HUGE baby - place your bets on size ;)

LoneWanderer

Reaction score
I am 40 weeks as of Friday. First baby.
Induction is booked for 41 weeks exactly.
Midwife has admitted that a section instead of induction is very possible.
Baby was already 7lb11oz (estimated, of course) at 38 week growth scan.

Midwife attempted sweep today but it failed. Baby is not engaged. Quite possibly because it doesn't fit in my pelvis... Booked for two more, but midwife has warned not to get my hopes up.
Have already been summoned to see a consultant since scan, who described it (and I quote) as a "top of the range" baby. Then mentioned something about a 'big baby club' monitoring trial thing that I'm now in.
Oh, and I mentioned my wish for a natural water birth to the midwife today - and she looked at me with pity.

I'm 5ft3, was 9 stone pre-pregnancy. 13.5 now. Bump is MASSIVE and, clearly, so is baby.
No point worrying though. Gotta laugh really. It's coming out one way or another.

So... anyone wanna guess on final size? I'm starting us off with 10lb4oz. :rofl:

I’m going to be the first person so say I can guarantee they are a bit off and baby is a lot smaller than expected so I’m gonna say 8lb 6!!
Either way will be so gorgeous!!!! Xx

I’m 5ft3 and my last bub was 10lb7, born vaginally, no drugs, all went fine. Just wanted to reassure you that petite ladies can birth big bubs, good luck and I hope all goes well.

I’m going to be the first person so say I can guarantee they are a bit off and baby is a lot smaller than expected so I’m gonna say 8lb 6!!
Either way will be so gorgeous!!!! Xx

I disagree that they will be way off. Machines are a lot more accurate today and they can actually get a ton more info then they use to. I was told my first born would be almost 10lbs and he was early at 9.6lbs and baby #2 was estimated to be the around the same and was 3 weeks early at 8.6lbs. Both were extremely accurate.

Im boing to guess about 9.10lbs. Good luck!

I was told to expect a 10-11lb baby with DS and he was "only" 8lb 7oz and 4 days overdue, so definitely not always accurate.

Ill go with a 8lb 10oz guess!

Hi hon my growth scan was wrong. My little man so say weighed 6lb 13 at 34 weeks and even tho I was induced early I was told he wud be a good 8 1/2 to 9lbs.

He was only 7lbs 10oz hon
That's 3 times those scans have got it wrong with me now.
I expect u will on only have a 8lb baby hon which is not big at all. Maybe even a little bit less.
Ure be fine hon.

Haha, y'all are lovely with the reassurances about scans being off. I'm with Cewsbaby though. Pretty sure the scan is about right for us - I can feel baby in there, and it is certainly a whopper. Head is down, bum is somewhere up under my boobs, feet tucked back down near its face - yet I can still feel arms punching me in the sides! Waters doing okay but not deep at any point - bump is *all baby*. Plus, we saw it on the scan and it is a bloody chunky one, all chubby cheeks and fat knees...

Like I say, I'm not worried. Well, no more than I was about labour in general. Disappointed about the water thing - they're very concerned about possible caught shoulders and it not even engaging, so sounds like I won't even be allowed to try in the pool, in case it all goes wrong and I need assistance quickly. But hell, get an epidural in me and I'll have a go at pushing the hefty bugger out - and if that doesn't work, I guess it's coming through the sunroof! :rofl:

Not for you to want to come and hunt me down but, I'm going to guess 10lb 2oz :rofl:

Haha, y'all are lovely with the reassurances about scans being off. I'm with Cewsbaby though. Pretty sure the scan is about right for us - I can feel baby in there, and it is certainly a whopper. Head is down, bum is somewhere up under my boobs, feet tucked back down near its face - yet I can still feel arms punching me in the sides! Waters doing okay but not deep at any point - bump is *all baby*. Plus, we saw it on the scan and it is a bloody chunky one, all chubby cheeks and fat knees...

