Hubby said no.... update p4 and some questions

pandv

Mummy to Dylan & Charlie
Reaction score
After doing my research and being really jealous of the cute fluff I've seen on here I tried to persuade my hubby it was a good idea to switch to cloth. He said no way - I can't persuade him to change his mind and I feel this is a battle I have already lost :cry: I went in full on yesterday because there were some gorgeous pre-loved nappies I was after but now they have gone. :dohh:

I wouldn't care - he is at work all day and I do most of the nappy changes but he's not having it - refuses to have buckets of nappies sitting around waiting to be washed.:growlmad:

I used to keep my nappy bucket just outside the back door .... so it wasn't 'just sitting around' ;)

Try persuading him with that option Hon :hugs::hugs:

Why not get a couple of cute wet bags and use those instead of a bucket? :(

I do sympathise, my husband didn't want me to use cloth either, but I insisted, and now, 13 months on, he has had his moments of being difficult (mostly when he is just being arsey about the noise of the washing machine or having a rack of nappies hanging in the hall) but he's 95% on board now. He also was very reluctant because of the idea of smelly buckets, but that was because his mother was a childminder when he was growing up (the late 70s/early 80s) and there were always buckets of nappies in soak everywhere. Thing is, as he has found, our one nappy bucket does not smell at all - we dry pail and put essential oils in the bottom, so that argument fell through.

I've lost other battles, though. Some people can be so stubborn. :(

A bucket of used washables smells a lot better than a bucket of used disposables! They also don't smell when they are on the baby, like disposables do!
Does he put the disposables outside as soon as he's changed your LO? As PP says, you can always put the bucket outside the back door.
Does your council have an incentive scheme? If so, you could get some free ones, and use them, and see if he even notices!!!
Tell him how much money you'll save by using washables- it can be as much as £700 on your first baby alone, and then subsequent babies come pretty much free! (Washing costs around 50p -£1 per week, depending on how you wash your nappies, and that includes wear and tear on your machine)

Then buy him some paper underpants, and ask him to wear them every day and night for a few days!!!!! See how he likes them!

Did he ask you for permission to use disposables? What would he do if you said NO to them?!

Personally I'd just do it. If he wants to use disposables when he's looking after LO, let him but when you're the one changing the baby it's up to you surely?

just put every nappy you change in a bucket for a few days even with a lid on you soon wont want it in your house then do the same thing with washables and you wont even notice they are there

I know it sounds ridiculous but I make most of the parenting decisions tbh so if he feels strongly about not using cloth I don't feel its fair to keep pushing. Our council do a scheme where you can claim £25 if you spend £50 and I said to him we could try a couple and if it doesn't work we haven't really spent a lot. Our council doesn't have bins and will only collect black bags so the disposables start off in an inside bin but they are wrapped in scented nappy sacks so we don't notice any smell. We do have a cat though and I was planning on keeping my nappy pail in the utility room with the cat litter box....

the cat litter will smell more then the nappy pail!

I know it sounds ridiculous but I make most of the parenting decisions tbh so if he feels strongly about not using cloth I don't feel its fair to keep pushing.

I can understand that cos we're the same - I make most of the decisions so when OH wants to do something a particular way I usually go along with it, but ONLY when he's got a proper reason! Like he thinks bibs and hairclips look uncomfortable for LO so I only use them when I have to. He has a valid reason for thinking that. If your OH's only reason for not wanting to use cloth nappies is the smell, well he's wrong about that so he doesn't have a valid reason so I wouldn't go along with that.

my OH wasnt to sure but i insisted so he went along and he finds it great a little extra work, he changes most the nappies and has no problem using them he now thinks everyone should have to use cloth, dont give up x

I've bombarded him with links on his e-mail at work today to make sure he is fully informed lol

It could be that he's using the silly reason (smelly nappies sitting around) to cover his real worries. Does he maybe think it will be too much work for you, or you'll want to buy loads and then give up so have wasted money? You could ask if you could start really gradually, like one nappy a day. Even if you never got further than that, that'd be 365 less disposables you'd use a year!

I've just had to deal with a huge poo explosion which resulted in a bath.

I think he is worried about how much I'll spend but I told him I would start off with a stash of about 10 e-bay cheapies and buy pre-loved to try the branded ones. I want to have enough to make it worthwhile doing full time but thought I could do that relatively cheaply by stocking up on e-bay first.

I also think now is a good time to start because he would be about ready for medium fitted nappies and we would still get a lot of use out of BTP nappies - see I have thought it through (I'm sure he thinks it's a spontaneous decision)

You're right. BTP nappies can look bulky on a small baby but at a couple of months old they're fine so you don't need to bother with smalls.

I didn't ask oh :blush: i just told him i was thinking of doing it and then went and did it lol . I don't think he really cares either way tbh!

My OH wasnt sure either, until we did the nappy trial our council does and he saw how easy it is, how much less rubbish we have in the bin and the fact the nappies dont smell when their in their bin!

Maybe you could agree to a month trial and go from there? xx

Also just thought of another way my hubby was persuaded, was by how soft they were on our LOs skin, that one won it for us! xx

i think what pursuaded my DH was that we dont have an outdoor bin and only have bag collection once a week and in disposables that would be 70+ disposibles each week in the bin which would reek!!! :sick: and when he realised we were spending £40 per month to keep the boys in sposies then he figured me spending £40 a month for 2-3 months then not spending money unless im selling and using that money to buy then it was a worthwhile investment

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->