How "trendy" are your names?

spicyorange

Reaction score
So I just found out my fav girls name (Jessica) and boys name (Alexander) are both 7th most popular names of 2013 for girl and boy (in Scotland). So I was wondering, how do you feel about names you like being popular, does that encourage you or put you off?

Umm.. I'm an in-betweener. I like when baby names are less common & original, but not too crazy.

I picked Madilyn for my girl's name. It's common..ish.. but still not something you hear everyday.

Although, our boys names we picked John & James, :haha: but they're just family names. Actually, now-a-days in the US you don't hear those names too often. They're mostly Aiden, Jayden, Hayden type names.

I am somewhere in between too.

There are a few names that I was set on, and then they became #1 on some lists. I also knew several people that ended up using those names, so I kind of decided against them.

I tend to like classic names that were popular at one point, but not necessarily right now. I don't want to use names that are so different that they are over the top.

Like Mamabyrd said, the 'unique' names are what are trending in the US...but then everyone starts using them.

Jessica and Alexander are good names I think! It's inevitable for some names to be on those lists, but I don't think they are 'too' popular. :)

I do like the trendy names, but I also do occasionally fall for less common ones, but until the time comes, I don't know what I'll name my baby really! :)

My favourites from the last ten years or so (Isabella, Charlotte, Scarlett, Grace, etc) have all trended massively so now I've gone off them. But it is interesting to see the cultural aspect to it - lots of other women must have had them as favourites at the same time as well! :haha:

I am put off by trendy names. However, I seem to have a way of picking them. When I named my son (Aiden), I had never heard that name before. Turns out that it became a very popular name around that time. I named my daughter Madalynn and thought it was a relatively uncommon name. Since then, I've run into a ton of of little Madalynns (although spell a bunch of different ways). :dohh: My youngest is named Seraphina, so her name isn't extremely popular (yet).

As for future kids, the names I like are a mix of trendy and unique names. But I have a very long list, so we'll see what actually makes the short list when the time comes. :)

We've chosen traditional names, family names such as my Grandads first name and my Grandads Mums name. But traditional old names are quite popular in the UK at the moment.

I am put off by trendy names honestly. We were going for unique but not "kreeatyv". My husbands name is Michael and he hated his name being so common. My name is quite uncommon but not unheard of (Justine) And as a kid I didnt like never finding my name on things like keychains or brushes or those silly kid things.
So we picked out Thorrin for a boys name and Astrid for a girl. Nobody has heard of Thorrin before but it is a Scandinavian name and the only one we could agree on that goes with my husbands common Hispanic last name (he is half Puerto Rican half Norwegian).
I'm thinking Astrid may rise in popularity before I get to use it but well see.

The only draw back is when people ask his name sometimes. "Thorrin. " " what?" "Thorrin" "thorn?" "No th-orrrrrr-in" "torin?" "Ya sure that's fine too. " lol!

I did spell it with the th so he can decide later if he likes it Thorrin or Torrin better.

I am not influenced by how popular a name is. OH and I like traditional names. My son's name is Thomas Emlyn. Thomas was ranked number 6th most popular in England and Wales in 2012. Emlyn was ranked 1962nd most popular in 2012 (it's a very old Welsh name).

I really like Atreyu after the boy from Neverending Story,Delilah I'm not sure how popular it is,Emma which is pretty popular I think, Mathis I hardly ever hear this name and I really like Phoenix.

I love traditional names but they're increasingly popular at the moment. I like the name Lily for a girl, it's my Nan's nickname, but its too popular at the moment for my liking. DD is named Violet which is still quite rare at the moment here. Our favourite boys name is Oliver, I think that one will always be popular though.

I'm not fussed about whether names are too popular or not. Although OH is portuguese but I am british and we live in the UK so we are trying to go for names with a portuguese twist but can be English-ified if LO wanted to, for example our top choice for a girl is Lilia (nickname Lily), which is a pretty popular name but fits our needs. Having said that though my OH has his heart set on Santiago for a boy!

I'm in between on names. I like names that arnt hugely common but not anything from the magical land of 'madeupistan' lol

My son is called Logan. I've yet to come across another one face to face - I know there's a few on here mind so I've no idea on it's popularity really!

We had DS named picked out 8 years before we had him, and although its not in the "top names" Drake is becoming more popular.

The next one we are going for an uncommon (in the U.S.) name for the girl : Freya Evangeline and a more common name (everywhere) for the boy: Elijah Delano (Delano my dads middle) SO although we really tend to stay away from traditional, we fell for Elijah.

DH wanted Vladimir, which is higly uncommon in the U.S., but I thought it was too strong of a name and we needed to tone it down a little.

^logan is a very very popular name here in the USA at the moment. I've known quite a few people that have named their baby boys Logan. Or loghan

That makes sense as most of the Logan's I know are in the USA. I'm in the Uk and not come across another face to face yet. Would be interested to know how popular it is here actually!

That makes sense as most of the Logan's I know are in the USA. I'm in the Uk and not come across another face to face yet. Would be interested to know how popular it is here actually!

Logan ranked 29th in Wales and England last year

https://names.darkgreener.com/#logan

Ahh thanks Hun :) it's quite popular then eh! I guess I'll see that properly when he is school age!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->