How to tell if baby is hungry?

Numero_uno

Reaction score
Might be a bit of a silly question but how can you tell he is hungry? I've just switched from bf and I used to jus out him on my breast and he's suck and sometimes I'm pretty sure this was to use me like a dummy! Are there any signs to look out for so I can go and start his bottle?

Might be a bit of a silly question but how can you tell he is hungry? I've just switched from bf and I used to jus out him on my breast and he's suck and sometimes I'm pretty sure this was to use me like a dummy! Are there any signs to look out for so I can go and start his bottle?

Of course every baby is different but one of the first signs Sophie was hungry is that she started to eat her hands and would root side to side if anything went near her cheeks.

My little one starts to wriggle about more and get fussy, shakes her head from side to side, shoves her fists in her mouth and goes towards whatever touches her cheek.

Dd never showed signs. She was hungry often, it's like she knew it was going to come. But she wasa NICU baby an that's not uncommon apparently.

Ds does what the other pps say. He also screams blue murder. But he screams blue murder a lot!

Sucking on their hands is a big one. Rooting and moving towards something that touches their cheeks can be, but my lo also does this when she's overtired (took a while to figure that out LOL) because sometimes they're just looking to suckle for comfort. If you think he was nursing for comfort a lot then he's probably going to confuse you for a bit with this.

He's almost 2 months old so he should be eating every 3-4 hours. I'd just go by that at first until you learn his true hunger cues vs. just wanting a pacifier.

After a week of ff I think I'm slowly working out what he wants, he tends to go about 3 hours during the day or sometimes a bit less less but drags the bottle out over about an hour. I've worked out how to burp him properly now too as he didn't get much wind when I was bf

My LO 'searches' he's sucks his hands or he has a dummy in he sucks that harder, he sounds like Maggie Simpson lol. If you are holding him he also turns his head towards you too.

We've fell straight into a 3-4 hour routine though so know when he is 'due' a feed and he's taking 3.5 to 4 oz each time. Chuffed with our little guzzler at only 11 days old. he sometimes cluster feeds to though so will have a 4 oz bottle but then show hunger signs an hour later but may only take 1oz.

Second one is definitely easier as you have all the stresses with the first x

Ps, my DS also is winded half way through bottle otherwise never finish it. He falls asleep, I did the Baby Whisperers EASY routine with DS1 and have fell into the same pattern again which is great. I don't want DS2 falling asleep on the bottle as it will become habit so he had bottle, winded, more bottle then nappy change etc. it's good routine

Ps, my DS also is winded half way through bottle otherwise never finish it. He falls asleep, I did the Baby Whisperers EASY routine with DS1 and have fell into the same pattern again which is great. I don't want DS2 falling asleep on the bottle as it will become habit so he had bottle, winded, more bottle then nappy change etc. it's good routine

I never thought of changing nappy after bottle, I always do it before but might have to try it!

My LO sucks her hands , grunts and moves her head from side to side.

I also wind her every ounce or so as otherwise she will not finish the bottle and get really fussy.

I normally change her nappy before a feed but she has lately got into the habit of doing a number 2 just after her bottle so I am wasting nappys....so I may start changing her after her feed (except her midnight feeds).

Yes! "Rooting" is a big one - put baby up to your shoulder and if they bang their head back and forth they are probably hungry. Also they will try to throw themselves down to the breast. And you can touch their cheek if they move their head to that side and try to suck they are most likely hungry. Sucking on hands/fingers is also a sign but some babies just like to suck for comfort so I wouldn't go with just that alone.

My LO roots his head from side to side,
fusses a lot!

and if you read up on baby language, it is so good. Apparently there reflex's make different sounds when there something they need.

- listen for a "Meh" sound with his cry when hes hungry
- a "owh" sound when hes tired
- a "Heh" sound when uncomfortable
- A "Eh" sound for wind
- a "eaire" sound for trapped wind (sounds like air)

Hope i helped x

hey hun my little one used to suck his hand... or play with his tongue iin his mouth (looked like he was sucking something but there was nothing in there).. that was my cue's for him. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->