HSG - Looking for support/encouragement

lem7755

Reaction score
Hi All -

I am on my first IUI cycle and scheduled to have my HSG this Thursday. My anxiety about the whole thing is out of control. I had a terrible saline sono experience (performed by my OBGYN) and I'm just terrified. My RE is performing the HSG, and has prescribed me valium and hydrocodone. She said the whole thing should last under a minute, but I am still scared out of my mind. Has anyone had a positive experience to share? I can deal with cramps, it's the white-hot, almost-pass-out pain that I'm scared of. I've read plenty of horror stories, so none of those please!

I had one at the start of this year and honestly it didn't hurt! It was slightly uncomfortable at points but no pain or cramps for me at all. I also got pregnant after having the "clear out" but I think that could have just been luck!

I read all the horror stories before too but I found it easier than a smear test.

Thank you - every positive story helps! I'm afraid that if the saline test hurt, the HSG is going to be similar for me. So many people say it's been the worst pain of their lives. It's hard to knowingly subject yourself to that!

I had one in June and honestly didn't feel a thing! My dr had me take ibuprofen ahead of time and it was a breeze. Good luck!

Just wanted to say good luck. Hope all goes well :flower:

Hi there, I had one a couple years ago and I was also very nervous about it. It actually went pretty well for me, I felt some pressure but nothing like the pain I was expecting. It was over very quickly and I was happy to have it done with!! Good luck!!

I had one in 2009 that was not bad at all , but the one I had 2 months ago was a different story first she couldn't find a good sized speculum then she had troubles inserting the catheter into my curved and tilted cervix, then once it was in dye filled the uterus but was not flowing out the tubes at first so she inserted another 20cc of dye and had me roll on each side she managed to flush open my right tube then had me roll on my stomach and inserted more dye and there was dye spill everywhere so were not sure if my left side finally spilled or if it was all from the right side, but my doctor said one open tube is all you need. I was really sore that night and the following day, after 3 days I felt back to normal. I highly recommend taking motrin before your appointment and bring a pad and wipes with you because the dye is sticky and runs all down the legs once you stand up. Good luck with yours!.

I had my first one last week and was nervous, too. I didn't take any pain medications and was only crampy as the catheter was being placed, and it was more annoying than painful and only lasted about an hour or so afterwards. I was able to get home, nap, and go to work that night without a problem. The dye didn't hurt, I didn't even know they were flushing it. However, my tubes weren't blocked, so I can see how maybe unblocking them could be painful. Good luck at your appt!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->