how to wean my 18 month old?

sewing_mama

Reaction score
My beautiful daughter is now.18 months old, we've had a wonderful bf relationship but i'm now feeling that it's time to wean. I feed her to sleep, we co-sleep, and she naps in my arms or in an ergo carrier while feeding during the day. It has worked well for us but I now want to make a change in the most gentle way possible. I have no idea how to drop the nap and bedtime feeds as she is so reliant on them to get to sleep. I only feed her at nap time and bedtime for the most part. She won't sleep in a cot so I considered getting a new bed for her room but maybe that would be too much change at once. Or would a cup of warm milk help? Help please!

I'm following this. My son is almost 17 months old and does not seem to have any plans if weaning. We also co-sleep.

I have a friend who stopped nighttime feeding by explaining to her daughter that her breasts were going to sleep too. She even had a small teddy bear she put in her bra to show her daughter that the breasts were sleeping. :haha:

I don't have any experience with weaning yet, but I think explaining it to the child in words that he/she can understand is a good way to go.

In my case, I have cut the length of the breastfeeding session by warning my daughter every time "we're almost done... I'm counting to five" and then at five I latch her off. She doesn't cry at all when I do that. But if I latch her off by surprise she will cry.
So maybe that would be a way to gradually reduce the length of the feeds?

Following because my day will come too. Not looking forward to it. :/

I am in the same boat. I feel ready to wean my 18 month old but have no idea how. Initially I just planned to night wean, but with how terribly our attempts at that have been, i kind of just want to wean completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->