how to tell family

SeaofSerenity

Reaction score
I will be taking a pregnancy test tonight or tomorrow morning since I have been having symptoms and am a week late on my period, but I am trying to prepare myself for telling my family. I'm 25, married, perhaps not the best off financially right now since we just moved.

My husband's side of the family would be supportive. We know this. I'm adopted and have contact with my birth parents who both happen to live in the new area I moved to. I am close to my birth father and getting to know my birth mother. They would be supportive.

I just worry about my family. My mother is a worrier and had a hard enough time with me moving halfway across the country and gets upset if I don't call at least twice a week. This would be her first grandchild. And my older brother.... I don't even know how I'd tell him. He and my husband do not get along. I mean, if he threatened t punch my husband the next time he saw him after I told him I was engaged, how would he react?

I feel like telling my husband's side of the family first, and maybe by birth father before I tell my mother so at least I could already have support in case it goes badly or something.

Sorry, I just need some advice, especially in the case of my brother. I just feel like all the posts I put on here have been about me worrying over family.

Hey fingers crossed you get the outcome u want!! I have a similar problem in that I get on really well with my OHs family and although they would be a but disappointed ( we are 23 & 24) we have been together for 6 years and they would be supportive and really involved. However my parents and my OH don't get along ATALL so i would be soooooo scared about telling them. So I can see how u feel. At the end of the day I just feel u are an adult in a stable relationship and u can't not do things just to please others. Do wats right for u not them! I agree that u should tell ur husbands side first just to give u the confidence to tell ur side. Good luck with it all xxxxxx

Hey good luck with the test hun.

But when it comes to your family, tell who ever you feel most confident with. Maybe your mum, i'm sure she will be so happy.?
But if you feel like you are more confident with your birth father, maybe go from there.

When i told my family i told my mum first and got my mum to tell my dad... ( i was nervous) But he seemed happy the next time i spoke to him. I won't deny the shock they had, but they grew to like the fact, even more so when i found out i was having a girl, their first grand daughter.

When it came to my sister, i rang her. I knew she would be happy but she get's really teary at everything and i didn't think i could do that in person.

But the next time around i'll tell them all together. :)

When you next see your mum and brother, maybe sit them down and explain your happily married and your expecting. They should be just glad your happy. I'm sure your brother will be happy once he get's use to the idea... Maybe even bring your husband and him closer together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->