Hubby and I just can't agree :/

SJDsMommy

1 prince and 1 princess<3
Reaction score
I don't really know if this is more appropriate here or in the baby name section so I hope no one minds..

Anyway hubby and I agreed early on about baby names.. Jett for a boy (it was his choice and what we most likely would have named our daughter had she been a boy) with Grayson as a middle name (I'm not totally in love with the name Jett Grayson but at least it sounds decent to me).

And for a girl - Cora. We agreed instantly on this name but the problem here is that he wants to Spell it Korra (which I HATE!) His sisters name is Kara (pronounced Car - uh) He thinks Cora looks like Kara misspelled, I thought the exact same of Korra.. and not only that but Korra is the name/spelling of that nickelodeon cartoon "The legend of Korra" which is that avatar sequel. He loves that show and I know thats where he came up with the spelling.. I don't want to name our daughter after a cartoon!

We are having more of an issue agreeing on a middle name but this has ALWAYS been our problem! We seem to agree ok on first names but never on middle =/ I had a list of about 10 and he shot them all down. I finally came up with Cora Lilly and he said ok to that one but after a while I decided it sounded too much the the flower calla lily and asked him what he thought about Cora Brooklyn instead.. then he told me that he doesn't even like either of those middle names! :dohh::growlmad: So back to square one..

Last night we again debated over the spelling of Cora/Korra I even thought of Kora as a compromise but I just don't like the K (and that one definitely looks too much like Kara haha). He told me that if we go with his spelling, I can give the baby any middle name I want..

Soo in the event our baby is a girl - I am stuck either giving our daughter a spelling that I don't like and having everyone misspell her name all her life just to go with a middle name I like - or being stuck in a middle name debate for who knows how long :dohh:.

What should I do? I've nearly exhausted all the names that I like and that flow well with our last name =/

I like Cora and I got the pronunciation before I even read Korra. Honestly DH knows that if I want a certain spelling there is no talking me out of it. I told him as long as he likes the name who cares how it is spelt. (though we haven't had any names that really are spelt too different).

At least it's better than Le-a (Lay-dash-a). I say try not to worry about it until after you know the gender of the baby and then go from there. I wish I could tell you more though :(

I've tried to tell myself the same about not worrying too much about spelling until we know the gender for sure but I'm just too much of a planner to leave it alone haha! We find out next month..

XD I hear ya with the planning. For us we have our boys name from last time Leon Robert (Robert is my dad's middle name) and so far for girl Alison Rose but DH doesn't quite like Rose but I said tough shit X'D I told him our children get his last name they should have a middle name from my side (wish we would have done that with Claire but just chose a name we liked for both first and middle) Claire Samantha. So with our second and last child I would love for that child to have some connection to my family names. Especially since my maiden name it is going to fade out after this generation unless my brother actually gets married but...well we'll leave that story for another time.

For me I just know I'm too stubborn and DH would rather just agree with me when it comes to something that I'm dead set on lol. If he honestly hated the name though I would have dropped it but he doesn't hate it just has to grow on him he said.

Maybe start putting the name Cora on everything so DH sees it all the time? That way maybe he'll start getting use to it?

I've tried to tell myself the same about not worrying too much about spelling until we know the gender for sure but I'm just too much of a planner to leave it alone haha! We find out next month..

I hear this! We had Lincoln James picked out before we started TTC and then OH changed his mind a few weeks ago after months of me referring to my bump as 'Lincoln' and telling both sides of our family the name we'd picked. After he shot Lincoln James down, we agreed on Theo Oliver, and then his best friend announced that they were naming their son Theo. Our baby now doesn't have a name and we can't agree on anything. I'm due to give birth in just over 3 months (I think he'll arrive early) and it is driving me crazy. I'm the type of person that likes to make plans of plans.

I'd love to be able to tell you "it makes sense to wait until he/she is born" but we both know that isn't likely haha xx

Haha butterfly I love the name Claire for a middle name - Cora Claire.. but similarly to Kirsty, I won't use it because my hubby's best friend's daughter is named Clair.

Why do men have to be so difficult! haha.

I loved names like Brielle, Shaylee, Triss, Capri.. I'm not too fond of names like Lynn or grace.. I like newer names for the most part and he likes names from previous generations for the most part... I asked him to give me suggestions but he hasn't even tried =/

Did you tell him his spelling is from a cartoon? Maybe that will dissaude him (hopefully it won't encourage him!)

I wouldn't give up on the first name the way you like it. I think the middle name ends up getting lost in the shuffle - I love my daughter's middle name but unless she starts going by two names hardly anyone will ever know about. Think about it, how many people know your middle name? So his offer of giving any middle name you want is kind of hollow in the end. But maybe you can flip it around and give him the middle name he wants instead! Knowing that it will never be used :haha:

Hmmm why does it bother him so much how his daughters name is spelt? It's more of a women's thing to be picky about ?? Also I do not think neither names look like kara misspelt.. Oh and I love the name Jet for a girl!! :)

I love Cora, but korra? No... just no. I had to fight with my phone to not auto correct it to Korea

I'm not a fan of the name Cora (I probably watch too much Eastenders) but Korra just doesn't look right!

I like Cora. Korra just looks wrong. I'm familiar with the cartoon, as DH is watching the Avatar one right now...if you google "Korra", ALL that comes up is the cartoon. That would be a no-go for me!

ETA My first thought with Cora is actually Downton Abbey. Not a bad association to me...

Did you tell him his spelling is from a cartoon? Maybe that will dissaude him (hopefully it won't encourage him!)

I wouldn't give up on the first name the way you like it. I think the middle name ends up getting lost in the shuffle - I love my daughter's middle name but unless she starts going by two names hardly anyone will ever know about. Think about it, how many people know your middle name? So his offer of giving any middle name you want is kind of hollow in the end. But maybe you can flip it around and give him the middle name he wants instead! Knowing that it will never be used :haha:

He knows its from a cartoon.. that's WHY he wants to spell it that way =/ Middle names are kind of big in my family but I do agree his "offer" does kind of seem hollow. =/

Fight this one until the bitter end! Lol. Cora is a pretty name, but spelling it Korra just cheapens it and actually makes it seem ridiculous. Or just hope for a boy :p

Fight this one until the bitter end! Lol. Cora is a pretty name, but spelling it Korra just cheapens it and actually makes it seem ridiculous. Or just hope for a boy :p

I agree it does take away from the name! but I am definitely hoping for a girl (I like Cora better than Jett anyway!) but I really want my daughter to have a sister :) her and the new baby will be just under 2 1/2 years apart so still somewhat close in age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->