how will i know when to move onto stage 2?

brightstar08

Mummy of 2
Reaction score
im just wondering when will i know to move up a stage, i know the jars say from 7+ months but i tried stage 2 jar yesterday and he was gagging and being sick :( also when did u start giving finger food? thanks x

i tried it with logan just before 7 months as i thought he was ready, and he had tried all the stage 2's twice and was finishing almost a jar of 1st stage, he was gagging at first so i didnt force him i just went with him slowly and by the next day wen i tried him again after a few mouthfuls he was fine, and now a cuple weeks on eats alf a jar for dinner and half a differnet jar for tea, i would say it all depends on the baby, not all children are ready wen the jars say so, some earlier some later, go by ur child if he really doesnt seem to be taking to it or ur not happy leave it a little bit then try again, he will get use to it eventually, the lumps are new for him thats all, as for finger foods ive only just started , he has tried quarter of a rusk , cow and gates berry bears and a small bit of plain toast so far. he like the first two, wernt 2 keen on the toast lol. hope all works out hun xxx

we're on lumpier foods now. My hv said after 4 weeks of weaning you should be doing it regardless of age (within reason) because they get lazy and just swallow purees where they need to work harder to chew lumps. First time i gave my daughter lumpier food she was like that choking slightly (not bad enough to hit her back or anything) but after 2 days or so she was fine, just satrted requiring a bit of a drink in the middle of the meal.

katie's always had hers sort of lumpy, i never really fully pureed things, just made sure they were well mushed up!!

now she's really starting with lumps, i started with finger food this week aswell. tried her with a bit of melon and today she's had a floret of cauliflower, which she had a good chew on!!

if he does gag, dont worry, babies gag reflex is further down the tongue, so they'll gag before an older person would xx
if

Hannah's had finger foods since 6 months. I tried Stage 2s after we'd finished up all the stage 1s. It is possible that the gagging is just him adjusting to the new textures (quite normal for babies!). I'd give it another try

thanks guys, will try him again early next week see how he gets on. i just hate to see him choking :( makes me feel bad. but like you said he needs to learn :) sooner rather than later lol x

have you tried giving him a piece of toast with a little butter or fruit puree spread on it to play with? that's how we started with Hannah and at first she just sucked on it but she quickly got the hang of it

does he chew on other things? like if you stick your finger in there does he chew it? i've got a really chewy baby, that might be why she's taken to lumpy food easily! if you give him something to chew like a teether or something tht might help maybe??xx

I give Tabitha finger food already, she has toast and things and rusks obv, bannana and carrot sticks.

Im at the exact same stage too!

My ickle un is 7months and each time i attempt on lumpier foods, she gags loadss and she gets afraid of the lumps and keeps them hanging around in her mouth and in the end i scoop them out........

i think the key is to keep trying like everything else. Like everyone says they will get used it soon enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->