How to take care of self after CSection?

ButterflyX

Reaction score
Hi ladies
I had a c section 15 days ago. Believe it or not, the hospital where I delivered by baby did NOT give me instructions as to what to do/how to take care of myself...etc. if this sounds crazy, I was crazier and I did not ask about what to do and what to expect. The only thing the nurse gave me before leaving was a spray like thing to put on the scar to avoid infections and she also gave me pain killers and asked me to take as required. She also mentioned that she would arrange a follow up appointment with my doctor after a couple weeks of the day of being discharged. I was discharged from the hospital in 30 Oct 2014. However, I was not given instructions as to what to do and what to expect. As long as there was no pain, I was carrying my baby and carrying everything in relation to my baby (his stuff , even if they were heavy) I also was getting up from my laying down position while relying on my abdomen muscles in few instances for as much as the comfort would allow me (which wasn't long), until at some point (very recently) I started to experience pain and increased bleeding. I called the hospital and demanded either to speak to the doctor straight away or arrange an appointment with her very soon. I am going there the day after tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I am worried about the last 9 days. I am worried that I over did something that I am not supposed to do (body movements or over doing something / physical activity wise) which I am not supposed to do during the recovery time which would have a negative impact on my body in the long run. How can I know if things are progressing good in there(internally/beyond the stitches on the outside skin) Can someone ease my mind until my next appointment?

Can you please share the instructions that you were given and you followed during c section recovery period?

Congrats on your new baby!! : )

I can't believe they didn't give you any instructions. I just had my second c-section 3 weeks ago, and was loaded down with discharge instructions and leaflets both times.

First of all, unless you're in severe pain, or bleeding profusely, I'm sure you haven't done any damage. But, beyond that, I was given these instructions/this information after having baby:

•Don't lift anything heavier than the baby for at least two weeks.

•No driving for 2 weeks.

•No tampons or sex until 6 weeks.

•Roll sideways to get out of bed, instead of sitting straight up and using your abs. Same goes for sitting to standing. Follow this until you can pull up using abs without pain.

•Watch the incision site for redness, swelling, heat, pus, and other signs of infection.

•Keep the incision clean and dry. Doc suggested keeping a maxi pad laying on top of it until it was healed.

•Some pulling and burning is normal, just move slowly, and stop when it hurts.

•It is normal for bleeding to pick up/slack off, but if you notice a big increase, you've likely overdone it and need to rest.

•After my 2 week check up (my incision was completely healed) my doctor said light exercise (walking) is fine, but nothing intense until after 6 weeks checkup.

Most of these things are pretty common sense, and I'm sure you've followed them anyway. : ) Also, most of them instruct for the first 2 weeks, and you've made it past that point. : )

I hope you feel better soon, and that the doctor's appointment gives you some peace of mind!

Thank you SO MUCH for your response. I truly appreciate it.

I'm feel better day by day , thanks for asking :)

I still get abdomin pain here and there when I get up for example. I am wondering if that will ever go (the pain) and if my abdom will ever get back to normal. I guess it is still early days.

I am so busy with our boy. Motherhood is new to me so I am adjusting to it as well ;)

It sounds like you're doing great! : )

I think it's normal to have a little pain here and there--I'm 5 weeks out now, and I sat up out of bed last night and had a little pain. It sounds normal! : )

Here the midwife does home visits for 6 weeks so I didn't get any instructions from the hospital either time. But the midwide checked the area every couple of days and was always available for advice.

I juat carried on as per usual anyway with driving and lifting with my son as I had minimal discomfort. My mum was doing crunches in the hospital after having me by emergency section which alwaya horrifies me. Ouch!

With my daughter I was in more pain so was more careful. I found a maternity or period pad very handy as a padded dressing on the wound but you may be too far along to need to worry about that now.

I didn't really get many instructions either other than listen to your body, and no driving for 2 weeks or while on prescription pain killers. The only other one I'll add is no swimming or baths until you stop bleeding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->