How to stop feeding?

bonbon

Mum to Seb born nov09
Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone knows how you are meant to get your milk to 'dry up' as I have made the decision to stop bf after 7bouts of mastitis in 4months. I am fed up now but don't know how you stop!?

Please don't give comments/suggestions about ways that I can continue bf as I have exhausted loads of preventatives and I still ended up with a blocked duct. I'm guted but I'm done : (

I have finally convinced my LO to take a bottle and I have been pumping today but as I have an older child I can't carry it on, there aren't enough hours in my day! But I know I can't just stop cold so what do I do?

I've not stopped myself so not 100% sure but just express offa little every time you feel engorged and Iit'll gradually dry up or cut certain feeds first and do one every 3/4 days so your body adjusts slowly.

HI there, I had so many issues with supply and production that I too stopped just about 3 weeks ago and I feel liberated from it because it became a challenge and not something I enjoyed anymore.... So do not feel bad you gave it a go and it did not work out. What I did was first cut down my pumping. I was pumping 3-4 times a day so I went down to 2-3 for a week, then 1-2, then once a day and one day just stopped. If I got really full and hard I would pump out and ounce of each to get relief but that was it. I put frozen peas on my boobs at night as well. Other than that I am not just about dried up and no longer in pain. I did not take any of the teas or put cabbage on my boobs, I just stopped. Good luck to you!!

I stopped gradually over a few months but I think you can do it quicker with the same idea. Just drop a feed every day or few days depending on how you feel, it sounds like you are very prone to mastitis so may be worth taking it slowly. I would probably give up any night feeds first as I believe that's the time when the body produces the most milk. And in between times I would just hand express if you feel full.

Eta just to add you're not alone I'm feeling quite fed up with breastfeeding now and am considering stopping myself.

I'm currently in the process of cutting feeds. We've made it to 6 months and DD is now on solids so I'm happy to transition to formula. So far I have just about dried up my right side, my left side was always my over-producer. I'm switching one feed from boob to bottle every few days so I'm gradually feeding less, and just on the one side.

When I've got engorged overnight before, not wanting to wake DD up, I'd go to the bathroom and hand express a little off over the sink just to relieve the pressure.

One thing I will say is just be careful, my right side had just about dried up and I ended up with a blocked duct. I fed on that side, after about 3 days of not feeding on that side, which cleared the blockage. But then after not feeding on that side for several days after that, I got another blocked duct. I massaged the area and had a cold cabbage leaf in that cup of my bra. The tenderness is gone! If you're prone to mastitis, you may need to massage any lumps each night, which may mean you take longer to dry up, but at least you should be pain free.

The other thing you could do, not that I'm recommending it, but if you get desperate. Decongestants can dry your milk up. Boots sell an OTC boots own brand decongestant with nothing else in it. No pain relief etc. That will help dry your supply. I hear peppermint oil/peppermint tea is supposed to too but I'm not sure how effective that is for everyone.

Thank you for the replies and for the support re my decision to stop.
I have a blocked duct at the mo so I am having to pump to clear it so once that is done I'll try and do the pumping a little less.
Thanks

Thanks for the thread and tips. I am planning to stop at 12 weeks/three months and am about halfway through right now (6 weeks this week). Looking forward to being pump-free and not having a million and one issues. Just happy to give my baby some breastmilk before quitting.

Just keeping an eye in this thread. My goal is to get to 12 weeks but we're having so many issues I may have to quit sooner :(

Just keeping an eye in this thread. My goal is to get to 12 weeks but we're having so many issues I may have to quit sooner :(

Good luck, but remember that if you have to quit, whatever your reasons, it's not the end of the world! The most important thing is keeping *everyone* happy and healthy! :hugs:

Thanks for the support. I'll be gutted if I have to stop but I guess there are plus points too - getting DH to help more, rediscovering my wardrobe and being allowed more than one glass of wine. I just feel so envious when I see ladies with their babies nursing really peacefully. I've tried so hard.. Still fighting for now!

Thanks for the support. I'll be gutted if I have to stop but I guess there are plus points too - getting DH to help more, rediscovering my wardrobe and being allowed more than one glass of wine. I just feel so envious when I see ladies with their babies nursing really peacefully. I've tried so hard.. Still fighting for now!

I know how you feel! I hate how there's so much propaganda that has photos of a healthy-looking and plump model boob shoved into a happy baby's mouth and the woman is smiling, while looking like she's slept a full night and had time to do her make-up and get to the dentist for a teeth bleaching. Ugh. In fact I'd bet most those women are photoshopped, what a crock!

Indeed, my experience is far from the glamourously images that we r bombarded with during pregnancy!
We are three days in and I am doing every other feed with my boobs and they seem to b catching up with my agenda a bit today with less leakage and painful engorgement, but I did wake up soaked during the night.
LO is happier taking the bottle and is very contented so that's good.
Just have to get my head round it now and try and stop feeling so guilty!

I felt incredibly guilty at first but it's amazing how many midwives, support workers and health visitors also bottle fed when you get talking to them long enough for then to stray from the 'party line'. The way I think of it - every feed of breastmilk that I get into him is a small victory. I'd love to get to 12 weeks but in reality, I'm taking it one feed at a time. As long as my baby has a full tum, I'm happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->