HSG scheduled...scared!

MKAC2005

Reaction score
I just scheduled my HSG for 9/2 and i'm pretty scared and nervous. It probably doesn't help that I googled other people's experiences. Does anyone have any firsthand experiences to share?

I took advil about two hours before. Before mine, I read a bunch of stuff saying "It's like a menstrual cramp". Lies! It felt like my uterus was trying to turn inside out! It hurts but it doesn't last long. It's not "kill me now" pain but it's not something you'd be happy about doing over again. They say you're more fertile for another 3 months afterwards.
Bring a pad just in case they don't give you one because the dye will leak back out. I was fine driving home and everything. Maybe some very mild cramping for an hour or so after. Very mild.
It wasn't fun but it's necessary.

Hey! My HSG was last week and I didn't feel a thing! I took two regular strength Aleve an hour before because I freaked myself out by reading all the horror stories and I didn't feel a single cramp.
I'll go through my experience if the procedure for you. I laid down on the table just like getting a pap. They showed me all the materials and instruments they were going to use. So they first cleaned the outside of my vagina with a cold antiseptic solution. They inserted the speculum just like for a pap. Cleaned my cervix with the same solution. They then inserted the catheter and inflated a little balloon to hold it in place. This did not hurt me at all. Then they injected the dye. He said I could feel cramping but I didn't...it felt like a slight push on my belly nothing more. They then placed the xray over my belly and took their pictures. Asked me to shift over to my right side and took another picture. Then they took everything out and I was done! It took no more than 10 minutes (closer to five). When I stood up a bit of dye leaked out but that was it. They gave me a pad to wear home in case of spotting but I had nothing.
I didn't have any cramping or spotting afterwards either.
I know that every body is different but I wanted you to have a positive story to read! I hope I put your mind at ease. My tubes were open and uterine cavity normal so maybe that's why it didn't hurt who knows.
Please don't worry and good luck!! It'll be over before you know it :)

Mine wasn't too bad either! I took 800mg of ibuprofen beforehand and it felt like (TMI) stomach cramping when you have diarhea, the cold sweat and all and then it was over. Good luck and I heard that for a lot of people, it makes it easier to get pregnant in the next cycle or two after. :)

I had one few years back and I didn't take anything before or after but I do suffer from pcos so I am used to painful cramps definitely take a pad though x

I had mine this week. I took antibiotics for two days prior to it, and took 400 mg advil an hour before.
Mine hurt like a b***h. He said my cervix was bouncing around when he tried to put the catheter in so he had to use the tenaculum to clamp it in place. Holy hell that gave me some shooting pain. He was really quick with the dye and the xray. For me it was the type of pain that gave me a hot flush up the back of the neck and a flash of nausea. I breathed in and out deeply and just reminded myself that it was less then 5 mins total and it would be over soon.
They obviously saw my discomfort but once all of the instruments were remove we were joking around.
I will say that I bled for the rest of the day, and had a couple large clots pass. I suspect it was because of the tenaculum. I called my clinic and they said to monitor the amount and if I bled through a pad within an hour then it was too much. Mine wasn't that much thankfully, but I was just shocked because I wasn't expecting it at all.
Sorry I don't want to scare you, I wanted to be honest! It sucked, it hurt, but it is over FAST! Breath through it! The doctor told me right away that my tubes were clear and showed me the images after the procedure was done.
Good luck!

Thanks for the responses ladies. Still seems like a good mix of pain and not so bad lol

Yeah, definitely not something I want to repeat. Thankfully, the pain didn't last long. It only seemed like it would go on forever. :coffee:

I had my HSG this month in the 18th. Didn't take any meds. Had mild cramping when the inserted dye and discomfort with the tube but other than that not really that bad. I was so nervous before hardly could breathe and even started to tear up but my nurse was amazing!! She rubbed me held my hand and talked me through each step. Doc was great too he showed me X-rays and gave me the great news that my tubes were clear. I think my nerves is what really had me not the pain. And it was over so fast!! Totally worth it

I had my HSG this morning. I think the anxiety leading up to the test was worse than the test! I had mild cramping upon insertion of the cath but nothing else or since then!

the radiologist who did it said it looked good and dye was spilling out at the end of the tubes. He said it looks normal but that wasn't the final word until he blew up the images and looked at them closer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->