how to tell ds he won't be going on the school trip?

DCS

Reaction score
DS is meant to be going on a trip on Tuesday, it was paid for weeks ago and OH has volunteered to go along as a helper.
However, ds has been poorly this weekend. Fever, achy body, sore throat, barely eaten, he went to bed at 4.30pm yesterday, woke up at 6 for about 20 minutes, had some fruit and water, almost threw up and went back to sleep until 6am.
I'm taking him to the drs Tomorrow but I'm quite sure he won't be well enough by Tuesday. Unless he wakes up perfectly well tomorrow and is his usual self, I can't see him going. He is trufgleing to walk up the stairs atm ( or he is putting it on because he knows dady will carry him) and i dont think he would be able to spend a day walking around outside. Plus theres the issue of passing on germs to oyher kids. Me and OH have discussed this briefly and have said, it would be unfair to the teacher and other helpers if oh didn't Go. DS is counting down the days and seems realy Excited. I know he will be so sad, when he finds out daddy is going but he can't.
How do I break it to this little guy? He got realy Upset today because his sister picked him the wrong flavoured yogurt. Oh has had to book the day off work, so we thought about just saying he shaped to a different shift which is why he was gone during the day, but figured his ffriends would tell him when he goes back. Also if he sees pictures he would be upset.
I'm probably over thinking this, but I'm a worrier.
So how do I tell him? He is 5 btw.

Awww, that's sad, bless him. Maybe if he is well enough to go out on the day of the trip, take him into town for ice cream or a special treat that won't take too much out of him, then arrange a family trip somewhere that he can look forward to instead. Maybe you could even go out for the day somewhere in the Easter holiday and he could bring a friend from school along?

I would just tell him because he isn't well he will miss his trip, and that you will do so ent a bit special to make up for it when he is better.

It sounds like flu and I mean a proper flu, not a heavy cold that many people think is flu. I think you are right to think he isn't going to be ok in a couple of days but you never know.

I had flu once in my lifetime and I could not be assed to get off the couch all weekend. It would have been a head knowing I'd missed out but body not wanting to go anywhere.

Telling him, I'd break it as a "I don't think your are going to be well enough to go but we'll see later today". Let him down gently and tell him that you will do something special once he is better.
As for Daddy going without him that will be a hard one to take. I think given the circumstances would ask school if Daddy pulling out would pose issues for ratios. I doubt they would expect a parent to be there without a child. I don't mean to be funny but it might also appear a little odd to other parents.

Thanks all. After 46 calls to the GPS surgery I managed to get him in. He seems much brighter today and is complaining only of a sore throat. But will get him checked anyway.
We told him this morning that he may not be able to go. And he seemed sad but seemed to accept it. Until we mentioned that oh may still have to go. Then he burst into tears. I told him we will judge the situation as the day goes on and I will speak to his teacher, and the dr, see what they think. But have promised him a day out of his choice during the holidays ( within the country) and a smaller day out at the weekend after he if is feeling better.
I feel so sad for him. Unfortunately it's one of those things that we can't control.

So took him to the drs, and the dr said if he doesn't have a fever he is well enough to be in school. Also spoke to the teacher and she agreed . It's just a case of tonsillitis. So look like he gets to go. I'm sure he will be exhausted once he gets home, especially since he has spent the best part of 3 days on the sofa. Thanks for the advice ladies.

Glad he gets to go! I was reading it feeling proper gutted for your LO! I missed out on a trip when I was five because of a vomiting bug and I cried all day long :blush::haha:

Glad he gets to go! I was reading it feeling proper gutted for your LO! I missed out on a trip when I was five because of a vomiting bug and I cried all day long :blush::haha:

Awwwwww. It must be horrible as a kid. I mean I know that there will be lots of other trips but to him it's a huge deal. I went down to school to see his teacher and when I told her that he might not being going she said he would be heartbroken. And he really was sooooooooo sad. I could just see him spending tthe whole day being sad. He pretends he is quite tough but is a real softie. Lucky oh will be there for him, but I think the excitement will keep him going.

Good stuff, he's at least got Daddy with him. Hope he has a fab time.
Daddy going without him would have been awful for him.

Awh that's awesome!!! So glad he got to go. I was getting teary!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->