HV Advice

Sinead

Reaction score
I saw the HV last week, who asked if Alex was on solids yet. I said no and asked how would I know when the time was right. His (yep, we have a male HV) advice was to keep it simple and when she wakes in the night. He also advised that weaning was between 4 and 6 months rather than just 6 months.

I don't feel ready to wean Alex just yet, but am confused by the advice. Any help please?

That's really bad advice from your HV and can't believe they're giving out advice like that!

Waking in the night can mean *anything* - there's a big growth spurt around 4 months which causes a lot of babies to seem more hungry than usual and therefore this is misread as 'milk not satisfying them enough', waking in the night and being generally groucy. Teething isn't uncommon to start around 4 months which can also cause LO to wake in the night.

The official guidelines state from 6 months - it's obviously up to you though whether you follow them.

The reason why packs say from 4months is (apparently) because back in the 50/60s, the guidelines where 3-4months to start weaning and a law was passed to say that companies had to state this on the packaging of food. But since then, the guidelines have changed to 6months but the law hasn't been updated so companies can still get away from stating 'suitable from 4months' on their packaging.

There are other things to look out for to see if LO is ready for solids which include, loss of the tongue thrust reflex, sitting up unaided or sitting up well with support, good hand-eye coordination and a very keen interest in food / mealtimes.

I'm sure others will be able to provide more help too x

My health visitor said that from April the guidelines are changing to 17-20 weeks to start weaning. I think you should wait until at least 20 weeks though unless advised otherwise by a doctor.

Why do they keep changing things??? I waited until Sam was 6 months but even then he wasn't ready! He was only really ready at about 7 months.

I also heard the guidelines are changing too.

But they havnt yet so,if you really want advice that you know is right goontothe department of healths website I think It still says 6 months

Aidan showed more signs whenI weaned him early.If you dont think your LO is ready hun then dont do it
xx

other signs are when your LO starts showing an interest in food - ie when you eat say a banana, she/he will look at you putting into your mouth, watch your mouth intently, & also try to grab at the banana,
also starting to put toys, things in her/his mouth

With me i waited till they had the above signs, esp, able to sit up unaided.

With Faith she was 7 mths, & with Christina she was 6 mths - & both times i started slowly, with blended rice for breakfast first, then continually & gradually added on lunch, etc, while still keeping to their bf, nap & sleep schedule - until they were on 3 meals a day...then when i was confident they were fine with their meals, i then started experimenting with recipes etc..

I understand the advice of waiting till 6mths, and also understand that every child is different. Alex just seems a bit too little iykwim, even though she is doing some of things you've mentioned. Although dh is buying some baby rice today I think it can just stay in the cupboard for a bit longer.

Thanks for the help xxx

Agree with everything Faille said hon, trust your instincts, no need to introduce anything if you don't think she's ready

My health visitor said that from April the guidelines are changing to 17-20 weeks to start weaning. I think you should wait until at least 20 weeks though unless advised otherwise by a doctor.

Really?? Honestly that makes a mockery of the guidelines!

I have thought all along that the 6mth thing was an experiment and had no real research to say why they said it...if they bring out this new guideline then there will be some very red faced forum users who have 'chastised' early weaners, seeing as the guidelines were 4 months just 3 years ago!

I agree that simply relying on night waking is not the way to go - this is what happened with Izzy, however it wasn't the only thing, and also went on for much longer than could be explained by a growth spurt.

Just an update - been to the library and got Baby-led Weaning by Gill Rapley. I've had a quick glace at it and it seems the way to go. Also doesn't look as difficult as I thought it would be - meaning what foods to give and when and how much

My HV and a friends HV also recommend weaning anytime from 17wks once they show signs and that alot of health professionals dont agree with waiting to 6 months. So long as you avoid gluten, eggs, salt sugar etc it's ok.
Each baby is different and some babies are ready to wean before 6 months.

I have started to wean my LO from 19wks under the advice of my HV as she was showing all the signs and I for one do not feel guilty about it as she is a lot more contented recently.

I don't think anyone should feel 'red faced' for following government guidelines and encouraging others to do so IF those people ask for advice. I for one won't be embarrassed for waiting to wean Aisling just because the government change their guidelines yet again.

I don't think anyone should feel 'red faced' for following government guidelines and encouraging others to do so IF those people ask for advice. I for one won't be embarrassed for waiting to wean Aisling just because the government change their guidelines yet again.

If this was in reply to my post then i think you misread what I wrote.

I didn't say they should feel red faced for following the guidelines - I said the ones who criticised those who had made the decision to wean early - bearing in mind that 6 months guideline will have been in place for, I believe, less than 4 years, compared to many years of 4 months being the guide.

My HV is the total opposite, honestley, where do they get their ideas from? If the cant agree, then why should we listen as mothers?

Yeah my clinic are very definite about waiting until 6 months. I've heard it being said over and over. I am not going to be 'red faced' for encouraging others to wait until 6 months to wean either. There are loads and loads of reasons for waiting until 6 months, not just because the government 'told us to do so'. Having waited until 6 months to start BLW (and Ruby not eating til 7m) I can't imagine weaning a younger baby.

Sorry to sound a bit thick but what would 20 weeks work out to into month?

xx

My HV is the total opposite, honestley, where do they get their ideas from? If the cant agree, then why should we listen as mothers?

:nope: its so confusing isn't it?...personally this is y i stopped going to see the HV. there were so many mixed opinions. I tend to research things myself these days and make up my own mind once i've got info from all sides.

there is a lot of medical evidence to back up the fact that it can b a health risk to wean earlier than 6 months (the earlier the more risk there is)...infact quite a lot of eveidence points 2wards waiting even longer! This is y i do BLW. its a slower progression and in my opinion thats a safeery, healthier way of doing things. But i guess its up to everyone to make up their own mind.

i know the weaning age was 4 months (and younger) for many years...but science teaches us things so i don't think going by what 'used' to be the norm is a very sensible way of doing things....people didn't think smoking was bad for our health for many years but now we know different:dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->