Like I say, I'm not worried. Well, no more than I was about labour in general. Disappointed about the water thing - they're very concerned about possible caught shoulders and it not even engaging, so sounds like I won't even be allowed to try in the pool, in case it all goes wrong and I need assistance quickly. But hell, get an epidural in me and I'll have a go at pushing the hefty bugger out - and if that doesn't work, I guess it's coming through the sunroof! :rofl:

This made me LAUGH!!!! Coming through the sun roof:rofl:

My 2nd baby was 8lb 7oz at a 38 week scan. He was born 2.5 weeks later weighing 8lb.

Alternatively, i was told my 3rd was gonna be smaller but he was 9lb 13oz.

I am going to guess at 8lb 10oz.

I could read your threads all day. You crack me up! I am going to guess 9lb 12oz!

I’ve also been told to expect a ‘whopper’ but that’s only based on my son who was born on his due date and was 9lb 6oz. So we will see! X

I disagree that they will be way off. Machines are a lot more accurate today and they can actually get a ton more info then they use to. I was told my first born would be almost 10lbs and he was early at 9.6lbs and baby #2 was estimated to be the around the same and was 3 weeks early at 8.6lbs. Both were extremely accurate.

Im boing to guess about 9.10lbs. Good luck!
I think its diff for everyone. I had a scan at 37 weeks and told baby was 7lb10 and I was induced 2 weeks later and she was only 7lb1 so they were wrong. My middle child was told hed be over 8lb at term he was 2 weeks late and only 7lb9. They tell you to allow 20% off either side

It interests me that you guys are told the possible size of your baby at late ultrasounds or even that you get ultrasounds that late in pregnancy. The medical systems in each country differ so much!

I’m in Canada(AB) and unless you are high risk you only get a 12 week(dating) and 20 week (anatomy) ultrasound. I don’t think they estimate size by lbs only by growth percentiles.

I’m going to guess 8lbs 10 oz!

It interests me that you guys are told the possible size of your baby at late ultrasounds or even that you get ultrasounds that late in pregnancy. The medical systems in each country differ so much!

I’m in Canada(AB) and unless you are high risk you only get a 12 week(dating) and 20 week (anatomy) ultrasound. I don’t think they estimate size by lbs only by growth percentiles.

In the UK you only get 12 and 20 as standard, too. And they don't tell you weights or measurements.
Unless they think your bump measures under or over, or unless you show signs of diabetes or some other complication - or any other worry about baby. Then they do the extra scans with detailed measurements to check all is going okay. Our 38 week actually came about because midwife thought my bump was measuring smaller than it should(!!!)
We also had a scan at 8 weeks because we were worried about baby in the early days, there wasn't much to see though.

It's crazy how it varies! I know my first baby was 30th percentile, my second was 65th and this baby is expected to be 75th, so bigger than my other two but not by much :)

It's crazy how it varies! I know my first baby was 30th percentile, my second was 65th and this baby is expected to be 75th, so bigger than my other two but not by much :)
Weird how close ours were based on percentile!
1- 32nd percentile born 39 weeks 6.13
2- 60th percentile born 39 weeks 6.13
3- 74th percentile will be born 39 weeks and I’ll update weight! Lol

I'm in Ontario and got a growth scan at 35 weeks. My bump was measuring normal the entire time but blood work at 12 weeks apparently had a marker for possibly being prone to having a small baby. I'm having a perfectly average sized baby, it's just a peace of mind thing. My sister got one around 36 weeks as well because she told her midwife she was concerned she was measuring 1-2 weeks small the whole time. It seems pretty easy to get one if it's requested but it isn't standard like the 12 and 20 week scans.

I had lots of growth scans with my girls due to gd. Amazing equipment and regular scans - only accurate with baby 2.

Baby 1 they said she was 5lb 11oz and she was born over 3 weeks later weighing 6lb.

Baby 3 she was apparently 7lb 3 weeks before she was born at 7lb 1.

I’d guess your baby will be about 9lb! Good luck, my nephew was my sisters first child and 10lb and natural delivery with minimal complications, my sil her second time was 10lb 4 and born naturally all ok x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->