hpv vaccine for girls?

Abby will have the jab. I don't see what the problem is. It can protect her from a potentially deadly disease so I can't see it's any different from giving her the MMR.

I've heard the arguments about it promoting promiscuity but having the jab isnt going to encourage her to have multiple sexual partners any more than going on the pill at 14 to alleviate my heavy periods encouraged me to have sex. I still waited til I was much older.

Although I don't have a daughter, I personally would never give my son the shot :flower:

edit: found this study interesting https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23016780

And I found this study interesting.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23033276

To be honest, it's not surprising that a vaccine which was introduced in the UK in 2008, and 2007 in Canada (where CMarie's study came from) "hadn't prevented a single case of cervical cancer" according the study in her link in 2005. Given most cases happen beyond the age of 35, it will be quite some time until it starts to bring rates down.

But, the fact is, HPV is a nasty little blighter and the vaccine has been given to millions of young women with no adverse side effects. If it can potentially protect her, she's going to have it. And even if it turns out not to be massively effective (or totally ineffective), it does no harm to have it.

I never expect to be in a car crash, but I still wear my seat belt. People have still been killed in crashes wearing seatbelts and in a very rare number, wearing it has led to their death as they were unable to escape from their vehicle in time. It's all about balancing the risk.

can other people above the age bracket ask for it, if they test neg for HPV?

And I found this study interesting.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23033276

To be honest, it's not surprising that a vaccine which was introduced in the UK in 2008, and 2007 in Canada (where CMarie's study came from) "hadn't prevented a single case of cervical cancer" according the study in her link in 2005. Given most cases happen beyond the age of 35, it will be quite some time until it starts to bring rates down.

But, the fact is, HPV is a nasty little blighter and the vaccine has been given to millions of young women with no adverse side effects. If it can potentially protect her, she's going to have it. And even if it turns out not to be massively effective (or totally ineffective), it does no harm to have it.

I never expect to be in a car crash, but I still wear my seat belt. People have still been killed in crashes wearing seatbelts and in a very rare number, wearing it has led to their death as they were unable to escape from their vehicle in time. It's all about balancing the risk.

I definitely see your point and great link! Personally, I just don't feel like there's enough information on it...long term studies of safety and effectiveness...to make it something worth getting for my son or any daughter I have :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->