How to wean to formula?

MommyxThree

Mom to a DD and 2 DS!
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me? I'm going to be slowing down the pumping very shortly for my DS He is 11 weeks old and I've been exclusively pumping since day 4 or 5 knowing I'd be going back to work shortly. I currently have my freezer full of milk for him for future use. I really need to stop pumping bc this is our only freezer and there's literally no room for any food for us now. I don't have the room for another freezer and I don't have any family close by that has the room either. While I'm sad I'll be stopping, I'm so glad I have probably two months worth frozen already.

My question is this (finally): Do you think it is better to keep DS on breastmilk only until it runs out and then put him only on formula, or should I do half milk half formula now so the stash lasts longer? I'm fine with either and so is my DH, we just want to do what would be the best health-wise for DS.

Any input is really appreciated!!

Thank you!!

I think the longer on solely breastmilk the better, to keep his "virgin gut", but I am not 100% sure.

I think you should stay entirely on breastmilk until you run out. Will you be nursing at night still? You can get your supply down to just night/morning feeds and then your freezer stash will last longer.

There is often a little transition period when you switch their food (whether that is switching from breastmilk to formula or switching brands of formula). So I figure keeping him on only breastmilk for now is best.

Good job on exclusively pumping for so long! Its exhausting!

Not sure if you know this already, but don't stop pumping 'cold turkey'. Gradually cut back.
Is there a reason you can't pump when you go back to work? I know in my state there are laws requiring employers to provide a space and reasonable breaks for pumping... I actually find it really nice to get a little break-time :)

No pressure, if you're done, you're done :) Just hate for someone to give up when they don't want to because they think they have to.

Thanks for the replies!! I really do appreciate it so much!

I kind of feel like I have to mainly b/c of the lack of freezer space we have. Granted we don't NEED a freezer, we can do all fresh food, but with three kids, both DH and I work full-time AND he runs his own business in addition to a full time job, frozen veggies and such definitely help us out.

I have heard quitting cold turkey can be horrible!! I've been pumping only a few times a day and not letting my breasts empty the last two days. Do you think I'd be able to pump only like 3 times a day til my breasts are empty and still have a good amount? I've been producing about 50oz a day and LO only takes about 20-24oz a day.

I think you can get down to 3 times a day with that kind of supply to start with!
If you can get your supply down to enough where you don't need much of a freezer stash to keep him on breastmilk when you are back at work, you can donate the rest of your frozen stash to make room! :)
We had the space for another freezer in our garage so we did that, and I filled it. I had to give it all away because I almost never have to dip into my frozen stash, lol. It was going to go bad anyways and it went to a really really good cause locally (a baby who couldn't tolerate any formula).

I agree with the others why not just reduce your supply to just his needs or only pump once in the morning once in the evening so that he gets half frozen half fresh that way your stash lasts twice as long .

Thanks for all of the replies!!

For some reason I was just thinking of an all or nothing with the supply!!! Dummy me! I'll start pumping down to 3 times a day and we'll see how things go from there. In all honestly I'd love to be able to have enough to keep him on breastmilk until he's 6 months...even if that means he's only on frozen for a while. I figure it's definitely better than formula no matter how he gets it. My mom is going to be watching DS two days a week. I'm thinking the frozen milk I give her each week might free up enough space to add some more and some regular food for us?

yep! its amazing how fast a supply can get used up. It looks like so much in your freezer then when you start using it... POOF

That's one thing I'm afraid of - I think I calculated correct the amount I have frozen and then realize oh sh!t I added wrong!!!

Your pics are so cute!! What a good sized baby you had!!

lol, yup, he slowed down in weight gain thankfully and is about 19lbs now :) he was 15lbs at like 11 weeks old though, lol.
I just had to average how much I had frozen, then I kept count of my bags based on how many boxes of lasinoh I'd bought/used :)

I actually did an inventory a couple weeks ago to get an idea of how much I had. I hardly use it since I pump fresh. I'm coming right up against the use-by date of some of it. I'm donating recent milk but my freezer milk I can't guarantee that I didn't take ibuprofen or something that's not allowed by the bank. I think I'm probably going to end up using it when LO turns a year and I stop pumping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->