How to stop breastfeeding?

xJessie91x

Reaction score
Hi ladies,
I'm not entirely sure if I am I the right forum but anyway .. I am going back to work soon and want to stop breastfeeding in time before I go back. I don't WANT to stop breastfeeding but its just the right thing for us to do.. any hints or tips? x

GRADUALLY!!

Unfortnately due to lots of rubbish things I could only breastfeed for 6 weeks and had never even considered formula feeding when pregnant which was naive. After 6 weeks of breastfeeding, I did a further two weeks of combi feeding via a breast pump (struggled so much with the actual boob) and Aptamil formula. By 9 weeks we were on formula only.

I thought that the minute I gave my son formula, all hell would break lose in the tummy/nappy department, he would be ill, upset, etc. I was DREADING it. I got really anxious and upset and felt I was failing him, and you know what, nothing changed. He remained his usual self, nappies didn't change instantly (nor did they get obscenely horrid like I was expecting) it really wasn't that bad for all the worry.

Just be so gradual to be easy on your baby AND yourself.

I had about 3 days of waking up in pain with my breasts but it does go eventually. I pumped milk if things were unbearable. One day we had a daytrip out, I had no oportunity to pump, and that kind of became a cut off day. I tried really hard from then on to just 'get on with it' and not pump anymore, and really quite soon my boobs were back to normal. Wear a decent tight bra. If you think you are getting lumps and bumps express to try and avoid blockages or mastitis. You've done great by the way, well done xx

ETA: also regarding bottles maybe give those closer to nature ones a try, although all babies are different and you might need to try a few teat types and shapes. Mine only coped with the standard neck basic teat shapes, contradictory to what 'should' have happened he couldn't get on with the more naturally shaped ones.

Thank you! I feel like i'm letting him down a bit but i'm proud of how long we have done as I was so close to stopping at 2 weeks and again at 8 weeks. Thank you very much for the advice xx

You should be proud you've done so well! I wanted to take him upto around 3-4 months of bfing too, due to returning to work but various stuff including a tongue tie and it 'just not working out' AT ALL stopped me early :-( As I say, I NEVER even thought about formula feeding all through pregnancy, I now know things don't always work out. I have loved Aptamil personally, so have stuck to that brand. The ready made cartons are also a god send x

My little man was tongue tied too, he had it snipped and that helped a bit. I've used a bottle every now and then, Ive used SMA bottles with teats, ive grabbed them before when off out for the day or something. I think they are such a good idea and make life slightly easier!! x

Hiya,

Definitely do this slowly as suggested.

I stopped feeding her in the day to start with (cut down her feeds slowly to start with) and eventually I just fed her at night. We then started replacing her night feeds with the bottle - the whole process took around 3 weeks. I still had some engorgement but not much and I could manage with them.

I did it for the same reason; going back to work. Also my workplace isn't ideal for pumping and if I'm honest I didn't want the hassle of pumping.

You've done a wonderful job and you should be proud of yourself.

In the long run, I'm now really pleased with how we did with our bfing journey and also slight relief now that oh can put lo down. She sleeps much better now...I'm not saying that's because she's gone from bf to ff but bfing is hard work - much harder than what we give ourselves credit for.

Cold lettuce leaves help for the engorgement btw, maybe just get some breast pads, if you've not already, in case of leakage x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->