Hubby is hinting at formula

Lizzybee

Mom to 1, StepMum to 1
Reaction score
I go on a hen do in 5 weeks and I am expressing and freezing. Doing quite well too, or so I thought. Hubby has just told me his friend (female) has suggested a particular formula that is good as a supplement while I'm away. I'm only going for one night. Not sure how I feel about this. I'd like to think he's being prepared for a backup but I'm worried this is the slippery slope to the end of ebf. :cry: what should I do?

Use your milk. There is no formula even close to breast milk. And why would you spend money on formula when you already have breast milk saved. Maybe he sees how hard you are working to pump enough milk for your trip and is trying to be helpful without realizing that he isn't...

I want him to use the stored milk but how do I tell him not to use formula without causing an argument about me going away?

If you can pump there is no need for formula. It would be different if you couldn't pump for whatever reason.

As for the formula tell him how you feel, and don't buy any.

I don't see the point in your DH giving your baby formula. If you have expressed milk there for baby to take then it's pointless spending the money on formula which will only be used for one night. Stick to your guns!

Explain to your hubby how to make bottles with the expressed milk. Show him where you've been storing the milk and how to thaw it. Explain to him how the stored milk is more beneficial than formula - antibodies, etc. The more he knows, the better off he could be.

Stick to your guns!

Good luck!

Explain to him how to make bottles with the expressed milk. Show him where you've been storing the milk and how to thaw it. Explain to him how the stored milk is more beneficial than formula - antibodies, etc. The more he knows, the better off he could be.

!

He already knows all this. He does loads of research about Anything to do with lo. He works in a hospital and he knows the benefit s of Breast milk. But he said yesterday his friend had told him a particular formula would be a great supplement while I'm away. She too had been a b/f mum.
I met a lady who had no choice but to use formula as well as breast milk (don't want comments on this) and she said her baby began to refuse her milk and preferred formula. I don't want this to happen. But if I tell hubby this he will counteract it with his friend not having a problem.

Incidently his friend is a nurse and the lady I spoke about is a breast feeding advisor.

I don't see why he should need to use formula if you have enough stored? I just don't see what the point would be... should be easy enough to defrost/thaw a bag in the fridge. Leave 1-2 in there there to thaw when you leave and tell him to thaw a third bag when the first is getting used... simple enough.

As for formula, we occasionally use a little bit - had to combi feed the first few weeks but don't now - but only to mix in this stupid Vitamin D + flouride pill the doctor wants her to take. Dang thing doesn't dissolve very well in breast milk so we do the equivalent of ~2 tablespoons of warm formula with the pill and then the rest if breast milk (either bottle or me). She still prefers the breast milk over the formula... honestly I wouldn't worry too much about that, especially if it's just one day.

Maybe look up the effects of formula on the digestive system, for optimal benefits from BF it is best to EBF for 6 months even 1 bottle of formula can interrupt that obviously if formula is really needed it's not the end of the world, but if you are able to achieve EBF with your expressed milk seems silly to introduce formula just because, and as you say it could be a slippery slope, he sounds like he does his research so if he understands even one night missing BM can have a negative affect maybe he wouldn't consider it. I personally would just tell my husband I would castrate him, but hopefully the former would work for you lol.

Oh and ALL whey based formula is EXACTLY the same, no matter what the brand, so don't buy into the "best brand" debate, it's all the same basic ingredients.

Just tell him no. I don't understand why it is such an issue. Even if he does end up giving LO one bottle it shouldn't interfere with breastfeeding, no need to panic.

Hmmm...why would he use formula if there is milk already? I would try to get to the bottom of it.

If he already knows the benefits then I don't see how he could argue especially for one night. And you already have milk saved. :shrug:

But if I tell hubby this he will counteract it with his friend not having a problem.
About this I think you should just tell him your preference and he may just be ok with it and it not be an issue. If he really does argue I would remind him that you're your child's mom not his friend at work.

, and as you say it could be a slippery slope, he sounds like he does his research so if he understands even one night missing BM can have a negative affect maybe he wouldn't consider it. I personally would just tell my husband I would castrate him, but hopefully the former would work for you lol.

I love your approach! I'll go with this one if I need to!

Thanks babymaybe917. I'm sure his friend is just trying to be helpful but it really upset me. I'm just going to keep storing so there is plenty and he won't run out. That way he can't have any issues or worry that he might run out. Worst case scenario - I'm only 20 mins away so he could drive LO to me for an emergency feed!

I would just tell him you don't want to give your baby formula. If anyone ever went against me and gave my child formula (even DH) I would be very angry. It is something I have no intention of using (unless there was absolutely no other alternative).

Ok I have over 50oz in the freezer now and I'm only going away for 24 hours! No way will he need formula!!! *smug face*

I would tell my DH to use the milk cos it has a limited shelf life and I wasnt pumping just to throw it out at a later date. Most men don't like wastage, certainly mine doesn't, so it might really appeal to him. I agree with pp, why would you buy formula when you have a great stash.

Is it his first time doing this? Maybe he is just nervous and wants all bases covered to make sure he is a good provider. My DS would not drink my thawed milk, not interested at all so we combi fed when I was in hospital for a week (mastitis), DS definietly preferred boob well over formula (as does DD) but formula over thawed milk. so all babies are different

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->