Hubby said no.... update p4 and some questions

Hmmm I wore him down a bit and he has now told me to do what the hell I want :blush: I still haven't bought anything as I want him to really be on board not just doing it because he's been badgered into it.:cry:

How about letting him choose the first ever nappy you buy? Even if you want to go for fairly cheap ones normally, if you got something special from daddy that might help? You can get some amazing nappies with skulls or cars or stuff (and the ones that are good brands have a good resale value too). And there are some ebay cheapies around preloved at the moment if you want some of those :)

I'm so tempted by Jetters WNs at the minute - I wish they would sell cos I keep looking at them

hubby is still not convinced that it isn't a faff, but is happy for me to do it.
I REALLY got him on board when I let him design his very own Wee Notion. I told him that he can have whatever design and colour he wants.
He was so proud when he came up with his design, and even got excited when it arrived!! He is finally coming round.

I think the idea (sorry cant remember who said it) about spending the same amount for 3 months as what you would spend on disposables, buy some preloved and show him how much you can get for your money and how easy peasy they are! xx

it was me lol, my husband seems to have come around he seems alot happier than he did with cloth lol now just got to convince him about cloth wipes

I'm goinbg to remind my hubby how much we spend on reuseables next time he tells me off lol. For my wipes I just bought some fleece and cut it up and used it for liners as well as wipes, bargain! xx

I'm going down the route of the nasty chemicals in disposables at the minute - guilt him into it :blush:

Tell him that chemicals that are illegal in tampons for health reasons are still allowed in disposable nappies!

Oh and how about seeing some (imaginary?) nappy rash on LO so letting him have lots of nappy off time? If he (accidentally, of course) happened to wee on something belonging to your OH, you could just sigh and say "Oh well, it's your choice to use the disposables that give him nappy rash meaning that he needs nappy off time" :rofl:

the cat litter will smell more then the nappy pail!

It sure does!! :rofl:

My OH was happy with going cloth at first, but now he's not 100% about it, cos we've had a few leaks here n there when I havent changed the nappy soon enough (eg naps or eating etc) Our night nappies have been the biggest bane of the whole thing cos pretty much every night we were getting leaks so we're on a compromise now in that we use sposies at night and fluff during the day. I figure that one sposie per day is better than the usual 5 or 6 we were using before. Every little helps.

One day I will win the night nappy battle tho! :devil:

Tell him that chemicals that are illegal in tampons for health reasons are still allowed in disposable nappies!

Yes I think the "Did you know they banned the use of this stuff in tampons because it was linked to TSS but they still use it in nappies" might be swaying him

Honestly, where do these guys get that they should really even have an opinion on these things unless they are doing the bulk of the baby care?
Its not like the nappies would be sitting around for days and days, if they stunk I"m sure you'd throw them in the wash!
And yea using wet bags is a good idea.

when we first started out my hubby was against it completely, only gave in because i kept asking, so he gave in saying i could try if it would make me happy, i bought 3 ittis and when they first arrived he said they were nice but wasnt overlly keen, think he thought id hate it ect, then i started ordering more, he still wasnt sure, said i wouldnt like em long n he wasnt dealing with nappy changes or washing them ect, well today over 3 months later he loves them, he changes them, rinses them, chooses new ones, and when i asked if hed go back to disposables he said nope, he now hates them.

his reasons are beacause they are softer n better for her skin,no rashes, stop leaks, are pretty, you can make some money back and they smell less when on and when off! he was even worried about the getting too stained and now is impressed what the sun can do, has even made a little hanging place on the backdoor for when its raining to the light can still get to them. he even uses reusable wipes now too :)

i would just buy one and show your hubby exactly how soft, easy n better they are in reality!

x

In my home it was the exact opposite. BUT my hubby insisted he couldn't stand spending all that money every week/month/year. We started small with just enough nappies for the day but now that we've been using cloth for over a month... I just went and bought more covers and prefolds. I'm now happy to say that I'm all in! It's not as hard or as gross as your hubby might think and tell him I said so. I don't keep a bucket waiting around the changer, I bring them right to the wash. By 6pm there's enough to wash w/o feeling guilty for wasting water. They really don't sit and if you think about it disposables sit for way WAY longer. Also bonus for baby... my little boy has no more red irritated bottom since we switched. I think all the crap they make disposables with was irritating his skin. They don't smell, it's not hard to do (put them together and put them in your caddy), and it saves tons of $$ not to mention the landfill.
I'd try again or at least get him to give it a shot. It's worth it.
P

Ok I think I've won.

My plan is to buy some ebay cheapies to get us started (probs 10 or so). We go on holiday in a few weeks so hopefully I will get them before we go and I can pre-wash them and have them ready to use when we get back. I'm also going to buy a few pre-loved so we can see what works for us.

I'll probably wait and see how we get on with the inserts for now before buying extras but will need to get some liners. Can anyone recommend any re-usable liners or am I better off just buying a couple of fleece blankets from our pound shop and cutting them up for liners? I'm trying to keep costs down for now to show DH it doesn't have to be huge set up costs.

I wouldn't buy 10 of anything to be honest, especially cheapies. Yes they work for a lot of people but you might be somebody they don't work for and I don't think it would help the discussion with your OH if you had TEN nappies that didn't work! Instead, I would buy a couple of different types preloved (people often sell on ebay cheapies too so you can try one of those without having to wait for international shipping!) and then go from there. There's no need to suddenly stop using disposables, in fact I think lots of people find it better to gradually ease into it. That way there's no pressure.

wss. I wouldn't buy 10 of anything unless I knew it was something worked for us. if you were to get a great deal because of buying in bulk, then it's something to consider because many nappy retailers will allow you to return unwashed and unused nappies. When I first bought BumGenius pockets, I bought 5 because I had a council voucher and I *hoped* they'd be good for us, but I only washed and used 2 till I was certain I wanted to keep them. also buying a few different types preloved means if you really don't get on with one you aren't going to have your husband calling disaster on the whole thing.

as for fleece, you won't need more than 1 blanket to cut up. they are massive and you'd get so many liners out of one!

wss. I wouldn't buy 10 of anything unless I knew it was something worked for us. if you were to get a great deal because of buying in bulk, then it's something to consider because many nappy retailers will allow you to return unwashed and unused nappies. When I first bought BumGenius pockets, I bought 5 because I had a council voucher and I *hoped* they'd be good for us, but I only washed and used 2 till I was certain I wanted to keep them. also buying a few different types preloved means if you really don't get on with one you aren't going to have your husband calling disaster on the whole thing.

as for fleece, you won't need more than 1 blanket to cut up. they are massive and you'd get so many liners out of one!

Agreed, I bought a large fleece blanket from Dunelm (£3.99) and I managed to get about 40 liners out of it, which I'm still using now, 3 months after first starting with fluff :D They're starting to look a bit bobbly now but tbh, they're only there to help keep the wet away from LO's skin and also to protect the nappy from those dreaded poonamis!

So just checking I've got this right - you buy a normal fleece blanket and chop it into bits (how big approx please) and then use that to line the nappy instead of the ones you throw away down the loo? Then just wash as normal (with the nappies I assume) and reuse?

Could I use the fleece blankets I've got lurking in the cupboard instead of buying new? They've just been on the kids beds and are out of vogue (they usually get at least one each christmas lol) but nothing wrong with them. Eg I think one is a hsm which neither daughter would be seen dead with now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->