgot what it's called exactly). One time the midwife made me go to the hospital immediately cuz she couldn't get a good heartbeat at the clinic. She was saying my baby may have a problem. I was pissed and super nervous because I somehow thought their old machines may have a problem. But anyways, when I went to the hospital, BOTH the nurse and my ob/gyn (she happened to be there that day) told me my baby is perfectly fine and there's nothing to worry about!!!

Now this whole GD thing has made me feel SUPER NERVOUS and stressful. Last time I gave birth to my healthy baby and he's 6 lb 12 oz, not overweight at all.

I REALLY hope that I'll have a smooth pregnancy without all these problems this time, ESP. NO GD!!!

Anyone knows how to PREVENT being diagnosed again??? HELP!!!

Thanks for reading!

No sorry, I'm pretty sure once you're already pregnant, there's really no way you can prevent it...you can watch your carbs and try to exercise but if you're going to get it, you're going to get it :( I'm not even done with this pregnancy yet and I'm already praying I won't have it for my next one haha, never had it until I hit over 30, I'm 33 now and I'll most likely be 35 or very close to 35 with my next one :/

No sorry, I'm pretty sure once you're already pregnant, there's really no way you can prevent it...you can watch your carbs and try to exercise but if you're going to get it, you're going to get it :( I'm not even done with this pregnancy yet and I'm already praying I won't have it for my next one haha, never had it until I hit over 30, I'm 33 now and I'll most likely be 35 or very close to 35 with my next one :/

hm... that really stinks.... and with another toddler boy already, I don't think I can go to the clinic every other day... this is just ridiculous. I REALLY hope that my pregnancy hormones won't act up like last time!!! So far I feel ok but it's probably cuz I just found out I'm pregnant. Last time my nice nutrionist told me I did really well and I only had slight problems with my fasting sugar, but not the rest ( I didn't take any medications). Nevertheless my clinic's rules is that every women with GD will have to do the scan every other day, no matter what... this on top of the GD diary, poking etc. was just driving me crazy.

btw, GOOD LUCK with your pregnancy and I'm sure you will have a healthy baby!

That sounds way over the top. A scan every other day?! That would drive me bonkers. I know a girl who loaded up on protein and fat just before the 1 hour test so she could pass it. At the end of the day though, if you have a problem you have to face it. I think it would do everyone some good to limit their carbs to at the most 70 a day. That was the only way I could keep mine under control and I still had to go on insulin (ended up being adult onset type 1). I bet they'd cut you some slack if you showed them awesome numbers. The damage comes from high blood sugar, not diabetes. I would ask for an a1c test as well just to have an idea what your body has been doing in the years in between pregnancies.

That sounds way over the top. A scan every other day?! That would drive me bonkers. I know a girl who loaded up on protein and fat just before the 1 hour test so she could pass it. At the end of the day though, if you have a problem you have to face it. I think it would do everyone some good to limit their carbs to at the most 70 a day. That was the only way I could keep mine under control and I still had to go on insulin (ended up being adult onset type 1). I bet they'd cut you some slack if you showed them awesome numbers. The damage comes from high blood sugar, not diabetes. I would ask for an a1c test as well just to have an idea what your body has been doing in the years in between pregnancies.

Yeah I felt that was way over the top too! Plus I had to see the ob/gyn or midwife every week, and nutritionist or high risk Dr occasionally...

So I thought that glucose test is supposed to be a fasting one? But there's no way the clinic knows the girl cheated right? My clinic doesn't do the 1 hour test. They only do the 3 hour test. Now I'm horrified. No matter what I do, I feel like I may fail the test...

I do try to watch my carbs after that pregnancy. But my problem is the lack of exercise. It's hard to have the energy/ time to do exercise as I'm the one taking care of my toddler boy.

Now I just found out I'm pregnant unexpectedly, I'm thrilled (cuz it's not easy for me to get pregnant the 1st time) but at the same time so worried. Now I feel like there's a lot of things I shouldn't eat already. And am finding food that can lower blood sugar levels...

They do a 1 hour non fasting glucose tolerance test in the US first. If you fail that one, you have to do the 3 hour GTT. She ended up passing her test. She tested her blood sugar everyday and knew what to do from her previous pregnancy, but didn't want the hassle of keeping food logs and the extra appointments. My advice is to cut out cereal, oatmeal, toast, pastry and pasta and all refined sugar. Eat meat, fish, cheese, eggs, veggies, berries, seeds and healthy fats like avocados, nuts, coconut oil, butter, cream. Www.alldayidreamaboutfood.com has so many recipes made over to be low carb. We also have low carb ice cream and chocolate bars (sweetened with natural sweeteners like stevia and erythiterol). No reason why you should be completely deprived. :)

They do a 1 hour non fasting glucose tolerance test in the US first. If you fail that one, you have to do the 3 hour GTT. She ended up passing her test. She tested her blood sugar everyday and knew what to do from her previous pregnancy, but didn't want the hassle of keeping food logs and the extra appointments. My advice is to cut out cereal, oatmeal, toast, pastry and pasta and all refined sugar. Eat meat, fish, cheese, eggs, veggies, berries, seeds and healthy fats like avocados, nuts, coconut oil, butter, cream. Www.alldayidreamaboutfood.com has so many recipes made over to be low carb. We also have low carb ice cream and chocolate bars (sweetened with natural sweeteners like stevia and erythiterol). No reason why you should be completely deprived. :)

So do you mean that if I don't eat any refined sugar I'll have a higher chance to pass the 3 hour test? You know my clinic won't do 1 hour for EVERYONE (at least it was like that last time).

And thanks for the link! I'll check it out later! I know all the carbs calculation etc... I also have the equipments to test the blood sugar by myself. I mainly don't want to go thru the horrifying experience with the nutritionists and scans.

Totally agree with this and I think it's crazy to get scanned every other day as well!!! That alone has to pose some risk to baby...in fact I'd say a bigger risk than the GD itself when properly managed as best as possible with a healthy high fat, high protein, low carb diet.

Totally agree with this and I think it's crazy to get scanned every other day as well!!! That alone has to pose some risk to baby...in fact I'd say a bigger risk than the GD itself when properly managed as best as possible with a healthy high fat, high protein, low carb diet.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree... I felt kind of depressed cuz I had to go to the clinic to have them "checked" this & that all the time. As if I was in big trouble, although the doctors said I was fine... And indeed my blood sugar levels were mostly fine after the 1st week of diagnosis, with only slight problem with fasting blood sugar in the morning. I did not even have to take medications for that...

6 Fruits to help control blood sugar:

https://healthagy.com/type-ii-diabetes-6-fruits-to-help-control-your-blood-sugar/

6 Fruits to help control blood sugar:

https://healthagy.com/type-ii-diabetes-6-fruits-to-help-control-your-blood-sugar/[/

Make sure you eat to your meter. I can have a few apple slices and a few cherries, but not a whole serving. It doesn't matter how much chromium is in there, sugar is sugar whether it's natural or refined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->