Huge drop in supply, please help!!

halullat

Reaction score
I've not been eating and drinking very much for a week due to illness and my supply has plummeted, I've been so fed up about this but then yesterday I had to go for a scan with radioactive dyes so can't breastfeed him for 24 hours afterwards. I've managed to pump 3 times on each side which is just useless. My supply is so weak and I'm so scared my milk will be no good, it is slightly green and smells a bit odd. I'm on loads of medication and I just feel so incredibly useless. My poor boy has barely eaten and just screams when he is offered the bottle, he's nearly 6 months and I'm so sad that I've let him down so badly.

Oh it seems like you've had a bad run, I'm sorry!

Is there someone else that can provide the bottle for you? My son refused the bottle from me for some time. If that doesn't work, you could try a sippy cup or some milk on a spoon? It'll take longer but at least you'll get some milk in him.

As for your supply, just pump as much as you can while you can't bf, as it'll mimic the action and hopefully stimulate milk production. Once every 2 hours or so maybe. But remember that the pump isn't as effective as baby, so you may not get as much milk.

When you're allowed to bf again, baby may need a bout of clusterfeeding. Then just watch wet and dirty diapers to make sure he is getting enough. You can regain your supply with hard work, but if you don't, please don't feel like you've failed him. Seems like you have been through a lot. Best of luck hun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->